No announcement yet.

Drafting Barkley may be the way to go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm you forget. Rams also drafted Goff during that time. So way to ignore that... but it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
      You take a RB in the first round, only when picking in the bottom 3rd of the draft and after you either just lost a superbowl or got really far in the playoffs and feel your team needs a RB to put your team over the top.

When it comes to list of priorities, some of you need to understand DRAFT VALUE. So let me break down something so that I don't need to see more Saquon Barkley threads.

RB's are plentiful and dare I say it, Dime A Dozen. RB's do not transcend a franchise like a QB...

Since Tom Brady has been QB, can you name all the RB's he's won with......If your answer is no, then you should already see my point. Barry Sanders was the best I ever saw, and the Lions STILL SUCKED.

Give me an Elite QB or Pass Rusher every day of the week. Give me an Elite Offensive tackle.....

YOU WILL NEVER GET A QB AS CHEAP AS A #2 DRAFT PICK AGAIN. THAT FREE'S UP A TON OF CAP SPACE AND ALLOWS YOU TO BRING IN MORE PIECES.

Taking a RB would be a terrible mistake.
      And this means you can't have an elite RB as part of a talented team..right..

We are talking about pairing an elite RB with an elite WR along with a TE with a rare size/speed combo. If we had that and fixed the OL, we'd have some very exciting football ahead of us. Playoffs or not. At some point you have to just enjoy the game to enjoy the game, it's just entertainment, unless you've got money invested in it. Even if we didn't win anything as a result (which I think we would), it would be exciting.
      Would the Lions fans of that era trade ever watching Barry Sanders for a Lombardi?..I'd wager not.

Also note that because arguably the best QB to ever play the game doesn't need a talented RB does not mean nobody needs one. They are a good compliment to a mediocre QB that could make the team play on another level that it wouldn't otherwise be capable of playing.
      Last edited by FanOfTheGmen; 01-19-2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

FanoftheGman...did you just say what I think you said...Detroit fans would rather have had Barry Sanders than a SB?

Cant take it anymore....just can't...can't

Comment

I'm of a different mindset. To me, at #2, the organization needs to take a long hard look at the QBs available. Personally, I'm not overwhelmed by any of them, but I don't study film, and have only seen one or two of their games, (Seen 1/2 dozen of Mayfields over the last 2 years). if they feel that one of these guys truly is a franchise QB, it behooves them to do what it takes to insure the get him. If not, I think there are enough holes on the team that they should trade down for more picks, assuming they find a partner, and get a good enough deal. I'm also not sold on Squon being the end all for RBs, so there is that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FanOfTheGmen View Post
            And this means you can't have an elite RB as part of a talented team..right..

We are talking about pairing an elite RB with an elite WR along with a TE with a rare size/speed combo. If we had that and fixed the OL, we'd have some very exciting football ahead of us. Playoffs or not. At some point you have to just enjoy the game to enjoy the game, it's just entertainment, unless you've got money invested in it. Even if we didn't win anything as a result (which I think we would), it would be exciting.
            Would the Lions fans of that era trade ever watching Barry Sanders for a Lombardi?..I'd wager not.

Also note that because arguably the best QB to ever play the game doesn't need a talented RB does not mean nobody needs one. They are a good compliment to a mediocre QB that could make the team play on another level that it wouldn't otherwise be capable of playing.
            Getting a RB would literally be pulling the cart before the horse. We don't have horses up front, and until we get some, that cart is going to break down very quickly.
            Long Live the King

Comment

Getting a RB would literally be pulling the cart before the horse. We don't have horses up front, and until we get some, that cart is going to break down very quickly.
              If we fix the OL with rounds 2 and 3 and in the FA, we could be good enough in those areas. For the long term success I concede it's probably better to fix the OL (after a trade down) first or draft a QB. As long as they see Franchise QB. Even if they think they do obviously it's still a gamble and it sets us back even further than we already are. That's why I want the RB I think he could bring some excitement to the game, between Beckham, Engram, and Barkley they would give the DCs fits.

We are such a spoiled fan base, most of them just watch the games to watch the games knowing they probably won't win anything, I think a good RB can at least be a consolation prize and provide excitement. I think an elite RB will make each game more enjoyable, every time we run it it will actually be a positive thing. I think he has Beckham speed, just think Beckham coming out of the backfield. Scary; exciting for us. If we can fix the OL on top of drafting him we will have some great weapons to utilize.
              Last edited by FanOfTheGmen; 01-20-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

You take a RB in the first round, only when picking in the bottom 3rd of the draft and after you either just lost a superbowl or got really far in the playoffs and feel your team needs a RB to put your team over the top.

When it comes to list of priorities, some of you need to understand DRAFT VALUE. So let me break down something so that I don't need to see more Saquon Barkley threads.

RB's are plentiful and dare I say it, Dime A Dozen. RB's do not transcend a franchise like a QB...

Since Tom Brady has been QB, can you name all the RB's he's won with......If your answer is no, then you should already see my point. Barry Sanders was the best I ever saw, and the Lions STILL SUCKED.

Give me an Elite QB or Pass Rusher every day of the week. Give me an Elite Offensive tackle.....

YOU WILL NEVER GET A QB AS CHEAP AS A #2 DRAFT PICK AGAIN. THAT FREE'S UP A TON OF CAP SPACE AND ALLOWS YOU TO BRING IN MORE PIECES.

Taking a RB would be a terrible mistake.
                + 100

Comment

Super bowls are the only thing that matters. End of story.

Draft the guy they think will bring the most chances to win a chip. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post
                    Super bowls are the only thing that matters. End of story.

Draft the guy they think will bring the most chances to win a chip. Simple.
                    If we draft a QB we could be throwing out an opportunity to win one for the sake of winning more in the future, which also could turn out badly and set us behind even more than we already are for years.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
                      Why oh why are there so many Barkley posts? Aren't you folks excited about getting a new QB? Blows my mind. Abs befuddled. What is this fascination with Eli? Someone explain what's so great about him?

And this fascination with ground and pound. Can't we blow out a team 40-10. Even once? Wow do we have to try and win every game 13-10?

Geez
                      What's this fascination with Eli? Really? Have you seen either Super Bowl? The two MVPs? The guy has IT, to quote Acorssi.

Why aren't we excited about a new QB? The second pick of the draft has to be a superstar, impact player from day one. It can't be a guy who will see the field next year or the year after.

None of these QBs are franchise QBs. They just aren't. You draft Barkley or Chubb or trade and take Nelson, Brown, Williams, or McGlinchy. Look for Bo Scarborough in the 3rd round. Steal of the draft.

Comment

I donít get why some people say we have to draft a qb now? If we donít draft a qb this year and this team is in as bad a shape as some say then the chances are we will suck again next year and be in position to draft one then. If your guy is there take him if not pass and readdress next year. You donít take a guy just because, you take a guy because you know heís the one to lead the franchise for the next 12-15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_ToThe_Bone View Post

Simple. Many top analysts believe Barkley is rated the top player in the draft.

I remember the Jaguars fans having the same debate last year. Many wanted to replace Bortles but they drafted Fournette at #4. The Jags went from 3-13 to 10-6 and are now contending for a Super Bowl after drafting a RB at #4.

I always here how running backs are a dime a dozen. It makes me wonder why we have such a hard time finding a good one.
                          AND their RB is their only offensive weapon

While im a Barkley fan, i would be fine passing on him and looking at Guice in the 2nd, Harris, Chubb, Michel or Freeman in the 3rd, or even Scarborough in the 4th

Barkley is defitnely the top RB, but options #2-7 aint bad either
                          Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Working...
                          X