Trade Up Scenario?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Still wouldnt do it, we would have to give up too much. I would think about it if we had a year with only 1 or 2 glaring needs, but not when we have more than 6
    We had a ton of glaring needs when we made the trade for Eli.

Basically, I look at it like this ... if we trade up and the guy turns out to be a stud, no one will care what we traded to move up (within reason of course). If we move up for the wrong guy .....
    Last edited by TCHOF; 01-04-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be safe to assume if they want to trade with us, they are sure that "our guy" isn't "their guy" and if they are making us a fair offer it means they don't want to move far (trade with people further down the chain) for worry that "their guy" won't be there at #4? If they trade with the Colts and the Colts take "our guy" which forces us to take "their guy" they will be feeling pretty dumb at #3. I can see the argument for both sides, but I just hope it's not a decision that's made on a whim. When you know that all the teams up high in the draft want the same position, I don't think you want to look for a dance partner.
      I think they are going to use that #1 pick with no attempted antics and try to do any cashing in with their #4 pick, unless they want the RB and he's still in play.
      Last edited by FanOfTheGmen; 01-04-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Yes I would however you canít get bentover for it. IMO there is a limit you should be willing to pay. If Cleveland asked for 3 first I pass. Now if they say swap first a second this year and a second next year I might pull the trigger. Also it depends on what I was able to accomplish in FA to address my biggest weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post
          Yes I would however you canít get bentover for it. IMO there is a limit you should be willing to pay. If Cleveland asked for 3 first I pass. Now if they say swap first a second this year and a second next year I might pull the trigger. Also it depends on what I was able to accomplish in FA to address my biggest weakness.
          That is bending us over, the pick isn't even worth one 2nd round. Our 3rd, 4th and 5th from this draft is what the pick is worth. Which is better than us letting go of a 2nd, because we haven't gotten any starters past the 2nd round (at least out of Reese), and it would be better to have a draft history with Gettleman as GM anyways so we can begin to know what to expect with his drafting, of course if he does trade up, that in of itself will give us an idea of what to expect with his drafting, and I'm not so sure that is a good thing. As some have said though, the QB is an important piece and if he does turn into a franchise QB, nobody will remember or care to remember what it cost to get him, but it's always a gamble with a first round pick anyways, and a big gamble at that, when you trade up to get him you better be sure he can deliver. I don't think anybody will argue there is any position that costed more GM's their jobs, so the guy doesn't have the easiest start to his job, and it's not really fair to evaluate him on whether he does get it right on the first try, this is something we never had the chance to evaluate Reese on because he had a franchise QB for his whole career as GM. It's probably the most worrisome part of a GM's (who starts his career off with a franchise QB's) job to address, but that is a luxury Gettleman will never be afforded and one Reese always took for granted as we witnessed by how he let a good OL be run into the ground without making strides to fix it. However, fair or not, Gettleman will probably be judged greatly on his ability to address the need at the position which isn't always even in the cards for most GMs, but obviously it's not a position you can ignore and have success, so you have to take a chance on a QB at some point (before the team suffers). Again, fair or not, Gettleman will probably be judged/evaluated with a double standard, if he takes a QB and he doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB, he will be criticized negatively for it, if he passes on a QB that turns into a franchise QB he will be criticized negatively for it. We should however bear in mind when passing judgement that this is something that could have cost Reese his job a long time ago had he not come into a good thing. Hopefully Gettleman gets it right the first try whenever that may be, but hopefully he is afforded a few attempts before he is shown the door, probably even some good GMs have a weakness of not being able to accurately evaluate QB talent. Hope for the best is all we can do...If he gets it right, then onto the next need. Ofcourse fixing the OL before addressing the QB "need" is another way to go. We may be passing up another SB run if we address the QB now, but if it sets us up for a decade of stability at the position, it could be worth the cost.

Anyways,...here's what the draft picks are worth.
          http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php
          Last edited by FanOfTheGmen; 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
            What if the Giants aren't willing to just take the leftover QB that Cleveland doesn't pick? What if they fall in love with one guy and decide that he is "their guy"?

Don't they have to try to swap picks with Cleveland to make sure that they land their guy?

My vote is yes.
            well. if they do that we will hate while we rebuild for as many years as it takes............. that is best case... worst case they do it and miss on their pick and the guy they take stinks... i don't even want to think about it...very risky.... i would hope it does not have to happen that way.

Comment

I'm not sure why they would have to trade up to get their guy. If the Browns want the same dude, they will just draft him. So really you are hoping the Browns want the guy you don't want and if that's the case then you can just sit at pick #2 and take that QB.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                I'm not sure why they would have to trade up to get their guy. If the Browns want the same dude, they will just draft him. So really you are hoping the Browns want the guy you don't want and if that's the case then you can just sit at pick #2 and take that QB.
                The Browns are going to tell us who they are going to pick ahead of time?

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

The Browns are going to tell us who they are going to pick ahead of time?
                  Maybe if we offer them a jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bVm5qsbbM
                  Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X