Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PART 2: Why It Doesn't Make Sense To Draft Barkley With The 2nd Pick of the Draft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post

Do u have some sort of inside info???
    Yeah...Logic..

haha. I don't want to keep rehashing, but drafting Barkley is pulling the car before the horse. Our horse is the OL. You can have a great run game if you fix the line and get a good RB... We don't need an Elite level RB
    Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Yeah...Logic..

haha. I don't want to keep rehashing, but drafting Barkley is pulling the car before the horse. Our horse is the OL. You can have a great run game if you fix the line and get a good RB... We don't need an Elite level RB
      The OL is undeniably something that needs addressing but could it not be done through free agency? If we got Barkley and a couple of OL free agents, the offense could be brilliant

Comment

Sorry man, still not a good reason not to take a RB in the first round. If Barkley is the best guy for this team they should and will take him. If they trade back I am fine with that. If they take Nelson or Chubb or some other prospect they think is the best I am fine with that. It is ridiculous to not take the guy you think is the best because his position isn't right.

LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
          Sorry man, still not a good reason not to take a RB in the first round. If Barkley is the best guy for this team they should and will take him. If they trade back I am fine with that. If they take Nelson or Chubb or some other prospect they think is the best I am fine with that. It is ridiculous to not take the guy you think is the best because his position isn't right.
          Yes it is, this plus the original part 1 thread and the fact that the average RBís life span is 4 years are all reason we WONT take a RB. Move on

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
            +1

This is how I feel. Trust your draft board and don't waiver. The draft is a crap shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
              Ready for this- QB's drafted in the top 5 (since 2005-2015) super bowl victories

(05) Alex Smith- 0
              (06) Vince Young- 0
              (07) Jamarcus Russell- 0
              (08) Matt Ryan- 0
              (09) Matt Stafford- 0
              (09) Mark Sanchez- 0
              (10) Sam Bradford- 0
              (11) Cam Newton- 0
              (12) Andrew Luck- 0
              (12) RG3- 0
              (14) Bortles- 0
              (15) Mariota- 0
              (15) Winston- 0
              So no one should ever take a QB in the top 5?

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

exactly!

noone should ever take a pick in the top 5 so long as teams are willing to give away so much draft stock to trade up like they historically have been doing.

first you have to hope your pick is not a bust (QBs have an extremely high bust rate, higher than all positions except WR)
                then you have to hope your pick is a star
                then you have to hope your pick, even if a star, is better than the 3 picks you gave up to get that star.(what makes you a better team, that one star player or the 3 star players you passed on to get that star?)
                or hope your star is better than the 3 stars you could have gotten by trading back.

thats a lot of hope.
                Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-29-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

No not saying that, I'm just showing that you can find or manipulate data to fit in any situation to make an argument against taking a certain position in the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by SteRobbo84 View Post

The OL is undeniably something that needs addressing but could it not be done through free agency? If we got Barkley and a couple of OL free agents, the offense could be brilliant
                    With what money? We have 3 line men on the roster and 23 million in cap space. If we choose to draft a player with the 2nd . He will cost 5+ another 3 for the additional picks . 6 for a buffer. That leaves 9 to fill the rest of the roster. We can free up some additional cash cut, DRC, Marshall, Harris. that will free up close to 14 . Now that is 23 and 19 roster spots . You are signing maybe 1 or 2 line men that is at 6 million each. Still short 3 line men. Where is the money for the rest of the roster coming from? We have 1 LB under contract Goodson, No matter how you slice it we can not afford to take a RB and pay him 5 million with the other blaring holes on this team that need to be filled.
                    Last edited by TEM; 01-29-2018, 09:04 PM.
                    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

With what money? We have 3 line men on the roster and 23 million in cap space. If we choose to draft a player with the 2nd . He will cost 5+ another 3 for the additional picks . 6 for a buffer. That leaves 9 to fill the rest of the roster. We can free up some additional cash cut, DRC, Marshall, Harris. that will free up close to 14 . Now that is 23 and 19 roster spots . You are signing maybe 1 or 2 line men that is at 6 million each. Still short 3 line men. Where is the money for the rest of the roster coming from? We have 1 LB under contract Goodson, No matter how you slice it we afford to take a RB and pay him 5 million with the other blaring holes on this team the need to be filled.
                      so they can't take a QB high in the draft and keep eli? sincerely wondering

Comment

Originally posted by nycowns View Post

Yes it is, this plus the original part 1 thread and the fact that the average RBís life span is 4 years are all reason we WONT take a RB. Move on
                        LMAO well that isn't bad considering the average NFL players career is 2.66 years. Fact is the average lifespan across all positions is goes up tremendously

a player making the opening day roster as a rookie - 6 years,
                        players drafted in the 1st round - 9.3 years
                        players making at least 1 Pro Bowl - 11.7 years

Go out in the first round and get the best player you can and he has the best odds of sticking around in the NFL. I'm not convinced we take Barkley at all, I just think these threads are kind of silly reasons not too. Your made up stats are the best part, especially when you give RBs more credit since 4 years is much higher than the average RB career.
                        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

You missed the point.
                          No I didnt. Just think people are getting carried away with these threads. Every other day there is a dont draft this position for this reason thread. You take the BPA available. You dont ignore so and so position for any reason other than overly obvious things like punters and what not. If they think Barkley is the best player in the draft, and hes the next Ladanian Tomlinson or something, you take him and figure out a way to rebuild the line through FA. You have to operate with the assumption that your scouts are capable of doing their job, not with the assumption that youre wrong about a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Yeah...Logic..

What's a good rb? The giants haven't invested any top picks or top dollars. I'm talking 1st and 2nd round or major free agent signings. If darwka could avg 4.4 yards a carry with this oline, (darwka I consider about avg), imagine what Barkley or another top rb could do... And a elite rb in today's NFL can do more than just run, they can catch the ball put of the backfield which can really help extend drives. Darwka killed the giants with not being able to catch the ball last year.
                            [SIGPIC]

Comment

6th Round QBs - Tom Brady
                              7th Round RBs - Bradshaw
                              Undrafted WRs - Cruz
                              Basketball playing TEs - Gates
                              Canadian Centers - Jones
                              Safety's turned LBs - Urlacher

That is how you build a successful team. Lets trad all out early picks and really stock up on later picks. Players only last 259 plays in the NFL, might as well get a bunch of players.
                              "Next man up"

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

so they can't take a QB high in the draft and keep eli? sincerely wondering
                                It is looking more and more like we have to trade down or cut Eli. If we cut Eli that money will not be free until June 1st long after the FA blitz. I see no math with the 6 big contracts the Giants have that frees up enough cap space to justify paying a rookie 5 million with the missing pieces this team needs just to field a team.
                                Last edited by TEM; 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM.
                                There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Working...
                                X