Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PART 2: Why It Doesn't Make Sense To Draft Barkley With The 2nd Pick of the Draft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PART 2: Why It Doesn't Make Sense To Draft Barkley With The 2nd Pick of the Draft.

Part 1 of this series (lets make it a TV series! :-) can be read here: http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...k-of-the-draft

Part 2 will not focus on salary cap reasons, but statistics of why drafting an RB in the 1st round has HISTORICALLY been a bad idea in the modern pass happy NFL league.

Exhibit A: C4Z2CfCWAAAwAww.jpg

Link of picture in case its not showing above: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4Z2CfCWAAAwAww.jpg

^^ As you can see above, the only 1st round RBs that have won a Super Bowl in the past 13 years are Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Joseph Addai, and Jerome Bettis. Of those 4 RBs I'd only consider two of them considerable pieces to their offense (Lynch and Addai).

Reggie Bush had 390 yards rushing the season the Saints won the Super Bowl. Stat wise he was 3rd overall rushing on the team (Pierre Thomas had 793 yards rushing, and Mike Bell had 654 yards rushing). Reggie wasn't a contributing factor for his team even reaching the playoffs. Reggie was selected 2nd overall in his draft. (here's his stats in 2009, the Super Bowl winning season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c..._and_receiving).

Jerome Bettis had quite the NFL career, but in 2005 when they won their Super Bowl he had 368 yards rushing on the season (3.3 yards per carry). Their true starting RB, Willie Parker, had 1,202 yards rushing (4.7 yards per carry). You can't say that Bettis got them into the playoffs with his lackluster production. (here's his stats in 2005, the Super Bowl winning season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2005.htm)

^^ Those sort of numbers could be reproduced by an undrafted RB talent! Speaking of undrafted RBs, 5 of them won a Super Bowl. Not only won it, but HIGHLY contributed to their season and ultimately their win of the Super Bowl. The point is that these incredible RB talents that have been drafted high within the 1st round of the draft haven't contributed to winning Super Bowls. Furthermore, I mentioned above that 2 RBs in the past 13 years have contributed significantly to their Super Bowl winning years (Lynch and Addai). Joseph Addai was drafted 30th overall in the 1st round. Meaning, the Colts already had a VERY good team when they drafted him. He just about made it into the 2nd round of the draft. He was drafted in 2006. That year Reggie Bush was drafted 2nd overall, Laurence Maroney was drafted 21st overall (Bust), DeAngelo Williams was drafted 27th overall (he actually had a good career, 48th on all-time rushing list, but no Super Bowl).

It just shows you that high first round RBs have not been a contributing factor to winning Super Bowls in the modern NFL. Elite defenses have been the key, a stout offensive line, and plugging in a competent RB talent is good enough. Since 2005, 29 RBs have been selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft. If we say that only 2 of them contributed to their teams making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl that's a percentage of 6.8% of 1st round RBs winning a Super Bowl since 2005. Sure that number will be low because only one team can win a Super Bowl, but that is unfathomably low when you consider the amount of RBs that have been drafted since that time. You can even go back further many years until you find another 1st round RB that won a Championship (2001 Deuce McAllister won a SB... LaDainian Tomlinson was drafted 5th overall that year and he never won a Championship).

Many Giants fans want to draft with their eyes. Barkley looks spectacular, but remember that its just eye candy. Go watch youtube clips of Reggie Bush's highlight tape. That will wow you too. He collected his SB being the 3rd RB on the depth chart. If you want the Giants to be a winning franchise the data says "DON'T DRAFT AN RB EARLY IN THE DRAFT!".

Ready for this- QB's drafted in the top 5 (since 2005-2015) super bowl victories

(05) Alex Smith- 0
    (06) Vince Young- 0
    (07) Jamarcus Russell- 0
    (08) Matt Ryan- 0
    (09) Matt Stafford- 0
    (09) Mark Sanchez- 0
    (10) Sam Bradford- 0
    (11) Cam Newton- 0
    (12) Andrew Luck- 0
    (12) RG3- 0
    (14) Bortles- 0
    (15) Mariota- 0
    (15) Winston- 0

Comment

Good post again, not sure why Giants fans cant seem to come with the terms we're never taking Barkley.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
        Ready for this- QB's drafted in the top 5 (since 2005-2015) super bowl victories

(05) Alex Smith- 0
        (06) Vince Young- 0
        (07) Jamarcus Russell- 0
        (08) Matt Ryan- 0
        (09) Matt Stafford- 0
        (09) Mark Sanchez- 0
        (10) Sam Bradford- 0
        (11) Cam Newton- 0
        (12) Andrew Luck- 0
        (12) RG3- 0
        (14) Bortles- 0
        (15) Mariota- 0
        (15) Winston- 0
        That proves that trading back in the draft a little, collecting picks, and selecting either an offensive lineman or defensive player (linebacker) is the way to go. Seems like you are on the same page!

Comment

Originally posted by nycowns View Post
          Good post again, not sure why Giants fans cant seem to come with the terms we're never taking Barkley.
          Do u have some sort of inside info???
          Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Do u have some sort of inside info???
            Yes plus common sense The Giants are never taking Barkley at #2. I'll delete my account and PayPal every member $10 if they do

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
              That proves that trading back in the draft a little, collecting picks, and selecting either an offensive lineman or defensive player (linebacker) is the way to go. Seems like you are on the same page!
              appears to me that trading back almost always provides more value to the team moving back. I'd be curious if to go look at historic trades in the first round and see who got the better deal. You should do that as proof of your argument.

Comment

Compelling reasons to trade down.
                There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                  Part 1 of this series (lets make it a TV series! :-) can be read here: http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...k-of-the-draft

Part 2 will not focus on salary cap reasons, but statistics of why drafting an RB in the 1st round has HISTORICALLY been a bad idea in the modern pass happy NFL league.

Exhibit A: C4Z2CfCWAAAwAww.jpg

Link of picture in case its not showing above: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4Z2CfCWAAAwAww.jpg

^^ As you can see above, the only 1st round RBs that have won a Super Bowl in the past 13 years are Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Joseph Addai, and Jerome Bettis. Of those 4 RBs I'd only consider two of them considerable pieces to their offense (Lynch and Addai).

Reggie Bush had 390 yards rushing the season the Saints won the Super Bowl. Stat wise he was 3rd overall rushing on the team (Pierre Thomas had 793 yards rushing, and Mike Bell had 654 yards rushing). Reggie wasn't a contributing factor for his team even reaching the playoffs. Reggie was selected 2nd overall in his draft. (here's his stats in 2009, the Super Bowl winning season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c..._and_receiving).

Jerome Bettis had quite the NFL career, but in 2005 when they won their Super Bowl he had 368 yards rushing on the season (3.3 yards per carry). Their true starting RB, Willie Parker, had 1,202 yards rushing (4.7 yards per carry). You can't say that Bettis got them into the playoffs with his lackluster production. (here's his stats in 2005, the Super Bowl winning season: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2005.htm)

^^ Those sort of numbers could be reproduced by an undrafted RB talent! Speaking of undrafted RBs, 5 of them won a Super Bowl. Not only won it, but HIGHLY contributed to their season and ultimately their win of the Super Bowl. The point is that these incredible RB talents that have been drafted high within the 1st round of the draft haven't contributed to winning Super Bowls. Furthermore, I mentioned above that 2 RBs in the past 13 years have contributed significantly to their Super Bowl winning years (Lynch and Addai). Joseph Addai was drafted 30th overall in the 1st round. Meaning, the Colts already had a VERY good team when they drafted him. He just about made it into the 2nd round of the draft. He was drafted in 2006. That year Reggie Bush was drafted 2nd overall, Laurence Maroney was drafted 21st overall (Bust), DeAngelo Williams was drafted 27th overall (he actually had a good career, 48th on all-time rushing list, but no Super Bowl).

It just shows you that high first round RBs have not been a contributing factor to winning Super Bowls in the modern NFL. Elite defenses have been the key, a stout offensive line, and plugging in a competent RB talent is good enough. Since 2005, 29 RBs have been selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft. If we say that only 2 of them contributed to their teams making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl that's a percentage of 6.8% of 1st round RBs winning a Super Bowl since 2005. Sure that number will be low because only one team can win a Super Bowl, but that is unfathomably low when you consider the amount of RBs that have been drafted since that time. You can even go back further many years until you find another 1st round RB that won a Championship (2001 Deuce McAllister won a SB... LaDainian Tomlinson was drafted 5th overall that year and he never won a Championship).

Many Giants fans want to draft with their eyes. Barkley looks spectacular, but remember that its just eye candy. Go watch youtube clips of Reggie Bush's highlight tape. That will wow you too. He collected his SB being the 3rd RB on the depth chart. If you want the Giants to be a winning franchise the data says "DON'T DRAFT AN RB EARLY IN THE DRAFT!".
                  Another great post.
                  There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

If everyones baseline for a draftpick is recently drafted guys from same position to win a superbowl, then were pretty much not picking anyone from any position.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=nfl+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Originally posted by mikeq6722 View Post
                        If everyones baseline for a draftpick is recently drafted guys from same position to win a superbowl, then were pretty much not picking anyone from any position.
                        You missed the point.
                        Last edited by TEM; 01-29-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Yes plus common sense The Giants are never taking Barkley at #2. I'll delete my account and PayPal every member $10 if they do
                          Oh yea, what kind of inside info u got???

Never say never, well unless youre Gettleman, LOL. I hate when people say something like its a "no question about it" type of statement, unless youre front office everything is up for debate and anything is possible

Not hating on you specifically, but just hate when people make statements like that
                          Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Oh yea, what kind of inside info u got???

Never say never, well unless youre Gettleman, LOL. I hate when people say something like its a "no question about it" type of statement, unless youre front office everything is up for debate and anything is possible

Not hating on you specifically, but just hate when people make statements like that
                            Cant say but you're right, I'm downgrading it to 99.99% sure we aren't taking any RB at #2.

Comment

Cant say but you're right, I'm downgrading it to 99.99% sure we aren't taking any RB at #2.
                              LOL!!

......Soooo whats good with that inside info my man??

Personally i want to trade down but id be OK with Barkley at 2, or Guice in the 2nd, or Michel or Chubb in the 3rd

SO many ways we can go and id be good with it.... As long as we come away with certain positions

Comment

Working...
                              X