Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the 2nd overall picks in the cap era.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the 2nd overall picks in the cap era.

1994 RB Marshall Faulk 12 seasons ( 1994-2005 ) ( 6 time pro bowl) ( 3 time all pro) (HOF)

1995 OT Tony Boselli 7 seasons ( 1995-2001) (5 time pro bowl) (4 time all pro)

1996 LB Kevin Hardy 9 seasons (1996-2004) (pro bowl) (all pro)

1997 DT Darrell Russell 7 season (1997- 2003)( 2 time prow bowl ) (all pro)

1998 QB Ryan Leaf HEHEHEHEH

1999 QB Donovan McNabb 13 seasons (1999-2011) (5 time pro bowl)

2000 LB LaVar Arrington 7 seasons (2000-2006) (3 time pro bowl)

2001 OT Leonard Davis 11 seasons (2001-2012) ( 3 time pro bowl)

2002 DE Julius Peppers 16 seasons (2002-present) (8 time pro bowl) (3 time all pro) WOW

2003 WR Charles Rogers 3 seasons (2003-2006) (BUST)

2004 OT Robert Gallery 8 seasons (2004-2012)

2005 RB Ronnie Brown 10 seasons (2005-2014) ( pro bowl)

2006 RB Reggie Bush 11 seasons (2006-2016)

2007 WR Calvin Johnson 9 seasons (2007-2015) (6 time pro bowl) (3 time all pro)

2008 DE Chris Long 10 seasons (2008-present )

2009 OT Jason Smith 4 seasons (2009-2012) (BUST)

2010 DT Ndamukong Suh 8 seasons (2010-present) (4 time pro bowl) (3 time all pro)

2011 LB Von Miller 7 seasons. (2011-present) (6 time pro bowl) (3 time all pro)

2012 QB Robert Griffin 4 seasons (2012 -2016) ( pro bowl) (BUST)

2013 OT Luke Joeckel 5 seasons (2013-present)

2014 OT Greg Robinson 4 seasons (2014-present) (Potential BUST)

2015 QB Marcus Mariota 3 seasons

2016 QB Carson Wentz 2 seasons

2017 QB Mitch Trubisky 1 season

With the 2nd over all 23 drafts years ( Cap era )
    6 QBs
    6 OTs
    3 RBs
    3 LBs
    2 DTs
    2 WRs
    1 DE
    It is good to see more good players came out of the #2 that not. Gives me some optimism.
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Cool to see the running backs did well. I am really surprised so many OT and DTs went in pick 2. Are there any Von Villers in this draft?

Comment

Just for people wondering. "Cap era" means "salary cap era".

Originally posted by NovaScotian View Post
      Cool to see the running backs did well. I am really surprised so many OT and DTs went in pick 2. Are there any Von Villers in this draft?
      Actually its the opposite of what you are saying. Marshall Faulk is a hall of famer but the other two 2nd overall RBs were certainly busts. Reggie Bush has been a backup RB for how many years now? I can't believe he's still in the NFL. Surprisingly he has a Super Bowl ring. He was on the Saints when they won their Super Bowl. Reggie had a total of 400 rushing yards that season. lol

Ronnie Brown had 3 good seasons in his career. The rest was either mediocre or just years he was riding the bench (sort of like Reggie Bush). It could also be argued that Marshall Faulk was playing in the ground and pound NFL era of the NFL. Today it is now the pass happy league.
      Last edited by compaqnigg; 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

It could also be argued that Marshall Faulk was playing in the ground and pound NFL era of the NFL. Today it is now the pass happy league.[/QUOTE]

Didnít Faulk have a hand in turning it into a pass happy league? If memory serves the Greatest Show on Turf featured a lot of passes to the HB. Of course Faulk was a dangerous runner as well.

Comment

Obviously we need to take Minkah Fitzpatrick.
          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

what about number 5 overall after they trade with denver?

or 6 overall after trading with the Jets?

what about 21 overall after trading with the jets?

i'd like to see how much a difference it makes

Comment

Crazy how every lineman on that list can be considered a bust except for Leonard Davis, but even he struggled at Tackle and had to play inside at Guard where he turned into a solid player. Linemen aren't as safe as a pick as everyone assumes they are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
                Crazy how every lineman on that list can be considered a bust except for Leonard Davis, but even he struggled at Tackle and had to play inside at Guard where he turned into a solid player. Linemen aren't as safe as a pick as everyone assumes they are.

I don't think he is a bust lol. Too soon to tell on Joekel and Robinson, but 50% of the other OL were Pro Bowlers and even Robert Gallery made a decent career as a guard. That is not too shabby, especially when you look at some of the other positions and first round success.
                LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
                  True statement, why some that can barely be a starter bring top dollar.
                  "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

some nice names on that list with Marshall Faulk , Calvin Johnson and Von Miller probably being the three guys in Canton although I feel Boseli should be inducted too

Comment

some nice names on that list with Marshall Faulk, Calvin Johnson , Von Miller and Julius Peppers virtually assured of busts in Canton ( Faulk already inducted last summer )

Comment

Very interesting to look at the list. However, it's important to remember with some of the busts that it was not really the GM's fault. Many of them were clear good draft picks that most NFL GM's would have drafted (IE RG3). The good news is that there's an excellent chance that the pick will be a good NFL player.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

I don't think he is a bust lol. Too soon to tell on Joekel and Robinson, but 50% of the other OL were Pro Bowlers and even Robert Gallery made a decent career as a guard. That is not too shabby, especially when you look at some of the other positions and first round success.
                          Ok I missed Boselli, I'll give you that. But, if you take a guy like Robert Gallery at #2 overall, that is a bust. He was a decent guard at his best, but that does not equate to the #2 overall selection, especially when Larry Fitz, Sean Taylor, Phillip Rivers, and Roethlisberger were on the board.

Also, Joeckel and Robinson are 100% busts. Neither could cut it at tackle, had to be moved to guard and were on a different team within 4-5 years. When you draft a guy #2 overall, you expect a cornerstone player for the next decade. Robinson was traded for a mid round pick entering his 4th year, and was a backup LT for the Lions this year who struggled when pressed into action, and Joekel was deemed not worthy of having his 5th year option picked up. They may go on to have decent careers somewhere else, but they were a bust for the teams that drafted them.
                          Last edited by JimFassel69; 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
                            Very interesting to look at the list. However, it's important to remember with some of the busts that it was not really the GM's fault. Many of them were clear good draft picks that most NFL GM's would have drafted (IE RG3). The good news is that there's an excellent chance that the pick will be a good NFL player.
                            It shows there is never a sure thing. Even with a high pick that is not a QB. That is why there are only 32 GMs and A gazillion so called experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Makin Plays View Post
                              It could also be argued that Marshall Faulk was playing in the ground and pound NFL era of the NFL. Today it is now the pass happy league.
                              Didnít Faulk have a hand in turning it into a pass happy league? If memory serves the Greatest Show on Turf featured a lot of passes to the HB. Of course Faulk was a dangerous runner as well. [/QUOTE]

Sure was. Man had a 1000 yd receiving season and was equally a strong runner. One of the most unique and versatile RB talents I've ever watched.

Comment

Working...
                              X