Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saquon Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Saquon Barkley

    For starters, I still think we SHOULD go QB at #2. Think it's the most sensible thing to get our QB of the future while we have the chance in a year with a strong QB class and this high of a pick, as long as we're convinced he's going to be the real deal.

    That being said, if we don't choose to go this route, I can't say I'd be upset if we took Saquon Barkley. The more film I watch of him, the more I think he could be an absolute game changer for us. Scouts say he's as complete of a RB prospect as Elliott was coming out. He would instantly improve our run game which would be huge if we're sticking with Eli, as he could really use a workhorse RB at this stage of his career to take some pressure off of him and the receivers. Just a thought.

  • #2
    If i was the gm and CONVINCED that Saquon's breakway speed in the nfl would be similar to the college level, then i take him.

    His cuts are so crisp it is jaw dropping. His breakaway speed is the most absurd thing i have ever seen on the field in the modern game.

    If this kid can keep that level of speed separation with the athletes in the ntl then he will easily to down as an all time hall of famer. Like a Barry Sanders or Tomlinson level of prestige imo.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post
      If i was the gm and CONVINCED that Saquon's breakway speed in the nfl would be similar to the college level, then i take him.

      His cuts are so crisp it is jaw dropping. His breakaway speed is the most absurd thing i have ever seen on the field in the modern game.

      If this kid can keep that level of speed separation with the athletes in the ntl then he will easily to down as an all time hall of famer. Like a Barry Sanders or Tomlinson level of prestige imo.
      I agree. Like I said, if they think there is a QB that can be our future for the next 10 years, you take him. However, if they're not convinced on any of these guys, I don't see how you could pass up a talent like this, he is special.

      Comment


      • #4
        The argument I think that could be made as to why the Giants won't draft Barkley is because so many (high draft pick) rookie contracts are invested into skilled players on the offensive side (Engram, Beckham, Shepard). This draft is quite deep with RB talent. They aren't Saquon Barkley level of special, but they are really good talent. I have a thread showcasing 3-4 of them that should be available in round 2-3+ (who knows where Bo Scarbrough gets drafted. He will give bad interviews during the combine). The Giants could really use a running game. It starts with the blocking though! Without good running lanes an RB selection would be wasted.

        Comment


        • #5
          See I am of the thought process of trading your #2 and rebuilding with multiple draft picks there are premium players farther down in the draft.The Giants have a lot of problems that need fix's.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by G1.. View Post
            See I am of the thought process of trading your #2 and rebuilding with multiple draft picks there are premium players farther down in the draft.The Giants have a lot of problems that need fix's.
            A legitimate nfl running game will do a lot of that fixing in its own right.

            Gallman looked really good. Pair him rough saquan and rebuild the oline and it won't matter who the qb is this team will win some games.

            Comment


            • #7
              Barkley is not top pick material.

              https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...1/gamelog/2017

              https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ott-1/gamelog/

              https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ley-1/gamelog/

              https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...rey-1/gamelog/


              Compare all the 4 of the Last seasons before the draft.

              How any can say this guy is a to 10 pick I don't get. IMO: He is a later then second round pick.


              He is more like Jeremy Langford ( A 4th round full back with better numbers)


              https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...layer-game-log
              The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TEM View Post
                Barkley is not top pick material.

                https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...1/gamelog/2017

                https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ott-1/gamelog/

                https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ley-1/gamelog/

                https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...rey-1/gamelog/


                Compare all the 4 of the Last seasons before the draft.

                How any can say this guy is a to 10 pick I don't get. IMO: He is a later then second round pick.


                He is more like Jeremy Langford ( A 4th round full back with better numbers)


                https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...layer-game-log
                With all due respect, I think the Langford comparison is pretty poor. Langford was barely utilized in the passing game and was never involved in the return game. Barkley has more receptions than McCaffrey in his college career and CMC is regarded as one of the best do it all backs to come out in a while. They also have similar career rushing numbers.

                I believe Barkley compares well to CMC as far as skill set (albeit much bigger and stronger) but he needs to mature as a running back. CMC is very mature, hits the hole and gets what he can get. Too many times, he's caught trying to get out of a jam by hitting a home run as opposed to hitting a crease for 3-4 yards. He has all the talent in the world. He has tremendous vision but he takes too many losses by trying to do to much. He's a very mature person and extremely coachable. I'm not worried about him correcting those flaws.

                If we don't go quarterback, I would be extremely disappointed if they didn't select Barkley. We don't pick in the top 5 often and for good reason. Which is why I think we'll take full advantage and get our next quarterback unless none of these guys flash in their workouts.

                Rosen and Darnold should shine at the combine and their pro days. They have all the tools for an amazing workout. I'm not 100% sold on either of them yet for different reasons. We have a long way to go until the process even gets started, so I'm going in with an open mind.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wolfepack View Post

                  With all due respect, I think the Langford comparison is pretty poor. Langford was barely utilized in the passing game and was never involved in the return game. Barkley has more receptions than McCaffrey in his college career and CMC is regarded as one of the best do it all backs to come out in a while. They also have similar career rushing numbers.

                  I believe Barkley compares well to CMC as far as skill set (albeit much bigger and stronger) but he needs to mature as a running back. CMC is very mature, hits the hole and gets what he can get. Too many times, he's caught trying to get out of a jam by hitting a home run as opposed to hitting a crease for 3-4 yards. He has all the talent in the world. He has tremendous vision but he takes too many losses by trying to do to much. He's a very mature person and extremely coachable. I'm not worried about him correcting those flaws.

                  If we don't go quarterback, I would be extremely disappointed if they didn't select Barkley. We don't pick in the top 5 often and for good reason. Which is why I think we'll take full advantage and get our next quarterback unless none of these guys flash in their workouts.

                  Rosen and Darnold should shine at the combine and their pro days. They have all the tools for an amazing workout. I'm not 100% sold on either of them yet for different reasons. We have a long way to go until the process even gets started, so I'm going in with an open mind.
                  Everyone says this kid is so good. I watched him against Rutgers Ohio state Pitt. I was not impressed. I look at it a #2 pick . A RB only has numbers . He does not have them to warrant a # 2 pick.

                  Pleas explain undisputable evidence that he is?


                  I don't see the comparison with CMC 3 games under 100 yds. Barkley 8 Games under 100 yards. A majority of Barkley numbers come from 3 games 541yds . CMC's are consistent across his last season. Barkleys inconstancy and 4th quarter 2.4 a carry should be a huge red flag for a #2.


                  Although I did not agree with you about the comparison between CMC and Barkley . You bolster my point CMC was a # 10 pick we have the #2

                  Elliot #3
                  Gurley #10

                  Again how anyone can say definitively Barkley is worth a # 2 still has not been proven. Just because he may be considered the best RB in the draft ( debatable by his inconsistency). Some how equates to the # 2 overall pick does not mean it is justifiable. Where would Elliot, Gurley be ranked in this draft against Barkley?

                  Edit:
                  You state his receiving numbers. How does a screen pass RB = a #2 over all pick? Elliot and Gurly were not picked because of receiving. The could run the ball. Something a RB should be able to do.
                  Last edited by TEM; 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM.
                  The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TEM View Post

                    Everyone says this kid is so good. I watched him against Rutgers Ohio state Pitt. I was not impressed. I look at it a #2 pick . A RB only has numbers . He does not have them to warrant a # 2 pick.

                    Pleas explain undisputable evidence that he is?


                    I don't see the comparison with CMC 3 games under 100 yds. Barkley 8 Games under 100 yards. A majority of Barkley numbers come from 3 games 541yds . CMC's are consistent across his last season. Barkleys inconstancy and 4th quarter 2.4 a carry should be a huge red flag for a #2.


                    Although I did not agree with you about the comparison between CMC and Barkley . You bolster my point CMC was a # 10 pick we have the #2

                    Elliot #3
                    Gurley #10

                    Again how any one can say definitively Barkley is worth a # 2 still has not been proven. Just because he may be considered the best RB in the draft ( debatable by his inconsistency). Some how equates to the # 2 overall pick does not mean it is justifiable. Where would Elliot, Gurley be ranked in this draft against Barkley?

                    I get what you're saying about his inconsistencies. I 100% agree. But I think the lack of maturity in his running game that has caused the inconsistent production game to game is very coachable and can be fixed quickly at the next level.

                    I look at a guy like David Johnson who didn't have 100 yards rushing in 6 of his games his senior year, which was worse than his junior year. That was also against very bad competition. Now, Johnson was not a top 5 pick but I don't really care if I get a guy with the 2nd pick or the 100th pick who rushes for $1,200 yards and catches 60-70 balls. The production is what it is and I'd love to have it. Not to mention he is one of those guys you don't have to worry about in the locker room.

                    I get where you're coming from and I understand the concern. It comes down to whether you're confident in his development or not. None of these guys are a sure thing. It's all about who you think can develop into the best possible player and have a big impact on your team's success. It's all personal preference but you do make valid points for your argument. I'm just confident that he'll develop into a very mature, consistent, all around running back with game breaking ability.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TEM View Post

                      Everyone says this kid is so good. I watched him against Rutgers Ohio state Pitt. I was not impressed. I look at it a #2 pick . A RB only has numbers . He does not have them to warrant a # 2 pick.

                      Pleas explain undisputable evidence that he is?


                      I don't see the comparison with CMC 3 games under 100 yds. Barkley 8 Games under 100 yards. A majority of Barkley numbers come from 3 games 541yds . CMC's are consistent across his last season. Barkleys inconstancy and 4th quarter 2.4 a carry should be a huge red flag for a #2.


                      Although I did not agree with you about the comparison between CMC and Barkley . You bolster my point CMC was a # 10 pick we have the #2

                      Elliot #3
                      Gurley #10

                      Again how anyone can say definitively Barkley is worth a # 2 still has not been proven. Just because he may be considered the best RB in the draft ( debatable by his inconsistency). Some how equates to the # 2 overall pick does not mean it is justifiable. Where would Elliot, Gurley be ranked in this draft against Barkley?

                      Edit:
                      You state his receiving numbers. How does a screen pass RB = a #2 over all pick? Elliot and Gurly were not picked because of receiving. The could run the ball. Something a RB should be able to do.
                      I respect that analysis. What would your preference be if we don't take QB or Barkley at 2, trade back?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...son-1/gamelog/

                        one game AP had -4 yards...AP only totalled 5.4 ypc in college & had a bunch of mediocre games in there.

                        barkley is a freak of nature with size strength, speed & cutting ability. it is a rare combination. When you watch his breakaways, not one cb, db even comes close to catching him. His breakaway speed is unheralded. Will he succeed between the tackles in the NFL? Depends on his Oline, just like every other RB. But if he gets past the first level, you can expect he will be uncatchable (hopefully, it translates). Will he last more than 5 years? Is he worth a 2 overall grade? who knows? But the dude is uber talented for sure. Freak athletes that can also play football are very rare. I would not complain if we picked him. You have to roll the dice on somebody, after all. I'm not sure I'm convinced he is the best value we can manage form the 2 spot though, with our QB being 37 years old and apparently potentially declining, and our trade back options and what we could get in return. Who can say for sure? My suspicion is that we have too many holes and need a QB, which is tough enough to deal with, let alone go with a RB at 2 overall. We better have a plan for QB if we choose him at 2 overall. The likelihood of choosing barkley at 2 overall increases exponentially only if they think Davis Webb is their future QB. We shall see.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post
                          https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...son-1/gamelog/

                          one game AP had -4 yards...AP only totalled 5.4 ypc in college & had a bunch of mediocre games in there.

                          barkley is a freak of nature with size strength, speed & cutting ability. it is a rare combination. When you watch his breakaways, not one cb, db even comes close to catching him. His breakaway speed is unheralded. Will he succeed between the tackles in the NFL? Depends on his Oline, just like every other RB. But if he gets past the first level, you can expect he will be uncatchable (hopefully, it translates). Will he last more than 5 years? Is he worth a 2 overall grade? who knows? But the dude is uber talented for sure. Freak athletes that can also play football are very rare. I would not complain if we picked him. You have to roll the dice on somebody, after all. I'm not sure I'm convinced he is the best value we can manage form the 2 spot though, with our QB being 37 years old and apparently potentially declining, and our trade back options and what we could get in return. Who can say for sure? My suspicion is that we have too many holes and need a QB, which is tough enough to deal with, let alone go with a RB at 2 overall. We better have a plan for QB if we choose him at 2 overall. The likelihood of choosing barkley at 2 overall increases exponentially only if they think Davis Webb is their future QB. We shall see.
                          Comparing one game AP had to Barkley's 8 games under 100 yds (over half of the season)in a so called great #2 pick . Your straws are getting thin. Freak of nature no #2 pick you answered that question. Just because he looks untouchable in the NCAA at the second level . What concerns me is Why isn't he at the first level? The NFL is not in college . Can he in the NFL? The NFL in at the second level that are not ate proto typical NCAA player. They are all fast and can get to the runner.
                          Last edited by TEM; 01-12-2018, 01:40 PM.
                          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wolfepack View Post


                            I get what you're saying about his inconsistencies. I 100% agree. But I think the lack of maturity in his running game that has caused the inconsistent production game to game is very coachable and can be fixed quickly at the next level.

                            I look at a guy like David Johnson who didn't have 100 yards rushing in 6 of his games his senior year, which was worse than his junior year. That was also against very bad competition. Now, Johnson was not a top 5 pick but I don't really care if I get a guy with the 2nd pick or the 100th pick who rushes for $1,200 yards and catches 60-70 balls. The production is what it is and I'd love to have it. Not to mention he is one of those guys you don't have to worry about in the locker room.

                            I get where you're coming from and I understand the concern. It comes down to whether you're confident in his development or not. None of these guys are a sure thing. It's all about who you think can develop into the best possible player and have a big impact on your team's success. It's all personal preference but you do make valid points for your argument. I'm just confident that he'll develop into a very mature, consistent, all around running back with game breaking ability.
                            I have to look at without bias on why should a player be taken or not with a #2. This is exactly is what the draft team does. That way I can grasp what the did and why they did it with the pick at the time. IMO: he is not a #2 overall.

                            The further down the draft a team is the options become less clear. There at more player the coincide with the skill level for that pick. It way easer to pick apart a let say a top to pick the it is a 15 -32. I am not one to reading into hype . I always look for the negative because if it is not apparent., he is that guy that is hyped.
                            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dream88 View Post

                              I respect that analysis. What would your preference be if we don't take QB or Barkley at 2, trade back?
                              Trade down. All the Qbs and Barkley have flags that should not be dismissed with a #2 pick.

                              The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X