The Giants will take a QB at #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Giants will take a QB at #2

last night i was literally staring at my ceiling at 2am with an ol' fashioned bout of insomnia and going over this #2 draft pick in my head (like a loser).

and i can no longer think of a situation where Mara would let them pick anything other than a QB at #2.

and not because they need one (they do).

the following is clearly just personal opinion/opining:

Mara was hell-fire furious at what happened with Eli. There's no way he's 'good' now. I don't think an owner like that would just limit his fury to the coach and GM. In the mind of an executive, Eli messed this up more than the head honcho did.

Precisely because there's so may realistic QBs that could go 1-2, i think Mara hires Gettleman, tells him Eli stays on this year, and tells him that there's certainly one future elite franchise QB somewhere in that top 4, and certainly another one that is at least as good as a Smith/Cutler/healthy Bradford; a reasonable level of QB that the Giants could win with. I think he tells DG to figure out who those two are, and makes it clear he expects one of the two on the roster next year.

I don't think Mara leaves the largest draft/FA decision in his career solely to his 4 month old GM. Mara's no longer sitting quietly on the sidelines dumping owner pablum onto a mic twice a year

Right or wrong, Mara is more involved in this team that he visibly ever has been since he took this role. And the fastest way of truly turning the page on that episode is drafting a QB, and making someone's job dependent on getting that right.

i no longer see how this goes some other way. There's 6 other reasons why but this post is too long already.
    sigpic

Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    last night i was literally staring at my ceiling at 2am with an ol' fashioned bout of insomnia and going over this #2 draft pick in my head (like a loser).

and i can no longer think of a situation where Mara would let them pick anything other than a QB at #2.

and not because they need one (they do).

the following is clearly just personal opinion/opining:

Mara was hell-fire furious at what happened with Eli. There's no way he's 'good' now. I don't think an owner like that would just limit his fury to the coach and GM. In the mind of an executive, Eli messed this up more than the head honcho did.

Precisely because there's so may realistic QBs that could go 1-2, i think Mara hires Gettleman, tells him Eli stays on this year, and tells him that there's certainly one future elite franchise QB somewhere in that top 4, and certainly another one that is at least as good as a Smith/Cutler/healthy Bradford; a reasonable level of QB that the Giants could win with. I think he tells DG to figure out who those two are, and makes it clear he expects one of the two on the roster next year.

I don't think Mara leaves the largest draft/FA decision in his career solely to his 4 month old GM. Mara's no longer sitting quietly on the sidelines dumping owner pablum onto a mic twice a year

Right or wrong, Mara is more involved in this team that he visibly ever has been since he took this role. And the fastest way of truly turning the page on that episode is drafting a QB, and making someone's job dependent on getting that right.

i no longer see how this goes some other way. There's 6 other reasons why but this post is too long already.
    interesting. I can see this logic.

But on the other side, will Mara be sentimental and try and go for one more run with Eli? I think either is possible. Very hard to say

Comment

I truly believe this years QB class is mostly hype. Im guessing the closer we get to the draft, the more the hype will fade.

I love your narrative though...very entertaining.

Comment

Let me give you another story. Mara is so pissed that every team keeps on jumping us in the NFL draft to take the players we are interested in, so he hired a head coach who is known to be a QB whisperer to make everyone think he's selecting a QB. It will cause other teams to panic because they will think the Giants are interested in the same player they want.

The Giants then listen to offers on draft day and tell the Broncos: "We are really interested in Baker Mayfield, we hear you want him. How much would you be willing to give up to get him (but we really don't want him, that's the trick! Poker players here). They over pay give us a first round selection in 2019 and a 3rd round pick to move to pick 5 to get the person we wanted/needed all along... Quenton Nelson.

***scene fades to black, actors bow for the grand performance**

Comment

I was lost with the first line . You are actually loosing Sleep over who they are going to pick?
          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

I don't think it is nearly as complex as any of this.

This is a QB-rich draft year. Much moreso than last year's, and likely moreso than next year's. Our QB is 37 and is showing clear signs of decline. He has a max of two years left.

QB is the most important position, and the top five QBs in this draft will be gone before it comes back to us in the 2nd round. Maybe even six QBs will be gone depending on how Rudolph looks in the combine and how he interviews.

The idea of passing on an opportunity to get a potential franchise QB with our current guy wearing down at age 37 is preposterous. It is not going to happen. We are 100% drafting a QB at 2nd overall. I'd bet good money on it. Eli has already been answering a lot of questions about how he will approach his relationship with the next QB. Everyone knows they're not talking about Davis Webb when he answers these types of questions.

Barkley will be gone anyway, and trading down is highly unlikely. They're taking Rosen or Darnold with that pick. Simple as that. Whether we like it or not, that is what will happen. You can take that to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

This is a QB-rich draft year. Much moreso than last year's, and likely moreso than next year's. Our QB is 37 and is showing clear signs of decline. He has a max of two years left.

QB is the most important position, and the top five QBs in this draft will be gone before it comes back to us in the 2nd round. Maybe even six QBs will be gone depending on how Rudolph looks in the combine and how he interviews.

The idea of passing on an opportunity to get a potential franchise QB with our current guy wearing down at age 37 is preposterous. It is not going to happen. We are 100% drafting a QB at 2nd overall. I'd bet good money on it. Eli has already been answering a lot of questions about how he will approach his relationship with the next QB. Everyone knows they're not talking about Davis Webb when he answers these types of questions.

Barkley will be gone anyway, and trading down is highly unlikely. They're taking Rosen or Darnold with that pick. Simple as that. Whether we like it or not, that is what will happen. You can take that to the bank.
              Eli may be aging and not the QB he once was, but once the Giants decided to keep him for at least 2 more years, he will start every game unless Injured. I agree that this group of QB's in the draft are mostly hype. Barkley makes the most sense. Keeping Eli for 2 more years means we are in a win now situation. Barkley will turn this lifeless offense around instantly and save Eli from getting killed at the same time. Drafting a QB that will sit for at least 2 more years doesn't help us win now! I would rather have seen Eli move on and we could have started the rebuild now. That's not happening.
              Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Ill take YOU to the bank Senator Trent.....

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

While Qb would be understandable, we could go in a number of ways. Theres nothing that says we HAVE to pick a qb at 2 or even pick at 2, we could always trade down for picks, which many including myself would think thats a great idea.

I get it, a new QB would be nice to have for when Eli hangs em up, but Eli is gonna be playing next year and maybe the year after that. We have no idea what we have in Webb, he could be Ryan Leaf or he could be Peyton Manning, we have no clue either way. If we NEED to draft a qb, what about Lamar Jackson in the 2nd?? He could be a blessing after a year or 2 under Shurmur who is apparently some sort of qb whisperer, LOL

Honestly as long as we dont pick Rosen, a WR, or TE, id be happy with whatever we do in the 1st
                  Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

None of the Qbs are worth the #2 pick.

Picking a Qb means whoever is picked will be sitting for a year or 2 before starting. I think it would be a waste of a pick especially when we have so many other needs.

Comment

What we do at 2 depends on what the browns do at 1. If the Browns pass on Barkley at 1 then I think we take him. I believe the Browns will take Rosen at 1 and thatís the qb the Giants want.

Comment

Originally posted by PA-NYG View Post
                        None of the Qbs are worth the #2 pick.

Picking a Qb means whoever is picked will be sitting for a year or 2 before starting. I think it would be a waste of a pick especially when we have so many other needs.
                        If we take a QB at #2...he most certainly will NOT be waiting two years to play.
                        Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post
                          What we do at 2 depends on what the browns do at 1. If the Browns pass on Barkley at 1 then I think we take him. I believe the Browns will take Rosen at 1 and thatís the qb the Giants want.
                          I actually think the Browns take Darnold and I think he is the one we want lol. I just think the injuries to Rosen would scare away the Giants. I just don't see us going from the 2nd most durable player ever to a dude that is a major injury risk.

OP. The only way we don't go QB is if they don't see one they like. With 4-6 highly touted QBs in the class I find it hard to believe they won't like one. Will that one be there is the question.
                          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Browns are taking Barkley before a QB? Itís not like I want him anyways but pls enlighten me how heís not there daring us to pick him at #2?

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

If we take a QB at #2...he most certainly will NOT be waiting two years to play.
                              Haha! Are u certain with this FO caving to fan pressure like jellyfish. I see Eli playing for the next two yrs with this egghead owner. Theyíll have Rosen sitting with the clipboard and Webb bringing Eli Gatorade. Nah, just joshin ya, but I wouldnít jinx it

Comment

Working...
                              X