• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Is that a pod?
    Actually found clip on McCloughlan’s Twitter feed

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
      Just listened to a clip of him on the Doug Gottlieb show (not sure how to post link).. He is asked: You have to pick one QB to lead your franchise, who is it going to be? Without hesitation, he says: Baker Mayfield.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
        I want to say that the Raiders did something equally as dumb as that. I don't know why but I swear I remember the Raiders selecting WRs in the 1st round in multiple drafts in a row, and all of those WRs ended up being busts. Off their team within several years.

I remember the Lions doing that.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flimflam View Post
          Luckily enough, we have Gettleman now instead of Reese.
          Hilarious. Listen I am very happy to have Gettleman and I have tons of confidence in him BUT Reese has a much better track record with 1st round draft picks. Who is the best guy Gettleman has taken in the first round? They don't compare to Reese's best picks. Gettleman has made his money finding talent in the mid rounds, which Reese was terrible about doing.

Like I said I'm fully confident that Gettleman can do the job and will be great; but stop acting like Reese never did anything good please.
          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
            Hilarious. Listen I am very happy to have Gettleman and I have tons of confidence in him BUT Reese has a much better track record with 1st round draft picks. Who is the best guy Gettleman has taken in the first round? They don't compare to Reese's best picks. Gettleman has made his money finding talent in the mid rounds, which Reese was terrible about doing.

Like I said I'm fully confident that Gettleman can do the job and will be great; but stop acting like Reese never did anything good please.
            Reese whiffed on 2 top-10 picks in 3 years. Franchise killing picks.

Engram looks like a good pick, but he should have picked Ryan Ramczyk
            Last edited by TCHOF; 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Franchise killing is a bit much, certainly career killing though. Yes he missed on two picks and since that was recently we remember them more clearly. He also hit on almost every other first round pick he made, the first 5 of which started in the Super Bowl for us. We can second guess his pick of Engram and say he should have gone a different direction, but Engram proved to be very talented and worthy of the pick.

Reese made two* bad picks out of 11. Go look at the rest of the GMs in the league and you will see most are not as good as that. He made his mistakes and paid for them, Gettleman has not proven to be amazing with first round picks so I laugh when people act like he will do such a better job with the first round pick. If you want to talk about mid round picks Gettleman should be our savior in that aspect.

*Jury still out on Apple, looks like a bad pick this year, last year he didn't. At least let the kid play 3 seasons in the NFL before judging him. Same with Engram IMO, one good year does not make a career.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                Franchise killing is a bit much, certainly career killing though. Yes he missed on two picks and since that was recently we remember them more clearly. He also hit on almost every other first round pick he made, the first 5 of which started in the Super Bowl for us. We can second guess his pick of Engram and say he should have gone a different direction, but Engram proved to be very talented and worthy of the pick.

Reese made two* bad picks out of 11. Go look at the rest of the GMs in the league and you will see most are not as good as that. He made his mistakes and paid for them, Gettleman has not proven to be amazing with first round picks so I laugh when people act like he will do such a better job with the first round pick. If you want to talk about mid round picks Gettleman should be our savior in that aspect.

*Jury still out on Apple, looks like a bad pick this year, last year he didn't. At least let the kid play 3 seasons in the NFL before judging him. Same with Engram IMO, one good year does not make a career.
                Aaron Ross was a hit?

Justin Pugh was a hit?

Amukamura?

Wilson?

I think that you are overstating his record. Drafting ok players in the first round is not a "hit"

Comment

Aaron Ross was a hit?

Justin Pugh was a hit?

Amukamura?

Wilson?

I think that you are overstating his record. Drafting ok players in the first round is not a "hit"
                  Jury is still out on Apple. People rarely change. Maybe Apple matures and improves, but his CB play has been atrocious. The weaknesses pointed out in his draft scouting report are still there and glaring weaknesses: doesn’t turn his head, grabs the receiver a lot, bad ball skills, etc. He was picked because Reese got owned by Chicago and Tennessee when they jumped us for our top board guys in Floyd and Conklin. Now Chicago has a stud oass rushing linebacker which we’ve lacked for years and Tennesse has a franchise right tackle who’s got a nasty streak. They have a tackle that wants to whoop *** on the field instead of telling the coaches he’d rather not play the last game.

Flowers was a terrible pick too. Flowers. Apple. Etc. These weren’t picks in the low teens or 20’s, they were freaking Top 10 picks that we all screamed at when they happened.

Engram was a good pick and while Ramzyck would have been the better choice, it’s a done deal a d Engram is our Ertz. A matchup nightmare.

While Reese’s drafts have improved the past fre years he bombed on a lot of 2’s and 3’s. Marvin Austin. Clint Sintim. Jerrell Jernigan. Odighizuwa. Damontre Moore. Why did he was picks on Nassib and Webb. Webb looks to have some talent but hell, we didn’t even interview him and Reese didn’t to his games. When you miss on your 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders, then it’ll set you back years. Then on the picks he did hit on, he didn’t resign-Joseph is a stud in Minnesota. Hankins was a dumb let go too.

In a recent report it was states Reese distanced himself from the very skill that got him the GM job: scouting. Of course he’s the GM, and can’t scout like he did when it was his job, but if you’re not going to games to view players, talk to them, etc and only relying on your scouts and reports then you’re basically picking blind.

Alsoo, it wasn’t Reese’s picks that were the only problem. He out too much stock on physical traits and athletcism over football players. He dodged responsibility. He was arrogant. He deflected. He ignored the Oline and linebacker positions. He enabled a culture where the players were coddled and started to act out. McAdoo did the same. Think the DRC, Jack Rabbit, Apple, Flowers and Hart drama wouldve happened with TC? If it did, they’d have been suspended or released longer.

Also Reese has been at this since 2006. Reese has been the GM for 12 years! Gettleman should have been promoted but Reese was. Gettleman has a smaller body of work and he clearly learned a lot in his Carolina stint. So actually it’s better we’re getting this Gettleman now who has previous experience. Since he’s taken over he’s been owning it and not deflecting like Reese. He cut Hart. He called out the bad Oline. With Shurmur, who has charisma unlike McAdoo, and Gettleman we are seemingly in a much better position and have a bright future. Of course they have to produce, but I haven’t been this optimistic in years.

We’ve clamored for change for years. Unfortunately it wasn’t TC’s fault. Maybe a little but injuries and poor drafting did him in. But TC is gone. Also, did anyone really want McDaniels or Patricia? Bellichick acoloytes haven’t fares well. Look at some of the Head Coaches constantly overlooked and were 2nd or 3rd choices. Mike Zimmer was always a bridemaid, so to speak. Same with Doug Pederson. Both were long time assistant or high school coaches who looked to be lifetime assitants and not Head Coaches. Both have excelled. I think Shurmur is the same type of coach. He’s not robotic or generic like McAdoo. Shurmur has charisma and personality. McAdoo couldnt even smile
                  or laugh at a presser. It is known Shurmur’s players love playing for him. Shurmur’s always gotten the most out of the player’s he’s coached.

Gettleman learned a lot in his precious stints especially in Carolina and he’s bringing a lot to the table. You can already sense a fresh approach here instead of the same old Reese. Again, it’s mind boggling Reese kept his job this long and without scouting himself much. How did he make his picks?!?!?! Both Shurmur and Gettleman had previous stints and learninf experiences which have prepared them. I expect a tough Giants team that plays with heart and grit that enjoys playong for Shurmur rather than having our GM deflect and a Head Coach who couldnt laugh and threw his players under the bus.

McCloughlan was a name I thiught we shiuld have considered for our GM position but Cleveland suprisingly smartly hired him quickly.

IrishMike I was a big Reese supporter. But in 2007, when Reese took over, it was still mainly an Accorsi roster. By 2011, it was Reese’s except for a few EA picks like Eli. However, 2008ish-2013 Reese’s drafts were bad and those failed drafts reared the ugliness of the 2012-2017 seasons except when Reese overspent on Defensive free agents. Reese’s drafts improved snd I gave him credit where credit was due: Beckham, Collins, Pugh (who turned out better than the higher picked and rated Olinemen of 2013), etc. However, Reese was arrogant, deflected blame and enabled a culture of entitled babies and an undisciplined team. It became known Reese distanced himself from his main skill-Scouting-the very forte that got him the job. So he relied only on scouts and reportS and rarely went to see players or interview them himself. Yeah, he’s the boss but the picks start and end with him. He’s responsible for them and his hands off approach burned him. So hanks Reese for the good picks, but good riddance to this mess you left. I don’t like people losing their jobs but Reese wasn’t performing and probably kept it a lot longer than he should have. Period.

Comment

Browns' Scot McCloughan still has Baker Mayfield as his top QB 'hands down' and Kirk Cousins not 'special'.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Three months later, Scot McCloughan's love for Baker Mayfield hasn't waned.

The Browns' new draft consultant, who's participating in draft meetings all week at the Browns' facility in Berea, still has Mayfield at the head of the 2018 QB class -- even with his Heisman Trophy-winning season well in the rearview mirror, according to a radio interview in Denver on Jan. 18. In the same interview, the former Redskins GM revealed that he doesn't see Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins, the headliner in free agency, as special.

With McCloughan now on the Browns' staff, it's not likely that the public will get an another open assessment of veteran and incoming rookie QBs from him as the team considers its options and rumors build. So his openness before the Super Bowl is a window into his thoughts.

On the Cecil & Pritchard show on 104.3 The Fan, McCloughan reiterated that he'd take Mayfield over a field that includes Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen. He also repeated that Mayfield reminds him of Brett Favre, with whom he spent six years in Green Bay. Read more.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...an_doesnt.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Well if that’s true then I would imagine they would target him with pick #4. Mayfield is not a Giants QB so they don’t have to fear the Giants stealing him. Also unlikely anyone is trading up for Mayfield.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Cleveland go Barkley/Nelson at #1 and Mayfield at #4 or the reverse of that.

I think the Giants want Darnold. Shurmur probably likes Rosen but I could see Gettleman and he rest of the brain trust not being on board with him. Giants want a QB with size, strength and a big arm. Two QBs fit the bill. Giants are not afraid of a project as hey have Eli to hold down the fort and let the kid learn behind.

Giants are really in the drivers seat his draft. Best QB situation on all levels

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
                        Well if that’s true then I would imagine they would target him with pick #4. Mayfield is not a Giants QB so they don’t have to fear the Giants stealing him. Also unlikely anyone is trading up for Mayfield.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Cleveland go Barkley/Nelson at #1 and Mayfield at #4 or the reverse of that.

I think the Giants want Darnold. Shurmur probably likes Rosen but I could see Gettleman and he rest of the brain trust not being on board with him. Giants want a QB with size, strength and a big arm. Two QBs fit the bill. Giants are not afraid of a project as hey have Eli to hold down the fI'mort and let the kid learn behind.

Giants are really in the drivers seat his draft. Best QB situation on all levels
                        I'm not so sure about that. After skipping on Wentz and Watson the last two years, they may not be willing to pass on the QB they want with #1. Since they can negotiate pre-draft, we may know well in advance who the like.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

I'm not so sure about that. After skipping on Wentz and Watson the last two years, they may not be willing to pass on the QB they want with #1. Since they can negotiate pre-draft, we may know well in advance who the like.
                          Depends if/how bad they want Barkley. If they really want him might have to take him at 1 and then get Mayfield at 4. If they like Nelson, they can take Mayfield 1 and prob grab Nelson at 4. Whatever they do Giants should be ok. Only thing is if he Giants and Cleveland love the same QB the Giants are going to lose out.

Comment

He's a drunk. He ruined 3 previous employment ventures because of it. The odds are against him on this one. Being sober for a few months proves nothing. He has the potential to be a good GM and could possibly turn the browns around helping with the draft. I am not optimistic with his track record. All of my friends I grew up that have had Alcohol problems. most , all most all of them can't stay sober for long. It is in their nature to be self-destructive.
                            Last edited by TEM; 02-10-2018, 09:42 AM.
                            There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

McAdoo's fingerprints were all over the Engram pick one good move he made for his west coast offense. He did not want big strong OL or power RB's. He had no flexability to do anything but his quick slant offense.

Comment

"Probably" doesn't cut it if he's your guy ... if he's your guy, you take him at 1.
                                If the Browns wanted him, but thought they could get him at 4, we could leverage that and trade with Jets, Bulls or Broncos if they wanted Mayfield. Mayfied will shoot up the boards more after combine and interviews I bet. Plus if we don’t take Darnold or Barkley, I’d wsnt us to take Mayfied second to Darnold and even before Barkley. He is just the type of vocal and intense competitor we need to lead this team.

Comment

Working...
                                X