Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HB's draft in Round 1 since 1990. Super Bowls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB's draft in Round 1 since 1990. Super Bowls?

Players and have they won a Super Bowl with the team which drafted them.

2017: Leonard Fournette (4th) - not yet and Jags had the easiest strength of schedule in league
    2016: Zeke Elliott (4th) - DeMarco Murray couldn't have done just as well?
    2015: Todd Gurley (10th) - Rams were so bad they got the #1 pick and took Goff
    2012: Trent Richardson (3rd) nope
    2011: Mark Ingram (28th) - I think he did. Drafted 28th and had a QB
    2010: CJ Spiller (9th) - OH BOY DID GIANTS FANS WANT HIM. OH WE HAVE TO GET SPILLER. GAME CHANGER - no Super Bowl
    2009: Knowshon Moreno (12th) - mind escapes me if he won
    2008: Darren McFadden (4th) - Eric Dickerson II - ah, nope
    2007: Adrian Peterson (7th) - Jim Brown II - ah, nope
    2006: Reggie Bush (2nd) - AMAZING PLAYER - CAN'T MISS - Nice hype
    2005: Ronnie Brown (2nd) - Nice player but . . . .
    2004: Steven Jackson (24th) - No QB, no chance
    2003: Willis McGahee (23rd) - how many teams did he play on?
    2002: William Green (16th) - ahhhh
    2001: LaDanian Tomlinson (5th) - IMO, he may have been actually worth it. Closest thing to Barry Sanders. Super Bowls, nope.
    2000: Jamal Lewis (5th) - Rookie Season Super Bowl and one of the best defenses of all-time
    1999: Edgerrin James (4th) - nope
    1998: Curtis Enis (5th) - LOL
    1997: Warrick Dunn (12th) - he actually did get one in Tampa
    1996: Lawrence Phillips (6th) - He didn't even win the Prison Super Bowl. Thanks George Young for not trading up or down. Just take a one-eyed DE. Did the Rams win? Nope
    1995: Ki-Jana Carter (1st) - LOL - AMAZING CAN'T MISS Player
    1994: Marshall Faulk (2nd) - nope - was traded and then won. Kurt Warner was the MVP
    1993: Garrison Hearst (3rd) - lol - may have got one with the 49ers
    1992: Tommy Vardell (9th) - TD Tommy, nope
    1991: Leonard Russell (14th) - can't even remember him
    1990: Blair Thomas (2nd) - Oh Baby, nobody can see a pattern of Penn St HB's can they?

Meanwhile the Giants won with Joe Morris, Andersson, Jacobs and Bradshaw. They didn't win with 2,000 yard seasons from Tiki either.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS; 01-12-2018, 07:56 PM.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Correlation =/ causation

Comment

In the Giants long history they have only drafted two running backs in the 1st round that succeeded.

Frank Gifford and Rodney Hampton.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
          Correlation =/ causation
          Good players don't cause Super Bowls?

Comment

Oh wait, how could I forget David Wilson?

Comment

Great post.
              Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

How did no gain Dane work out for us?

Comment

It's not like a lot of those RB ie Sanders and Tomlinson were the reasons why their teams couldn't win a SB. They did their part and went to several playoff games.

Comment

If it weren't for a career ending injury, david wilson was freaking special. It was just a damn shame that coughlin ostracized him after his 2 fumbles and stifled his rookie season. Props to andy reed for the way he went back to Kareem Hunt after his fumble on his first nfl carry. The guy went on to have the greatest single game of any rookie's debut in NFL history.

Wilson was easily in the top5 fastest rb's to ever hit the league, and had the power to injure linebackers when he used the truck-strick, like he did to that New Orleans Saints LB.

If only we could have seen his full potential. Sadly it was even more stifled when the NFL took away kickoffs by moving it up 5 years and making everything an automatic touchback. His return average was outstanding and gave us unimaginably great field position. GAH! It makes me mad to think what could have been and how he would have helped this team. TC was all about field position and David Wilson was the gamechanger in that regard.

Comment

Now can we do one with WR'S, QB'S, TE'S, DE'S DT'S, etc,etc/ Interesting though. It's always been more than one person though. You can have the best HB, WR, etc in the game, means nothing if the rest of the team is garbage.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'll try to find the link, but there was a good article about how the teams that get to the SB draft, and the gist of it was that they were taking Linemen (Offensive and Defensive) and Defensive Backs in Round 1. I believe the article made the concession that Franchise QB was indeed already in place.

Let me look for it.

Comment

Hopefully we draft a QB.
                          sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. G-Man View Post
                            If it weren't for a career ending injury, david wilson was freaking special. It was just a damn shame that coughlin ostracized him after his 2 fumbles and stifled his rookie season. Props to andy reed for the way he went back to Kareem Hunt after his fumble on his first nfl carry. The guy went on to have the greatest single game of any rookie's debut in NFL history.

Wilson was easily in the top5 fastest rb's to ever hit the league, and had the power to injure linebackers when he used the truck-strick, like he did to that New Orleans Saints LB.

If only we could have seen his full potential. Sadly it was even more stifled when the NFL took away kickoffs by moving it up 5 years and making everything an automatic touchback. His return average was outstanding and gave us unimaginably great field position. GAH! It makes me mad to think what could have been and how he would have helped this team. TC was all about field position and David Wilson was the gamechanger in that regard.
                            I think this is the "miss" that haunts Reese and the GIANTS the most out of the last decade. Because Wilson really wasn't a "miss" we saw the speed and explosion and big play capability. I remember that Saints game, he got a hole to the left, stuck his foot in the ground, cut right, and hit 5th gear in one step and was gone. The Speed on that play was Chris Johnson-esque.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...son-highlights
                            Last edited by Tommy_Ribs; 01-04-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Adding David Wilson Highlight URL vs the Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

I think this is the "miss" that haunts Reese and the GIANTS the most out of the last decade. Because Wilson really wasn't a "miss" we saw the speed and explosion and big play capability. I remember that Saints game, he got a hole to the left, stuck his foot in the ground, cut right, and hit 5th gear in one step and was gone. The Speed on that play was Chris Johnson-esque.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...son-highlights
                              Man the potential not coming to fruition makes me wanna cry... AAAHHH stupid bad luck!!! The football gods took him away from us right as he was beginning to blossom. I truly believe he would have been as good as Ladainian Tomlinson.

Comment

Working...
                              X