Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christian McCaffrey was not worth a top 10 pick.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cruzan 26 View Post

I have to see him run consistently through a 16 game season. He averaged 2.9 a carry yesterday. People will stop calling him too small once he proves otherwise. And it seems everyone that called him too small was right so far.
    Says "I have to see him run consistently through a 16 game season" as rebuttal to second half vs first half of year performance, then judges a guy on 6 carries. You cant make this stuff up. If you dont see how incredibly dumb that sounds, I cant help you.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeq6722 View Post

Says "I have to see him run consistently through a 16 game season" as rebuttal to second half vs first half of year performance, then judges a guy on 6 carries. You cant make this stuff up. If you dont see how incredibly dumb that sounds, I cant help you.
      It's dumb to judge him on 6 carries a game huh? He had 117 carries during the year, divide that by 16 and he averaged 7 carries a game. So yes dummy, it makes sense to judge his 6 carries.
      Last edited by Cruzan 26; 01-09-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Gettleman basically drafted a slot WR masquerading as a RB at the 8th pick in the first round. If Reese did that, we would lose our minds. And I'm no Reese fan.
        Use some perspective here. Carolina had a great defense and solid offense and needed a few specialized weapons. Mcaffery is still young.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Yes, giant fans would kill Reese for picking him. But that's because we lack fundamental talent at crucial positions.

The Panthers are well off at their fundamental positions and had the luxury of being a solid team that could go after a player they felt would add a unique dimension to their team. Your opinion on this seems so obtuse and narrow minded.

And your argument seems to want to favor Reese and Apple? Lol ok, if you say so.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
          You aren't a creative thinker are you? How good is he as an RB? He scored more TDs than Le'Veon Bell did at receiving. That's how good of an RB he is. You do realize that RBs run and they catch right? Does Le'Veon Bell split carries with another RB? Nope, he gets 95%+ of the touches as their RB. Christian as their rookie RB was splitting carries with Jonathan Stewart and he put up those numbers. The best RB in football (Le'Veon Bell) averaged 4.0 yards per carry this year with arguably the best offensive line in football. He got 321 running attempts too. Christian McCaffrey had 117 attempts running the football for 3.7 yards per carry with an offensive line nowhere near as good as the Steelers. Leonard Fournette averaged 3.9 yards per carry. Melvin Gordon averaged 3.9 yards per carry. That's not that far off.

He ranked 5th overall with receiving yards for RBs.
          1) Alvin Kamara
          2) Todd Gurley
          3) Duke Johnson
          4) Le'Veon Bell
          5) Christiann McCaffrey
          Gurley only ran for 3.2 yards per carry in his 2nd season and he's supposedly the best back in football. With that said, McCaffrey is no Gurley, McCaffrey is a more natural receiver. 1000+ all purpose yards as a rookie isn't bad at all.
          I may not believe in a higher power but I believe in Elisha Nelson Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post

Use some perspective here. Carolina had a great defense and solid offense and needed a few specialized weapons. Mcaffery is still young.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Yes, giant fans would kill Reese for picking him. But that's because we lack fundamental talent at crucial positions.

The Panthers are well off at their fundamental positions and had the luxury of being a solid team that could go after a player they felt would add a unique dimension to their team. Your opinion on this seems so obtuse and narrow minded.

And your argument seems to want to favor Reese and Apple? Lol ok, if you say so.
            Are you serious? They have AVERAGE WR's and their lead RB before drafting McCaffrey has been in the league for 10 years. And Gettleman answer for LT was to give Matt Kalil a bum a 5 year 55 million deal. You don't think he could of traded back to get one of the LTs that came out last year instead of paying all that money on Kalil? It would of been much cheaper. But he decided to draft a scat-back with a top 8 pick. You make no sense at all. What solid offense are you talking about? They had no OT, an old RB and average WR and he drafted a scat-back and then drafted another scat-back with his second pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_ToThe_Bone View Post

Gurley only ran for 3.2 yards per carry in his 2nd season and he's supposedly the best back in football. With that said, McCaffrey is no Gurley, McCaffrey is a more natural receiver. 1000+ all purpose yards as a rookie isn't bad at all.
              1000 all purpose yards is not bad at all. But it doesn't warranted a TOP 8 pick. You guys keep missing that point. I also didn't think Bush should of been drafted with the 2nd overall pick. His numbers are a little better than McCaffrey but they both didn't deserve to be drafted that high.

Comment

If were all lucky, this will turn into a weekly post. We can all hear about how hundreds of players each draft were picked too high.

Tune in next week to hear how John Ross was a bad pick for the Bengals.

Comment

No he wasn't and he is never going to be a every down back which really makes taking him #8 BAD. Then you look at the success of Alvin Kamara who was a 3rd Round pick and is BETTER than McCaffery and it is not even close.

Good Receiver though, he played well as did Greg Olsen and Cam Newton. But the Panthers are a poorly built team Offensively, their needs on Offensive been the same needs most of Gettleman's time their "Offensive Line and Receiver" and he never seem to be able to get that right which is a bit of a concern. Hopefully he learned from that though!
                  Last edited by Sicko; 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
                    No he wasn't and he is never going to be a every down back which really makes taking him #8 BAD. Then you look at the success of Alvin Kamara who was a 3rd Round pick and is BETTER than McCaffery and it is not even close.
                    That's exactly what I said. Alvin Kamara went two rounds later and he's a better player than McCaffrey. McCaffrey at the end of the day, is a 3rd down back/ scat-back type that Gettleman chose in the top 8 of the draft. Dude only managed 10 reps at the combine. Out of all the RBs at the combine only one lifted less than him, Pumphrey. And Pumphrey is like 5'9 175 pounds. He was chosen like in the 4th round by the Eagles. And to make it worse, he basically chose Curtis Samuel with his second round pick. Their like the same player.

Comment

Gettleman basically drafted a slot WR masquerading as a RB at the 8th pick in the first round. If Reese did that, we would lose our minds. And I'm no Reese fan.
                      I saw him score a touchdown during the wild card game. Once he broke out, nobody could catch him. Do you think the Giants would value that?

Comment

Originally posted by u2good View Post

I saw him score a touchdown during the wild card game. Once he broke out, nobody could catch him. Do you think the Giants would value that?
                        Of course. I think he's a good player. He's just not WORTH a top 8 pick, especially when you have more important needs on your team.

Comment

I'll take McCaffrey in the 1st every day. We have a top 10 pick whose mom posts for him on Twitter, is an Eagles fan, and doesn't even want to play for the team and a couple other 1st rounders who arguably aren't starter quality.

Personally, I think Beckham was a reach at #12. That's probably not a popular opinion on these boards but just my opinion.

I'll take guys who score touchdowns and come through in the clutch in playoff games like McCaffrey even if they can only bench press 225, 10 times. He was a top performer in every drill that required his legs....running backs don't run with their chest.
                          I may not believe in a higher power but I believe in Elisha Nelson Manning.

Comment

Are you serious? They have AVERAGE WR's and their lead RB before drafting McCaffrey has been in the league for 10 years. And Gettleman answer for LT was to give Matt Kalil a bum a 5 year 55 million deal. You don't think he could of traded back to get one of the LTs that came out last year instead of paying all that money on Kalil? It would of been much cheaper. But he decided to draft a scat-back with a top 8 pick. You make no sense at all. What solid offense are you talking about? They had no OT, an old RB and average WR and he drafted a scat-back and then drafted another scat-back with his second pick.
                            What receiver do you think they should’ve drafted? John Ross?

They paid Kalil before the draft.

If they get 1 or 2 more weapons on the outside, I’d expect McCaffrey’s production to go up.

I was was never a huge fan of McCaffrey. I thought and still think he was a relatively safe pick. I don’t think he’ll ever be an elite player, but he had a good rookie season and should be a solid contributor for years to come.

If if you look at the last 5 or so drafts, I’d argue that somewhere between 25 and 35 percent of top 10 picks are outright busts with some drafts certainly being better than others. You obviously hope to find an elite talent, but finding a guy who projects to be a solid piece for years to come shouldn’t be looked at as a terrible pick.

Comment

Your right we have Vareen he is a baller. He had 100 yards in a playoff game this year.
                              Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

That’s why you don’t draft a RB in the top 10. No matter what, terrible value.

kamara and hunt, both of whom are better, were drafted much later.

Comment

Working...
                                X