Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFC/NFC Title games: Proof 4 Giants to draft a RB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFC/NFC Title games: Proof 4 Giants to draft a RB?

No RB was particularly dominant or necesary for the teams playing, especially the winners in the conference title games. One could argue Fournette was vital to the Jags winning 85% of the game buy still, itís a passing league and QBs tend to have a crazy amount of attempts in these games, and Iíd argue are more integral to the win.

While Saquon Barkley would be a good pick, and we do have Davis Webb, we still should draft a franchise QB. I think Darnold and Mayfield, and possibly Allen will be successful NFL QBs. I wouldnt be mad about the Barkley pick but its riskier and we need a franchise QB.

Darnold could project into a Roethlisburger clone: good arm, fast legs, and a championship pedigree but has some turnover issues. Iíll take some rings for ocassional slippiness ala Eli any day over gaudy numbers like Rivers or Staffords with no rings.

Mayfield could be a blend of Deshaun Watson and 2017 Case Kenuum. Good enough arm but lots of moxie, intensity and ďit factor.Ē

Allen has a canon arm, all the physical traits, plus a good makeup. He could turn into Joe Flacco. Ocassional brilliance and ocassional pedetrian games.

We can compete with Eli next year and we have the 2nd pick in a QB rich draft. We need to nab our next QB so he can learn under Eli and we can transition to him in 2019 or 20. We still need to rebuild our Oline and get some top linebackers for once, but we can win with our current RBs. We donít want a QB carousel like other teams have had the past decade or we had during the Dave Brown and Kent Graham years.

Look at the title games. The RB barely made a difference. You could argue that it takes a good RB to get some of the teams there, but I saw enough from Darkwa and Gallman to think we can win with them.

Originally posted by flimflam View Post
    No RB was particularly dominant or necesary for the teams playing, especially the winners in the conference title games. One could argue Fournette was vital to the Jags winning 85% of the game buy still, itís a passing league and QBs tend to have a crazy amount of attempts in these games, and Iíd argue are more integral to the win.

While Saquon Barkley would be a good pick, and we do have Davis Webb, we still should draft a franchise QB. I think Darnold and Mayfield, and possibly Allen will be successful NFL QBs. I wouldnt be mad about the Barkley pick but its riskier and we need a franchise QB.

Darnold could project into a Roethlisburger clone: good arm, fast legs, and a championship pedigree but has some turnover issues. Iíll take some rings for ocassional slippiness ala Eli any day over gaudy numbers like Rivers or Staffords with no rings.

Mayfield could be a blend of Deshaun Watson and 2017 Case Kenuum. Good enough arm but lots of moxie, intensity and ďit factor.Ē

Allen has a canon arm, all the physical traits, plus a good makeup. He could turn into Joe Flacco. Ocassional brilliance and ocassional pedetrian games.

We can compete with Eli next year and we have the 2nd pick in a QB rich draft. We need to nab our next QB so he can learn under Eli and we can transition to him in 2019 or 20. We still need to rebuild our Oline and get some top linebackers for once, but we can win with our current RBs. We donít want a QB carousel like other teams have had the past decade or we had during the Dave Brown and Kent Graham years.

Look at the title games. The RB barely made a difference. You could argue that it takes a good RB to get some of the teams there, but I saw enough from Darkwa and Gallman to think we can win with them.
    I get what you are saying but a few times I saw Darkwa have the potential to break a big run but is too slow. He has no top end speed. Qb is essential to win but you better be right about using the 2nd pick in the draft on one. Donít just take one for the sake of taking one.

Comment

fournette was nuetralized because B.B. had no respect for Bortles. A good QB wouldíve seen that a mile away and shred the secondary. Bortles was just too scared to throw a pick.

BB wouldnít dare doing that to Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
        fournette was nuetralized because B.B. had no respect for Bortles. A good QB wouldíve seen that a mile away and shred the secondary. Bortles was just too scared to throw a pick.

BB wouldnít dare doing that to Eli.
        To the 2017 version of Eli? Come on.
        Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

With that running game, defense and 2017 Eli it would have been bye bye Patriots.
          Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Well, turn it around. Brady was a 6th rounder. Keenum undrafted. Foles was a third rounder I think. The only first rounder was Blake and he's the worst of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by PRGiant View Post
              Well, turn it around. Brady was a 6th rounder. Keenum undrafted. Foles was a third rounder I think. The only first rounder was Blake and he's the worst of the bunch.
              Well said.

I think if nothing else this makes it clear that we need to take the best player available to us. If that is a QB fine, if its a RB fine, if its a G or DE or DB fine. Just go get us a stud. Getting a Pro Bowler at any position is better than getting a dud at a needed position.

Go look at the 2007 draft. Perfect example. A QB, DE and OT all taken in the first 5 picks (1st, 4th, 5th). All very important positions, much more important than a RB. All three guys busted and Adrian Peterson went 7th overall. If we get an All Pro player I don't care what position he plays.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

With that running game, defense and 2017 Eli it would have been bye bye Patriots.
                The boldness of speculation. "This would have happened...That would have happened"

MY speculation is that Eli would have folded amid that pass rush. Bortles has mobility. Eli?....Not so much.

Not sure if you saw those moments when Eli curled in the fetal position without being hit this year.

Comment

The boldness of speculation. "This would have happened...That would have happened"

MY speculation is that Eli would have folded amid that pass rush. Bortles has mobility. Eli?....Not so much.

Not sure if you saw those moments when Eli curled in the fetal position without being hit this year.
                  Youíre speculation is different than mine. No surprise there. If they fix the OL this year we can make some kind of bet. You can name the terms of the bet.
                  Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

Youíre speculation is different than mine. No surprise there. If they fix the OL this year we can make some kind of bet. You can name the terms of the bet.
                    I mean this in all seriousness....How on earth do you "fix" the O line in one year when there are at least 25 other teams trying to "fix" their O lines?

The Browns paid $60MM for a "decent" RG last year. EVERYBODY is chasing O line and they will all be overpaid.

To say that fixing the O line is easier said than done is beyond an overstatement. The bottom line is that whoever the Giants QB is next year, he will be having to deal with a lot of heavy pressure.

Comment

I mean this in all seriousness....How on earth do you "fix" the O line in one year when there are at least 25 other teams trying to "fix" their O lines?

The Browns paid $60MM for a "decent" RG last year. EVERYBODY is chasing O line and they will all be overpaid.

To say that fixing the O line is easier said than done is beyond an overstatement. The bottom line is that whoever the Giants QB is next year, he will be having to deal with a lot of heavy pressure.
                      this is the scary part!!

Comment

Did Eli ever have mobility?

Yet he shredded bb s defense twice.

I don't think Eli became afraid of pass rush spontaneously. I think due to the deficiency of the offensive line and terrible coaching by Ben macadoo Eli was very likely instructed to get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible.

His "internal clock" was so out of wack from getting hit in less they a second that it ruined his ability to be relaxed in the pocket.

But in the beginning of the season and early in games Eli did not really have that problem. It wasn't until the he started getting pummeled regularly that he had no choice but to react to how fast he getting hit.

Comment

Yes

Comment

This is true, look at the RBs in the Super Bowl matchup. James White/Dion Lewis vs Jay Ajayi/LeGarrette Blount. LOL, talk about a group of mediocre running backs! James White was drafted in the 4th round, Dion Lewis was drafted in the 5th round, Jay Ajayi was drafted in the 5th round, and Legarrette Blount was undrafted. If there's any info that proves we SHOULD NOT draft Barkley this is it. Notice how all the stud RBs had difficulty running the football in these playoff games! Fournette started off the game well, but at the end of the game he was averaging like 1-2 yards per carry. Basically it was a wasted play every time he ran the ball. Use this comment as reference when arguing someone that says: "We must draft Barkley". Just send them to this post. None of the 1st round RB talent made it to the Super Bowl or carried their team to the Super Bowl this year.

Comment

Eli was pressing too. As good as Eli can be, he still needs good pieces around him: a good Oline, at least a mjnjmal running game and some wideouts. Give him some time and he can do his work. But we were so decimated by injuries and Eli started to press and think he could carry the team on his shoulders. Heís not that kind of QB. At one point, or maybe the whole season, but he got rid of the ball the fastest in the league-that is really telling. Eli needs time because his bread and butter are smooth deep throws.

Comment

Working...
                              X