Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker Mayfield talks NYC love, and why heís top QB in NFL draft

https://nypost.com/2018/02/15/baker-...-in-nfl-draft/

Excerpt: "Heisman-winning Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, a projected early first-round pick in Aprilís NFL draft, takes a timeout for some Q&A with Post columnist Steve Serby.

Q: Tell me why Baker Mayfield and New York City would be a perfect marriage.
    A: (Laughs) I think I thrive under the spotlight, I live for a big moment. Honestly, it doesnít get much bigger than being in New York. Itís a big stage, itís a lot of criticism and a lot of expectations, but I love having high expectations. Iím the type of guy, I rise to the occasion, so setting the bar high for me has always been the fundamental thing, setting my expectations at the highest point and so I think it goes hand-in-hand with being in New York.

Q: Well how does Broadway Baker sound?
    A: Broadway Baker (chuckles). I donít think Iíll ever be on Broadway. But if it means Iím in New York, I think Iíll be happy.

Q: How did your meeting with the Jets at the Senior Bowl go?
    A: I think it went well. Iím just gonna be myself. What you see is what you get out of me, and Iíve always prided myself on that. Iím not gonna act one way and then youíre gonna hear something else about me. Youíre gonna know exactly to expect at all times, so think it went well with the Jets.

Q: Letís pretend Iím an NFL general manager. Tell me why I should draft you.
    A: You should draft me because Iím a winner. I make my teammates play harder. I set the bar high, and Iíll do anything, whatever it takes to win. I care more about this game than most people ever will. When you mix a lot of those things with a winning mentality, itís a good thing to have as a franchise quarterback.? Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Q: Well how does Broadway Baker sound?
    A: Broadway Baker (chuckles). I donít think Iíll ever be on Broadway. But if it means Iím in New York, I think Iíll be happy.
    I got a feeling he didnt quite understand that... lol

http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I got a feeling he didnt quite understand that... lol
      Heíís too young to understand it.
      Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

Heíís too young to understand it.
        They all are now a days. I mean, I wasnt around during that time either but I certainly know about Broadway Joe.
        http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Mayfield probably winds up 5 or 6 Den. or Jets. As far as I know he's rated no higher than the #3 QB at this time. The combine is going to be a show for these QB's. I never remember so many QB's rated 1st rd talent. That year that Marino, Kelly, Elway and the other 2 came out in the first rd. is the only time I remember that so many QB's came out in the 1st rd. Modern day football ground breaking if you will.

Comment

I wish he was 6'3....I'd be ALL IN on drafting him.., I just love his intangibles.
            Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
              Mayfield probably winds up 5 or 6 Den. or Jets. As far as I know he's rated no higher than the #3 QB at this time. The combine is going to be a show for these QB's. I never remember so many QB's rated 1st rd talent. That year that Marino, Kelly, Elway and the other 2 came out in the first rd. is the only time I remember that so many QB's came out in the 1st rd. Modern day football ground breaking if you will.
              Todd Blackledge (sp?) and Kenny O'Brian. All picked before Marino...

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                I wish he was 6'3....I'd be ALL IN on drafting him.., I just love his intangibles.
                I agree. There is something about him that I think will make him a good pro. I would not be upset if we take him. Personally, I'm not worried about the arrest nor the incidents at OSU nor Kansas. Whole lotta nothing to me. Love his accuracy, and tenacity, and for a short QB, he is pretty stocky, and i think will stand up to the abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

Todd Blackledge (sp?) and Kenny O'Brian. All picked before Marino...
                  Thank you just couldn't remember. I did like that Blackledge I remember. of course the 3 HOF QB's everybody liked. I personally liked Marino cause my father went to the U. of Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

I agree. There is something about him that I think will make him a good pro. I would not be upset if we take him. Personally, I'm not worried about the arrest nor the incidents at OSU nor Kansas. Whole lotta nothing to me. Love his accuracy, and tenacity, and for a short QB, he is pretty stocky, and i think will stand up to the abuse.
                    I want Darnold, Mayfield or Allen in that order, and a very large part of me wants Mayfield first often times. The teams that pass on him will regret it. At least that is a nagging feeling that I keep coming back to.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

They all are now a days. I mean, I wasnt around during that time either but I certainly know about Broadway Joe.
                      I had the opportunity when I was a kid back in the early '80s to sit down with Joe Namath a few times for either dinner, or a get together.

All he wanted to talk to my brother and I was about how school was going for us, and how we liked playing football. He had zero interest in talking about himself, he was so awesome to us that I will never forget it. He is honestly one of the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

I want Darnold, Mayfield or Allen in that order, and a very large part of me wants Mayfield first often times. The teams that pass on him will regret it. At least that is a nagging feeling that I keep coming back to.
                        when it is all said and done mayfield will be the best qb in this draft. Forget he is 6"1, how tall is brees? He has an uncanny ability to win games, making big play after big play, often on the run, with pinpoint accuracy. No other qb in this draft works that td magic like mayfield does. People fall in love with the tangibles and never consider the intangibles. Teams will indeed regret it, this kid has the shine.

Comment

Mayfield was a fun QB to watch in college but will not be a great pro. None of these big 12 guys ever are.

In any event there is zero chance the Giants draft him, so it's all moot anyway. Zero chance Mara, Gettleman, and a serious guy like Shurmur go for a QB with his personality type. He is the antithesis of Giants culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                            If he was 6'3 id be leading the Baker Bandwagon, my God he would be an amazing prospect if he was 6'3

Right now, i want Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson, or keep what we have with Eli and Webb. Rudolph doesnt wow me, i dont trust Allen (he reminds me of Blake Bortles) and im totally scared off by Rosens injuries
                            Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                              Mayfield was a fun QB to watch in college but will not be a great pro. None of these big 12 guys ever are.

In any event there is zero chance the Giants draft him, so it's all moot anyway. Zero chance Mara, Gettleman, and a serious guy like Shurmur go for a QB with his personality type. He is the antithesis of Giants culture.
                              Troy Aikman had a pretty good career.

Comment

Working...
                              X