Giants should draft a QB or target one in FA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants should draft a QB or target one in FA

We have holes to fill, no doubt. Mostly on Oline and at linebacker and CB too. However, with a good draft and free agent moves, as long as we stay healthy, we have enough talent to compete.

Eli has some left in his tank, but his skills are eroding and is 37. If Darnold is there at 2, we have to grab him. Rosen, no thanks. Iíd argue taking Baker Mayfield at 2 even though itíd be considered a ďreach.Ē Mayfield has the ability to play like Deshaun Watson in his short sample of games.

Now to my maim point-Eli gets flack, but did you watch the Jacksonville and Buffalo wild card game? Know how many QBs those two franchises have gone through year after year during their decades long playoff and playoff win droughts? Combined itís more than 20. Did you see how bad Bortles was? Tyrod Taylor flashes but the QB position demands consistency. When you donít have a QB, you go through QBs year in and year out like the Jets, Bills, Browns, If management like Darnold or Mayfield enough, we have to take them even if they sit a year behind Eli. If you have a chance to pick a franchise QB, you do it. Cleveland passed on Wentz and Watson. Look at them.

We can still rebuild our Oline and fix our D with our other picks and free agency. Picking Barkley is intruriging. The Rams didnít win with the vaunted Todd Gurley though. The Falcons won with a 2-pronged RB attack like we have in Darkwa and Gallman, who can thrive behind a good Oline. It is vital to have a QB in yhe regular season and playoffs, and a good defense.

Darnold and Mayfield will probably both be top tier QBs and I think it would be a huge mistake to pass on.

However, this yearís draft is going to be very intruiging due to strong QB prospects, lots of starting WBs i free agency like Brees, Keenum, Bridgewater, etc intersecting with a lot of teams needing starting QBs.

Now, If we can trade down, get more picks and still draft Baker Mayfield and a top Olineman and/or linebacker then that would be ideal. We obviously need to fix our Oline.

Like Ive said in other threads, we also need at least one stud linebacker to join Goodson, Keenan Robinson and Sheppard if heís retained-he played well for us. Kennard is rarely seen on many plays and only gets the occasional tackle or sack. JT Thomas is always hurt. Casillas is a good leader but is slow and cant cover. We donít have any fast linebackers with sideline to sideline coverage or pass rush abilities. We desparately need some. Hopefully Gettlemanís experience with Thomas Davis and Luke Keuchly in Carolina influences his desire to bring that type of linebacker play here.

This draft is going to be huge. We could conceivably draft Barkley instead of a QB and try to pry away Case Keenum Or Teddy Bridewater to supplant Eli, whom we could cotend with while he grooms his heir apparent or we could possibly trade. The number of factors, scenarios, and intrigue in this years draft and free agency is insane. So much can happen between now, the draft and free agency.

So plan A) Draft Darnold at #2 if Cleveland takes Rosen.

B) If the Browns take Darnold, I donít think Rosen is the answer. Maybe taking Barkley or Mayfield is the answer st #2. Defiinitely not Rosen; Heís got a good arm but is injury prone and questionable intangibles-basically the opposite of Eli which is what we donít want.

Taking Mayfield here might be considered a reach but the guy can be like Deshaun Watson-same type of QB. Like Watson, heís considered undersized but has a pretty good arm, good QBing skills, and off the charts intangibles including intensity, competitiveness, leadership. If heís the QB you covet, it doesnít matter his slot-you grab him. Many would pick Barkley here, but in this pass happy league, the RB isnít as vital as QB. Still, Id be happy with either pick.

C) Best case is trading down, still being able
    to draft Baker Mayfield, and getting extra picks to get Olinemen and linebackers.

This draft and free agency should be insane.

Comment

Oh how I hope we can all reconvene 5 yrs from now when Mayfield is either playing in the CFL or buried on someone's bench. The guy is not NFL starting QB material. Not sure why the avg fan goes Gaga when a player shows some emotion. Oh he's so fiery and feisty. ... he must be good. I love him. Nope.

And no way in hell am I signing some free agent QB like Cousins. Let Denver or the Jets do that.

Darnold or Rosen. Darnold or Rosen. Darnold or Rosen. Can we get both ?

Comment

Cousins is and forever will be a ****ing DOWNGRADE to Eli Manning.

I would trot out the corpse of a 41 yr old Eli than to have Cousins.

Cousins guarantees your team will never win a super bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
          Oh how I hope we can all reconvene 5 yrs from now when Mayfield is either playing in the CFL or buried on someone's bench. The guy is not NFL starting QB material. Not sure why the avg fan goes Gaga when a player shows some emotion. Oh he's so fiery and feisty. ... he must be good. I love him. Nope.

And no way in hell am I signing some free agent QB like Cousins. Let Denver or the Jets do that.

Darnold or Rosen. Darnold or Rosen. Darnold or Rosen. Can we get both ?
          Iím no scout or expert but have been pretty decent on my scouting and predictions. I was a Dsrnold and Rosen fan primarily. I like Allen a bit too but he could go either wat-develop or flounder; he has the physical tools. Rosenís injury issues and intangibles worry me. Darnold has the tools and intangibles but needs refinement and need to work at his craft.

Mayfield is tricky. Heís not the ideal QB height and is just over 200 lbs. After watching film and studying him, Iíve been sold on him. He has a decent arm, but while he isnt in a fully pro style offense, he can throw into tight windows, has touch and accuracy. You see him doing the importsnt but difficult nuances of the QB position like not staring down receivers, looking off defenders, feeling the pocket, and reading through his progressions. Despite not having the arm of Rosen or Allen, Mayfield can make accurate and fast across the body throws on the move. He has some scramble ability too.

Now His intangibles like love of football, leadership, intensity, competitiveness, and supreme confidence are what sets him apart. He is very similar to Deshaun watson. Not only physically but his all around game
          and play as well.

Mayfield should succeed as an NFL QB. Heís been doubted and had his detractors at wvery level of football since grade school and constantly been overlooked and bypass. His will has lead him to get to this point. Now Ill be the first to admit I was wrong and eat crow, but I fully expect Mayfield to prove the doubters wrong.

Darnold should project to a Roethlisburger/Derek Carr clone.

Rosen might be something like Jay Cutler.

If Allen develops, heíll be the next Flacco (not bad nor great either but a good and serviceable NFL QB) or at worst, maybe like a Blaine Gabbert.

Mayfield is tricky in his comps too. Deshaun Watson is a near perfect comparison but thatís a small sample
          size. Iíd also make the shocking and controversial comparison of saying that besides being 80% Deshaun, Mayfield has a dash of Drew Brees and a sprinkle of Case Keenum 2018.

We shall see. I think Rosen is going to be injured a lot and have media dn teammate run-ins while
          not playing up to #1 or #2 pick level-fair? Maybe not. He might end up having a Nick Foles type career-heard it here first.

Like I said Josh allen might succeed or crash/burn. I donít think lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph will be anything more than backups or journeymen QBs at best.

Darnold, Mayfield and maybe Allen will be the top producing and longest playing of this crop. If Im wrong, Iím wrong. This is how I think things could play out. Maybe all of them will have varying levels of success but all have long a d decent career too. Thatís the fun. Making predictions and watching it all unfold in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post

If that's what you think then you would be wrong.
            It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

If that's what you think then you would be wrong.
              As long as Eli has 1 good game per season i.e. Green Bay playoff a.k.a ďboatgateĒ or this seasons Eagles game people say ďyou see Eli doesnít suck he can still playĒ ignoring if the Eagles could catch he would have had 4 picks.

Comment

Signing a qb to be the future after Eli is the wrong move.

​​​​​​Unless they want to cut Eli to sign cousins.. Which I think would be insane.

You are not going to pay for two big time qbs...

They will draft a qb or go with webb as the future. I really do think that webb has just as much of a chance to be a good nfl qb as any of these top guys.
                ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
                  Signing a qb to be the future after Eli is the wrong move.

​​​​​​Unless they want to cut Eli to sign cousins.. Which I think would be insane.

You are not going to pay for two big time qbs...

They will draft a qb or go with webb as the future. I really do think that webb has just as much of a chance to be a good nfl qb as any of these top guys.
                  ​​​
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post

I respectfully disagree.
                    I find a lineup of Cousins, Barkley, Engram, OBJ, Sheppard would be most intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDee View Post

I respectfully disagree.
                      I find a lineup of Cousins, Barkley, Engram, OBJ, Sheppard would be most intriguing.
                      I feel like cousins is a good qb don't get me wrong... It's been FOREVER since the redskins had a franchise qb. So if he is really that good why won't the team that drafted him sign him long term?

​It almost makes me think that there is something going on behind the scenes there... Or then again maybe the redskins really are just that disfunctional.

Comment

Working...
                      X