Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 NFL Draft: New year, new GM, new mock draft ó Big Blue Viewís first mock draft of 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 NFL Draft: New year, new GM, new mock draft ó Big Blue Viewís first mock draft of 2018

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/1/6...rosen-mayfield

Excerpt: "With 2018 upon us and Draft Season well and truly here for the New York Giants, itís time for our first mock draft.

We are getting more underclassmen declaring for the 2018 NFL Draft each day, but it is still just a bit silly to do a mock draft before we know which players will be in the draft ó not to mention before we know what the Giantsí coaching staff will even look like.

BUT ... Itís that time of year, and these things are supposed to be fun. For my first mock of the year, and the only one in absence of a coaching staff, Iíll be taking the reins of the Giantsí draft, rather than trying to think what they will do.

If there is one silver lining to the black cloud that hung over Giants Stadium in 2017, itís that we donít have long to wait or far to go to get to the Giantsí picks in each round.
    1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold (QB, USC) - Early indications are that Darnold is the likely top pick in the draft. He has all the measurables and flashes star upside, however there are also issues in his game. He probably would have been better served with a situation where he could sit and learn, but Cleveland couldnít not take a quarterback here.
    2. New York Giants - TRADE! - Giants trade their first pick with the Denver Broncos for their 2018 first-round pick, 2018 second-round pick, and future consideration - Josh Rosen (QB, UCLA) - Rosen is the other contender for top QB in the draft, and he has a real chance to go first overall. However, while Rosen is obviously talented and the most mechanically sound of the prospects, there are concerns about him as well. The Giants are less desperate for a quarterback than the Broncos currently are, and the opportunity to add picks while staying in the Top-5 is an attractive one for a team that wants to add talent at a variety of spots.
    3. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson (OG, Notre Dame) - Fans might say that third overall is too high for a guard, but Andrew Luck would probably be thrilled to get the best lineman in the nation after having a season cut short by internal injuries then having to go to Europe to get his throwing shoulder fixed this past year.
    4. Cleveland Browns (via Houston Texans) - Saquon Barkley (RB, Penn State) - The best thing you can do for a young quarterback is give him a running game. The Browns have Josh Gordon at wide receiver and Duke Johnson is more of a slot-back than a running back. Barkley is a freakish running back who is also a dangerous receiver. If David Njoku can develop, they will actually have a nice supporting cast in place for Sam Darnold.
    5. Denver Broncos - Trade! - New York Giants - Baker Mayfield (QB, Oklahoma) - At this point we donít know who the Giantsí head coach will be, nor what their preference for a quarterback will be. However, I didnít want to let the first round pass without taking a top QB, and as it so happens, my top quarterback in the draft class is sitting right here. Mayfield is short, but not undersized for the position, but he makes up for it with good mobility to scramble and extend plays, as well as a strong arm to drive passes to all areas of the field. He also shows the benefits of a quarterback using all of his eligibility, as he is already mechanically sound and mentally advanced. He shows patience in his progressions and commitment to manipulating coverages with his eyes. Mayfield is known for his hyper-competitive nature, and can be very aggressive in his decision making, but is not normally reckless with the ball. He would also benefit from sitting behind Eli Manning and learning the nuances of a Pro Style offense as well as dealing with the New York media." Read more...

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

I do like Mayfield's game but him resisting arrest concerns me. I wouldn't mind having him as the Giants QB but he needs to mature a lot.

Comment

Ridiculous article. Not happening.

Comment

imo you wouldn't be trading back to select a QB. If he's the face of your franchise for the foreseeable future you would be picking him at #2 because you wouldn't want to risk another team jumping you when you trade back. But since the draft played out like it did here, I can understand them picking a QB if they thought he was the best on the board.

Since Quenton Nelson was selected and Barkely. That's like a worst case scenario. You wouldn't be drafting Chubb at #5 since you have JPP and Vernon on your team. If you were a GM and you selected Chubb you'd be fired within a year for being an idiot with managing a team's roster properly. Roquan Smith is undersized at linebacker. He would get manhandled by teams in the run game. He could be good as a cover linebacker. Football has changed, the Giants don't value LBs that highly. We've won Super Bowls with LB free agents. The OTs in this draft aren't worth a top 5 selection. They have flaws that would indicate bust potential.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
          imo you wouldn't be trading back to select a QB. If he's the face of your franchise for the foreseeable future you would be picking him at #2 because you wouldn't want to risk another team jumping you when you trade back. But since the draft played out like it did here, I can understand them picking a QB if they thought he was the best on the board.

Since Quenton Nelson was selected and Barkely. That's like a worst case scenario. You wouldn't be drafting Chubb at #5 since you have JPP and Vernon on your team. If you were a GM and you selected Chubb you'd be fired within a year for being an idiot with managing a team's roster properly. Roquan Smith is undersized at linebacker. He would get manhandled by teams in the run game. He could be good as a cover linebacker. Football has changed, the Giants don't value LBs that highly. We've won Super Bowls with LB free agents. The OTs in this draft aren't worth a top 5 selection. They have flaws that would indicate bust potential.
          Ernie Accorsi said he wanted Eli manning but had a similar grade on Ben Roethlisberger and was fine with taking either guy if he could not get Eli at the price he was willing to pay. So it is entirely possible this article's scenario plays out IF the NYG have similar grades on all 3 or 4 top QBs. Big IF. But IF they see them as similarly talented, then they would be foolish not to trade back and take any of them.

Comment

Yuck on that trade down and those picks.

Broncoís need to give #5, 2018 2nd and 2019 1st if they want #2 (Rosen).

We get that package and pick J-Allen at #5 and Iím down with that type deal but donít trust Mayfield that early....would put money on Allen long term and in NY.

Comment

I would take a hammer to my own nuts if the draft played out this way.

Comment

Not only would I not like the pick, I wouldn't be happy with what we got in return from Denver. Worst outcome possible.
                NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
                Garrett Bolles - OT
                David Njoku - TE
                Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Trade the 2nd to the 5th for only a second rounder??

Who the **** wrote this trash?

>:c

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/1/6...rosen-mayfield

Excerpt: "With 2018 upon us and Draft Season well and truly here for the New York Giants, itís time for our first mock draft.

We are getting more underclassmen declaring for the 2018 NFL Draft each day, but it is still just a bit silly to do a mock draft before we know which players will be in the draft ó not to mention before we know what the Giantsí coaching staff will even look like.

BUT ... Itís that time of year, and these things are supposed to be fun. For my first mock of the year, and the only one in absence of a coaching staff, Iíll be taking the reins of the Giantsí draft, rather than trying to think what they will do.

If there is one silver lining to the black cloud that hung over Giants Stadium in 2017, itís that we donít have long to wait or far to go to get to the Giantsí picks in each round.
                    1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold (QB, USC) - Early indications are that Darnold is the likely top pick in the draft. He has all the measurables and flashes star upside, however there are also issues in his game. He probably would have been better served with a situation where he could sit and learn, but Cleveland couldnít not take a quarterback here.
                    2. New York Giants - TRADE! - Giants trade their first pick with the Denver Broncos for their 2018 first-round pick, 2018 second-round pick, and future consideration - Josh Rosen (QB, UCLA) - Rosen is the other contender for top QB in the draft, and he has a real chance to go first overall. However, while Rosen is obviously talented and the most mechanically sound of the prospects, there are concerns about him as well. The Giants are less desperate for a quarterback than the Broncos currently are, and the opportunity to add picks while staying in the Top-5 is an attractive one for a team that wants to add talent at a variety of spots.
                    3. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson (OG, Notre Dame) - Fans might say that third overall is too high for a guard, but Andrew Luck would probably be thrilled to get the best lineman in the nation after having a season cut short by internal injuries then having to go to Europe to get his throwing shoulder fixed this past year.
                    4. Cleveland Browns (via Houston Texans) - Saquon Barkley (RB, Penn State) - The best thing you can do for a young quarterback is give him a running game. The Browns have Josh Gordon at wide receiver and Duke Johnson is more of a slot-back than a running back. Barkley is a freakish running back who is also a dangerous receiver. If David Njoku can develop, they will actually have a nice supporting cast in place for Sam Darnold.
                    5. Denver Broncos - Trade! - New York Giants - Baker Mayfield (QB, Oklahoma) - At this point we donít know who the Giantsí head coach will be, nor what their preference for a quarterback will be. However, I didnít want to let the first round pass without taking a top QB, and as it so happens, my top quarterback in the draft class is sitting right here. Mayfield is short, but not undersized for the position, but he makes up for it with good mobility to scramble and extend plays, as well as a strong arm to drive passes to all areas of the field. He also shows the benefits of a quarterback using all of his eligibility, as he is already mechanically sound and mentally advanced. He shows patience in his progressions and commitment to manipulating coverages with his eyes. Mayfield is known for his hyper-competitive nature, and can be very aggressive in his decision making, but is not normally reckless with the ball. He would also benefit from sitting behind Eli Manning and learning the nuances of a Pro Style offense as well as dealing with the New York media." Read more...

I donít think Mayfield has even a remote chance of being drafted by our team. All the turmoil and character issues we already have on the team I donít think they are going to go with red flag players after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
                      Ridiculous article. Not happening.
                      How come?
                      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                        I would take a hammer to my own nuts if the draft played out this way.
                        Glad I am not you
                        There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Baker Mayfield is not a 1 round QB. Way too many Flags. I would not take him in the second after watching him in the Rose bowl.

Character
                          Can't read a Defense
                          Plays in a College style offense ( 20 Personnel)

In the Rose bowl
                          Was good at hitting wide open Receivers.
                          Was not good putting the ball at a spot for a covered receiver to catch.

Worried about his attitude . Can he handle the pressure of a NFL defense? Is he going to control his impulsive behavior?

There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post

Personally, the more time goes on, the less i want to draft a qb in the 1st. Nobody really wow's me, these qbs are all GOOD, but nobody is jumping out as GREAT, they all have glaring issues

As for drafting Chubb, im all for it if we trade or release JPP or Vernon, but i wouldnt drsft him top 10 and let him sit on the bench. If we draft a non qb top 10, they better be starting come September

i disagree with Roquan Smith, hes a clear cut best option at LB, he would help our rush and pass defense immediatley. We havemt had a LB of his caliber since Amrstead. Youre right football has changed, so just because we won a SB with scrub LBs doesnt mean we will in the future. People used to take wagons across country, do you still suggest that because it worked years ago?? Gotta change with the times, we need an LB that can cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield, we've needed it for years

If we want an OT that will play this year we need to take 1 in the 1st. Wether we trade down or trade up from the 2nd, if we want an OT to play this year we need him in the 1st because none of the starting caliber guys are dropping to the 2nd
                            Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

That trade wouldn't make much sense for the Giants or Broncos. The Giants move down to 5 and run the risk of another team picking in the Top 10, or just outside the Top 10, trading up to 3 or 4 and possibly getting Mayfield. Plus, they aren't getting enough in return from the Broncos. And the Broncos would be better off trading spots with the Colts at No. 3 if they knew the Giants weren't going to take Rosen and it'd probably cost them less to move up to 3 than 2.
                              One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X