X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is only 1 generational prospect in the 2018 draft

Quenton Nelson.

Trade down.

I love Nelson, and we need O line help more than ever, but I just can't get my arms around the idea of not taking a QB at 2nd overall in a QB-rich draft, when our starter is 37 and showing serious signs of decline.

Think about it this way: if you don't take a QB with this pick, and Eli really stinks it up (as he has done a lot of the past two seasons), what's your plan? I assume the plan would be to put in Davis Webb, a completely unproven third round pick. I don't like that strategy. I would rather grab Rosen or Darnold and then focus on O line as the draft unfolds. Don't get me wrong- I would love to have Nelson, but I just can't see not taking a top QB prospect with this pick. It's very hard to find a starting QB in NFL drafts in later rounds. Good linemen get taken in rounds 2-4 all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
      I love Nelson, and we need O line help more than ever, but I just can't get my arms around the idea of not taking a QB at 2nd overall in a QB-rich draft, when our starter is 37 and showing serious signs of decline.

Think about it this way: if you don't take a QB with this pick, and Eli really stinks it up (as he has done a lot of the past two seasons), what's your plan? I assume the plan would be to put in Davis Webb, a completely unproven third round pick. I don't like that strategy. I would rather grab Rosen or Darnold and then focus on O line as the draft unfolds. Don't get me wrong- I would love to have Nelson, but I just can't see not taking a top QB prospect with this pick. It's very hard to find a starting QB in NFL drafts in later rounds. Good linemen get taken in rounds 2-4 all the time.
      You assumption is that this class is deep in QB talent, but not a single one of these guys is a top QB prospect. All of them have some pretty big red flags. It makes sense to take a QB if we do our due diligence and decide one of these guys is worth the risk. I'm really not sure that happens.

Think about it this way. If you take a QB and Eli stinks it up and Rosen is a bust because of injuries or Darnold because he is a turnover machine that can't read the field or Mayfield because he can't see the field ect. What's your plan? I'll tell you what happens, this franchise spends the next 3-4 years trying to figure things out at QB, mean while all our talent is getting that much older. We simply can't force a pick for QB because we like that position, we need to find a prospect we love.

You are right though there will be some very good linemen taken in rounds 2 and 3 this year. I'm not apposed to trading back to 5 grabbing Nelson, or BPA and then grabbing more linemen in rounds 2 and 3. We certainly can use the help.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

You probably couldn't trade down very far. Nelson will be drafted high. Probably higher than anyone thinks.

Comment

Trading down is a popular. The problem with advocating it is many times it simply isn't possible because nobody will offer fair value to trade up. So while I wouldnt mind it at all, we have to prepare like it isnt going to happen since it is beyond just our control.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
            I assume the plan would be to put in Davis Webb, a completely unproven third round pick. I don't like that strategy. I would rather grab Rosen or Darnold and then focus on O line as the draft unfolds. .
            Davis Webb is just as unproven as a prospect as Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, etc. They all have issues with their game, Rosen is made of glass, Darnold is a careless turnover machine, Mayfield painfully lacks size desired. While Webb did drop to the 3rd, it doesnt mean he wasnt a good prospect.

I hear what youre saying, but i feel like we shouldnt be forced into taking a qb because we are sitting so high. We should ake the best player who will help our team for years to come, and in mind it isnt 1 of these qbs.
            Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
              Trading down is a popular. The problem with advocating it is many times it simply isn't possible because nobody will offer fair value to trade up. So while I wouldnt mind it at all, we have to prepare like it isnt going to happen since it is beyond just our control.
              Teams lose their minds for QBs though and we are right in the QB sweet spot....

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Teams lose their minds for QBs though and we are right in the QB sweet spot....
                True, we are in a good spot. But that doesnt mean that we are going to get a proper offer, it just improves our chances. The thing I want to avoid is going into the draft with the mindset that if we dont trade down it is a failure. The fact is our draft pick is worth a LOT and we shouldnt trade it unless its a good offer.
                sigpic

Comment

The two positons that people want on here is the strength of this year's draft. This draft is deep with RB and G. Why can't we wait till the second round to get a RB or G. If we trade back I would go with a LT or LB or Jackson if he's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzan 26 View Post
                    The two positons that people want on here is the strength of this year's draft. This draft is deep with RB and G. Why can't we wait till the second round to get a RB or G. If we trade back I would go with a LT or LB or Jackson if he's still there.
                    If we need a RB AND a OG (we need two Gs right now), and that is a strength it makes perfect sense to take one RB/OG in the first round and one OG/RB in the second round; this way you get two strong players.

There is no LT in the draft. I'd be good with a stud LB in round 1 or 2 for sure, although I doubt we go that.
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                      If we need a RB AND a OG (we need two Gs right now), and that is a strength it makes perfect sense to take one RB/OG in the first round and one OG/RB in the second round; this way you get two strong players.

There is no LT in the draft. I'd be good with a stud LB in round 1 or 2 for sure, although I doubt we go that.
                      I prefer to get two guards in the second round, if we trade back far enough, we could also get another 2nd round pick. And I listed at least 4 OTs for you a little earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post

True, we are in a good spot. But that doesnt mean that we are going to get a proper offer, it just improves our chances. The thing I want to avoid is going into the draft with the mindset that if we dont trade down it is a failure. The fact is our draft pick is worth a LOT and we shouldnt trade it unless its a good offer.
                        Agreed. Although I think that they may get some feelers before the draft that will give them some idea of what kind of return they can get for the pick.

But you're right ... can't go into the draft with only one plan ... have to be ready for any scenario so we don't get Eli Appled again.

Comment

I do think Nelson will be good, but he is no 1 in a generational player. I remember everyone going gaga for Brandon Scherff a few years ago. Also Zack Martin. Nelson will be up with them.
                          http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

There is no LT in the draft
                            I feel like everyone says this almost every year. Last year for example I was saying we should draft a OT and no one thought there were any. I wanted Ramcyzk. He turned into a damn good tackle for the Saints already. So did Cam Robinson in the 2nd round for the Jags.

There are OTs in this draft. Just have to find the right ones.
                            http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Agreed. Although I think that they may get some feelers before the draft that will give them some idea of what kind of return they can get for the pick.

But you're right ... can't go into the draft with only one plan ... have to be ready for any scenario so we don't get Eli Appled again.
                              rofl

Comment

Working...
                              X