No announcement yet.

Saquon Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just gonna keep it simple....some of you bring up he had a few games under 100 yards....true but that's because defenses are only keying on him.....you put this kid with Odell it's gonna open up the pass and run immediately in the offense.
    Last edited by StroSwift10NYG; 01-12-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StroSwift10NYG View Post
      I'm just gonna keep it simple....some of you bring up he had a few games under 100 yards....true but that's because defenses are only keying on him.....you put this kid with Odell it's gonna open up the pass and run immediately in the offense.
      I few is not half the season . Just stop with the "just a few" statement it has already been proven to be false.
      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Comparing one game AP had to Barkley's 8 games under 100 yds (over half of the season)in a so called great #2 pick . Your straws are getting thin. Freak of nature no #2 pick you answered that question. Just because he looks untouchable in the NCAA at the second level . What concerns me is Why isn't he at the first level? The NFL is not in college . Can he in the NFL? The NFL in at the second level that are not ate proto typical NCAA player. They are all fast and can get to the runner.
        please do not put words in my mouth.

1. i did not compare ap one game to 8 games of barkely... i posted the stats for you all to compare for yourself whatever you wanted to compare. anyone can make any comparison they want with statistics and such to try to prove their point. politicians do it all the time. i'm sure someone can prove the sky is red somehow if they put their mind to it. i really don't care. I've zero agenda. i don't care what player they pick or don't pick at 2 overall to be honest. i'm more concerned in overall value of the draft and overall value in Free Agency.. One player does not make or break a team. You asked why people liked barkley and what you were missing. I tried to tell you. he is a superb RB and elite athlete. That is all. Plenty of top tier RBs have busted who were considered top picks when they were drafted. nobody knows if he will succeed in the NFL ornot. Not even you. so just stop it. you have decided you don't want brakley. fine. but please don't do that BS where you start an argument with me for no reason. i'm not sold on barkely at 2 overall either necessarily. But i'm open to being wrong about it. Personally, i've stated many times i think the best play for value is to trade back to 3 4 or 5 and go from there.

2. i don't have any straws. you must be thinking of someone else in the thread.

3. i don't necessarily disagree with you, as is very clear if you read my post without an agenda. In fact i think i was the first one to say on this board that taking Rb at 2 overall is usually not a good idea. c',mon man. lets not argue. life is too precious.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

1. i did not compare ap one game to 8 games of barkely... i posted the stats for you all to compare for yourself whatever you wanted to compare. anyone can make any comparison they want with statistics and such to try to prove their point. politicians do it all the time. i'm sure someone can prove the sky is red somehow if they put their mind to it. i really don't care. I've zero agenda. i don't care what player they pick or don't pick at 2 overall to be honest. i'm more concerned in overall value of the draft and overall value in Free Agency.. One player does not make or break a team. You asked why people liked barkley and what you were missing. I tried to tell you. he is a superb RB and elite athlete. That is all. Plenty of top tier RBs have busted who were considered top picks when they were drafted. nobody knows if he will succeed in the NFL ornot. Not even you. so just stop it. you have decided you don't want brakley. fine. but please don't do that BS where you start an argument with me for no reason. i'm not sold on barkely at 2 overall either necessarily. But i'm open to being wrong about it. Personally, i've stated many times i think the best play for value is to trade back to 3 4 or 5 and go from there.

3. i don't necessarily disagree with you, as is very clear if you read my post without an agenda. In fact i think i was the first one to say on this board that taking Rb at 2 overall is usually not a good idea. c',mon man. lets not argue. life is too precious.
          I apologize all good points. Personally I want to trade down get draft s LB Smith ( I feel is a clone of Lavonte David) or take OT
          McGlinchey
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

I apologize personally I would rather trade down take Smith ( I see as a Lavonte David type LB) or Draft OT
            McGlinchey

Comment

I apologize personally I would rather trade down take Smith ( I see as a Lavonte David type LB) or Draft OT
              McGlinchey
              I don't think that's a good idea either. Smith is so incredibly undersized for an LB at the NFL level. Heck, in the Alabama game that QB Hurts was plowing down Smith on one of his runs. I just have this feeling that Smith might be a good cover LB but if you were to pound the rock in the run game, that would be his weakness because of his lack of size. He could just be pushed around like a child. Also, McGlinchey has quite a few flaws in his game. Quenton Nelson is so good that he was propping up McGlinchey's game. If you remove Nelson from that line I can guarantee you that McGlinchey gives up more sacks throughout the season. McGlinchey might be the highest rated OT in the draft, but that doesn't mean he's an elite talent. He has quite a few flaws in his game. Nelson is so good in fact that I think he makes McGlinchey look better than he is.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                I don't think that's a good idea either. Smith is so incredibly undersized for an LB at the NFL level. Heck, in the Alabama game that QB Hurts was plowing down Smith on one of his runs. I just have this feeling that Smith might be a good cover LB but if you were to pound the rock in the run game, that would be his weakness because of his lack of size. He could just be pushed around like a child. Also, McGlinchey has quite a few flaws in his game. Quenton Nelson is so good that he was propping up McGlinchey's game. If you remove Nelson from that line I can guarantee you that McGlinchey gives up more sacks throughout the season. McGlinchey might be the highest rated OT in the draft, but that doesn't mean he's an elite talent. He has quite a few flaws in his game. Nelson is so good in fact that I think he makes McGlinchey look better than he is.
                Good points He could use 30 Lbs. A good nutritionist could bulk him up We need a LB that can cover . How long has that been? That makes him is a big plus.

McGlinchey has issues . All OL coming out have them . Welcome to the new unprepared for the NFL oline prospects. This has been true since the new millennium. You pick and hope he is good

Comment

Barkley is not top pick material.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...1/gamelog/2017

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ott-1/gamelog/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ley-1/gamelog/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...rey-1/gamelog/

Compare all the 4 of the Last seasons before the draft.

How any can say this guy is a to 10 pick I don't get. IMO: He is a later then second round pick.

He is more like Jeremy Langford ( A 4th round full back with better numbers)

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...layer-game-log
                  funniest thing i have read in 2018.. thanks man

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised if Reese got him, not knowing how Gettleman drafts and his vision for the team, its hard to know what moves he will make since we have plenty of options and lots of work to do with little cap.
                    As for getting barkley, he is a legit pick, we needs a special teams return guy...all we have is Harris...Barkley can be a replacement for both Harris and Vereen since we wont need Vereen as a catching back anymore with barkley. If they dont get Barkley then they would have to get a WR to replace Harris who can also do returns...this draft will most likley be all OL and LBers in later round but they might be able to find a nice return man in 4th-7th round but they will most likley have to wait to next years draft and draft a WR in 2nd round to ensure better quality.

We would pretty much be using Barkley like KC uses Hill....that would be fun to watch
                    Last edited by NephilimGiants; 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Good points He could use 30 Lbs. A good nutritionist could bulk him up We need a LB that can cover . How long has that been? That makes him is a big plus.

McGlinchey has issues . All OL coming out have them . Welcome to the new unprepared for the NFL oline prospects. This has been true since the new millennium. You pick and hope he is good
                      Watch the Georgia game and you will change your mind about McGlinchey, he canít handle the speed rush. As far Smith he would have to move to olb IMO. Heís only 6Ē1í I think he would get swallowed up by bigger NFL ol. Alabama had success running it at the Georgia front and thatís the best comparison to the type of talent heíll face Sunday. As a previous poster stated, all of these players have warts it just a matter on if you feel they are something you can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

Watch the Georgia game and you will change your mind about McGlinchey, he canít handle the speed rush. As far Smith he would have to move to olb IMO. Heís only 6Ē1í I think he would get swallowed up by bigger NFL ol. Alabama had success running it at the Georgia front and thatís the best comparison to the type of talent heíll face Sunday. As a previous poster stated, all of these players have warts it just a matter on if you feel they are something you can live with.
                        I agree with O-line men they all have not been groomed for the NFL.
                        Last edited by TEM; 01-12-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post

A legitimate nfl running game will do a lot of that fixing in its own right.

Gallman looked really good. Pair him rough saquan and rebuild the oline and it won't matter who the qb is this team will win some games.
                          Exactly perfectly said

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                            The argument I think that could be made as to why the Giants won't draft Barkley is because so many (high draft pick) rookie contracts are invested into skilled players on the offensive side (Engram, Beckham, Shepard). This draft is quite deep with RB talent. They aren't Saquon Barkley level of special, but they are really good talent. I have a thread showcasing 3-4 of them that should be available in round 2-3+ (who knows where Bo Scarbrough gets drafted. He will give bad interviews during the combine). The Giants could really use a running game. It starts with the blocking though! Without good running lanes an RB selection would be wasted.
                            I assume by high draft pick you mean 1st and 2nd rounders. We have just as many high draft pick rookie contracts going to the OL as we do the skill positions on O. I don't think that will be a factor at all. If it was then D is where this pick would go.

TE Engram
                            WR Shepard
                            WR ODB

OL Flowers
                            OL Richburg
                            OL Pugh

DL Tomlinson

DB Apple
                            DB Collins

LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                            "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

I few is not half the season . Just stop with the "just a few" statement it has already been proven to be false.
                              I was curious to go through the game log. I don't think you're trying to be disingenuous with your quotes, but I feel that your line in the sand of 100 yard games implies that games <100 were not quality performances. So let's break it down:

13 games total:

5 Games > 100 yards rushing

- Vs Akron : 14 rushes for 172 yards; 12.3 avg; 2 TD
                              - @ Iowa : 28 rushes for 211 yards; 7.5 avg; 1 TD
                              - Vs Michigan : 15 rushes for 108 yards; 7.2 avg; 2 TD
                              - Vs Nebraska : 17 rushes for 158 yards; 9.3 avg; 3 TD
                              - Vs Washington : 18 rushes for 137 yards; 7.6 avg; 2 TD

So that leaves 8 games left. I'd consider anything above 4.5 AVG per rush to be a successful day on the ground for a RB. There were 4 games where Barkley averaged over 4.5 yards per carry.

- Vs Pitt 14 rushes for 88 yards. 6.3 yards per carry. 33-14 win for Penn St over Pitt. Had 4 catches for 45 yards, so I don't know how you can say his impact wasn't felt this game.

- Vs Georgia State : 10 rushes for 47 yards. 4.7 ypc in a 56-0 blowout Penn St Win. Also added 4 catches for 142 yards. So I'd say 189 yards for the day is having a significant impact. Plus Barkley potentially goes over 100 yards if this is a closer game.

- @ Northwestern 16 rushes for 75 yards, 4.7 ypc in a 31-7 Win over Northwestern. If this is a closer game, I can see barkley geting another 5-10 carries and going over 100.

- @ Maryland : 16 carries for 77 yards; 4.8 ypc. Penn St blew out Maryland 66-3. Again, who knows what his numbers look like in a closer game.

So we have 4 games where I'd say he was having a good day running the ball, 2 of which when you factor in his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, he had a tremendous impact. So 9 out of 13 if you're keeping score at home.

Then I won't go into too much detail on the last 4. I would call Rutgers and Indiana WTF games. He put up terrible numbers, but was that because those two defenses were going to shut down Barkley no matter the cost? Penn St blew them both out. Without watching the games I can only speculate.

And vs Ohio State and Michigan State I couldn't say. Not great performances, but those are two great defenses that have NFL talent on the field.

So overall, I feel that Barkley had an impact on 9 of 13 games, 2 poor games, and 2 games that his teams blew out the opponent despite poor Barkley numbers. If the defense is committed to stopping the run at the expense of giving up points through the air, then one could argue the threat of Barkley was still paramount to those victories.

Comment

Originally posted by NetSymptom View Post

I was curious to go through the game log. I don't think you're trying to be disingenuous with your quotes, but I feel that your line in the sand of 100 yard games implies that games <100 were not quality performances. So let's break it down:

13 games total:

5 Games > 100 yards rushing

- Vs Akron : 14 rushes for 172 yards; 12.3 avg; 2 TD
                                - @ Iowa : 28 rushes for 211 yards; 7.5 avg; 1 TD
                                - Vs Michigan : 15 rushes for 108 yards; 7.2 avg; 2 TD
                                - Vs Nebraska : 17 rushes for 158 yards; 9.3 avg; 3 TD
                                - Vs Washington : 18 rushes for 137 yards; 7.6 avg; 2 TD

So that leaves 8 games left. I'd consider anything above 4.5 AVG per rush to be a successful day on the ground for a RB. There were 4 games where Barkley averaged over 4.5 yards per carry.

- Vs Pitt 14 rushes for 88 yards. 6.3 yards per carry. 33-14 win for Penn St over Pitt. Had 4 catches for 45 yards, so I don't know how you can say his impact wasn't felt this game.

- Vs Georgia State : 10 rushes for 47 yards. 4.7 ypc in a 56-0 blowout Penn St Win. Also added 4 catches for 142 yards. So I'd say 189 yards for the day is having a significant impact. Plus Barkley potentially goes over 100 yards if this is a closer game.

- @ Northwestern 16 rushes for 75 yards, 4.7 ypc in a 31-7 Win over Northwestern. If this is a closer game, I can see barkley geting another 5-10 carries and going over 100.

- @ Maryland : 16 carries for 77 yards; 4.8 ypc. Penn St blew out Maryland 66-3. Again, who knows what his numbers look like in a closer game.

So we have 4 games where I'd say he was having a good day running the ball, 2 of which when you factor in his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, he had a tremendous impact. So 9 out of 13 if you're keeping score at home.

Then I won't go into too much detail on the last 4. I would call Rutgers and Indiana WTF games. He put up terrible numbers, but was that because those two defenses were going to shut down Barkley no matter the cost? Penn St blew them both out. Without watching the games I can only speculate.

And vs Ohio State and Michigan State I couldn't say. Not great performances, but those are two great defenses that have NFL talent on the field.

So overall, I feel that Barkley had an impact on 9 of 13 games, 2 poor games, and 2 games that his teams blew out the opponent despite poor Barkley numbers. If the defense is committed to stopping the run at the expense of giving up points through the air, then one could argue the threat of Barkley was still paramount to those victories.
                                Just stop. Not any way compares to top backs in the past 3 drafts. Elliot 3rd pick Gurley 10th pick McCaffrey10 pick His numbers a RB are not even close. As a # 2 pick he is a joke. If he was as good a some of you portray. Penn state would have fed him the ball more then he did. . He had bad games and Penn State went away from his running . He is a screen pass catcher nothing more. Elliot 6.7 a carry Gurley 6.4 a carry McCaffrey 6.2 a carry. All further down then a #2 Your guy 5.9 a carry.

He is inconstant and his 2.5 a carry for 35 against Rutgers proves it. Did Rutgers have a great Defense (Ranked 72nd)
                                The QB ran for more yards against Rutgers
                                .Georgia State, do they have a great Defense? 47 yards 4.7 against an (unranked Defense). If he ws so prolific why only 10 carries against GS? Why not feed him the ball against Defenses he should have run over? There is a reason and it screams I am not a # 2 pick

That great Defense argument has holes in it. He played against some bad ones with similar results.

IMO: He is too inconsistent as a RB for a #2 overall . The Giants can grab a screen pass catcher in the later rounds .
                                Last edited by TEM; 01-13-2018, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X