Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HB's draft in Round 1 since 1990. Super Bowls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ALLnygIN View Post
    Now can we do one with WR'S, QB'S, TE'S, DE'S DT'S, etc,etc/ Interesting though. It's always been more than one person though. You can have the best HB, WR, etc in the game, means nothing if the rest of the team is garbage.
    Exactly. You dont have to be the best hb but you better have a good top tier rushing attack team if you wanna make a deep playoff run.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jay051 View Post

      Exactly. You dont have to be the best hb but you better have a good top tier rushing attack team if you wanna make a deep playoff run.
      agree - in 2011 the Giants didn't rush well until they needed it in the playoffs. Have to run the football but you don't need a top 2 pick at HB to do it.

      Comment


      • #18
        However...
        Every team's 1st round draft pick is meant to bring a SB (why else would you draft anyone?)... so you would have to do this for every position to make it mean anything.
        How many 1st round OL or DB on their original team won a SB?
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by keyofgmen View Post
          However...
          Every team's 1st round draft pick is meant to bring a SB (why else would you draft anyone?)... so you would have to do this for every position to make it mean anything.
          How many 1st round OL or DB on their original team won a SB?
          Doesn't work out that way does it? Stats indicate building blocks of a Super Bowl team are against going HB in Round 1.

          Comment


          • #20
            trading down having depth and solid players at each position seems to be the best formula than having one or a few star player(s). just noticing.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post
              trading down having depth and solid players at each position seems to be the best formula than having one or a few star player(s). just noticing.
              how did that work out in the 90's when the Giants had a really nice roster and Qb was the weak link?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post

                how did that work out in the 90's when the Giants had a really nice roster and Qb was the weak link?
                i dunno man. enlighten me. I'm not sure i get your point really. You seem to not want a RB as evidenced by your thread. Are you saying we take a Qb no matter what? plenty of Qbs bust also. I'm not sold on any particular plan being definitely the best plan. I'm curious and excited to see what gettleman does. There are many ways to skin a cat. I'd say the safest plan is to trade down to number 4 spot or 5 spot and then take a QB. (hedges your bets). I'm curious what you have in mind though.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

                  i dunno man. enlighten me. I'm not sure i get your point really. You seem to not want a RB as evidenced by your thread. Are you saying we take a Qb no matter what? plenty of Qbs bust also. I'm not sold on any particular plan being definitely the best plan. I'm curious and excited to see what gettleman does. There are many ways to skin a cat. I'd say the safest plan is to trade down to number 4 spot or 5 spot and then take a QB. (hedges your bets). I'm curious what you have in mind though.
                  Are you saying pass on the #2 pick with a 37 yr old QB and the understanding of how costly the price is to move up for a QB years from now?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post

                    Are you saying pass on the #2 pick with a 37 yr old QB and the understanding of how costly the price is to move up for a QB years from now?
                    Not necessarily no. It depends a bunch on davis webb and FA also. maybe they get case keenum or teddy bridgewater or sam bradford.....maybe they aren't sold on these Qbs that high in the draft. maybe they think the risk of bust is too high for all of h=them....maybe they believe eli has 5 more good years left in him. i don't think we have quite enough info yet. But you did not answer the question? what is YOUR plan?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

                      Not necessarily no. It depends a bunch on davis webb and FA also. maybe they get case keenum or teddy bridgewater or sam bradford.....maybe they aren't sold on these Qbs that high in the draft. maybe they think the risk of bust is too high for all of h=them....maybe they believe eli has 5 more good years left in him. i don't think we have quite enough info yet. But you did not answer the question? what is YOUR plan?
                      So what is Webb? A 3rd Round pick who took 10 snaps under center in practice. Now what?

                      My plan? Draft a QB and go OL in FA and likely that second round pick. Restructure Eli and trade, cut Marhall, restructure DRC and cut Harris

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...ccorsi-in-love

                        some fair points

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          But you can't deny that Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs contributed to our winning Super Bowls. Yes, they weren't drafted in the 1st round, but their contribution were significant. I remember when Ahmad Bradshaw was drafted in the 7th round I was telling my friends: "He's going to be the future of the Giants, he's going to be amazing". Which was a ridiculous comment to make about a 7th round pick, hardly ANY 7th round picks make it in the NFL. If you watched his college footage you just couldn't believe this kid got slept on that much. It was amazing he lasted until the 7th round. His effort jumped off the screen in college. He just refused to go down after first contact. In college football you usually see running back after running back that runs through holes the width of 18 wheelers. They just have to hit a hole at top speed, and that's their entire career tape. Ahmad's tape was him plowing down defenders, breaking tackles, and creating jukes, spins, etc to gain yardage. He was a gem.

                          When I see Barkley I see something special in him too. Especially his ability to be a receiving RB. He can be a true 3 down back. A running back is only as good as the offensive line he has blocking for him. If you were to draft Barkley you better have an elite line blocking, or you are wasting the pick. Look at Tiki Barber's highlights, look at the blocking he got. Tiki only played 7 full seasons (in terms of carries). If he played as long as Frank Gore did, with a line as dominate as the Giants (during that time) he would be top 3 all time in rushing yards if not the #1 RB in the history of the NFL. He averaged 4.7 yards per carry on his career. That's better than every RB within the top 5 of all time BUT Barry Sanders. Barry averaged 5 yards per carry.
                          Last edited by compaqnigg; 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post

                            So what is Webb? A 3rd Round pick who took 10 snaps under center in practice. Now what?
                            nobody has a clue. my personal suspicion is he isn't a franchise QB but a good backup QB.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

                              nobody has a clue. my personal suspicion is he isn't a franchise QB but a good backup QB.
                              My plan? Draft a QB and go OL in FA and likely that second round pick. Restructure Eli and trade, cut Marhall, restructure DRC and cut Harris

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post

                                My plan? Draft a QB and go OL in FA and likely that second round pick. Restructure Eli and trade, cut Marhall, restructure DRC and cut Harris
                                so no trading down then?

                                i see it this way...
                                4 QBs i like
                                rudoplh
                                darnold
                                rosen
                                mayfield

                                all have risk and therefore i prefer to hedge my bets and trade down to 4th or 5th spot.... then take a QB...if i miss then i'm covered by the extra picks i got in return.....if they are all gone i can grab barkely or nelson and i'm still covered because part of the deal was getting number one for next years draft...i can use that to trade up next year again if need be... the plan only works if you aren't married to any one prospect. me i'm most married to mayfield as a QB pick, but what if i'm wrong?....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X