Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Orlando Brown any good?

We need OT........Flowers needs to be just flat out cut/releas

The more I look at Orlando Brown, he just seems more RT than LT.

Comment

Some posters, and some scouts could simply suggest listening to the WHO and "Won't get fooled Again, and the meet the new boss, same as the old verse, in regards to Brown for Flowers. Watching their technique, I'm in agreement. The question is, will Brown be able to fix his flaws, and be coached up as we were expecting with Flowers? The footwork is brutal on Brown, plays too high and misses any second level block. Tape is out there, and he looks a clone of Flowers but larger, and while Flowers has shown "slight" improvement, his not willing to play the last game sort of placed him as the cherry on the top for any possible deals we might make. Apple and Flowers, stuck with, unless a trade sets us free, or in their case, them free.

Nelson will be the alpha on the line, and his area and help the run and pass ASAP....any other guards/tackles in the middle rounds will be "bodies" and at best, not create havoc on our line of scrimmage.
      Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed, strength, surprise, and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy.

Comment

None of the tackles really wow me. Brown is the best of the bunch IMO. Id rate them Brown, Williams, McGlinchey, then Crosby. Heres what nfl.com says

"STRENGTHS Massive frame combined with outstanding arm length make him a challenge to get around. Able to seal down blocks with his huge frame alone. Nasty finisher who is looking to intimidate and overwhelm the man across from him. Has pure power to get defenders turned out of the hole when his footwork is right. Linebackers looking to take on his second level blocks can be engulfed. Hands are heavy in pass protection and in run game. Kick-slides gain impressive ground in setting out to edge rushers. Consistent with punch timing. Can completely derail a pass rusher's game plan with early jabs into his frame. Uses maximum arm extension most of the time. Will not be bull rushed. Good recovery blocker thanks to length and strength. Doesn't always look pretty, but can ride rushers past the pocket. Keeps his feet moving and alive in pass protection. Comes from NFL bloodline.WEAKNESSES

Has leverage issues due to high center of gravity. Not a natural knee bender. Down blocks land way too high and carry very little drive on them due to lack of bend. Overshoots targets on second level and roller skate by. May need to play with more vertical sets to help him keep NFL edge benders from turning his corner. Needs to shoot his punch with more quickness and less wasted motion. Will open and lunge at times when rushers start to make their turns along the rush arc. Fails to clamp into defender's frame and sustain blocks through hand strength. Willingness to maul could lead to spike in holding penalties. Limited area of effectiveness as run blocker. Slow lateral movement off the snap.DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1SOURCES TELL US

"He's really big and he's really long. In the NFL, big guys with long arms can play a long time so you don't have to be the most skilled or the most athletic. He would make me nervous to put out there at left tackle without any help." - Former NFL offensive line coachNFL COMPARISON

Max StarksBOTTOM LINE

Tackle with rare size and length whose massive frame can work for him in pass protection and against him in the run game. Brown will be tough for some evaluators to back because his footwork isn't always pretty and his athletic ability is below average, but he typically gets guys blocked and he clearly understands how to use his size and length to his advantage. Brown's physical traits and nasty demeanor give him a chance to become a good starting tackle on either left or right side.-Lance Zierlein"
        Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post
          None of the tackles really wow me. Brown is the best of the bunch IMO. Id rate them Brown, Williams, McGlinchey, then Crosby. Heres what nfl.com says
          Nice report....I'm sure we will pass on him with 34 thinking Flowers, and thus have him become the next Orlando Pace. haha!

BTW, watch some tape of Williams in 2016....that has some wow to it. Not sure what happened with the tape this year, but he did have a knee injury. Now he's projected to possibly become...yes, a guard.

Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed, strength, surprise, and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy.

Comment

I guess that depends on your def of good. He's decent but not perfect. Plays too upright for me. He's one of those guys that would need some coaching. I would say he's slightly better than flowers but not good enough for major improvement

Comment

Most mocks I have seen recently (and believe me I realize these things are not that reliable) have him going in the first round.

I think free agency is going to be very important for us for O line. I am fully of the view that we are taking a QB in the first round, and I think it will then be very hard to pass up on some of the RB talent that is going to be available in the 2nd round. There is a big RB dropoff after the second round, whereas the slope down for linemen will be smoother. I think there will still be a good crop of players to pick from in the third round for O line, and if we get a Norwell or Solder (or both somehow), we won't need to worry quite as much about reaching for a lineman in rounds one or two.

Comment

http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...59#post3081559

So according to his draft grade, he is expected to be slightly better than cam robinson, almost as good, but not quite as good as ryan ramcyck. both of those guys started as rookies and were very good.

BUT

greg Robinson was graded a 7.4!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...bs:dt-by-grade

AND

ereck flowers was graded 6.1!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/tracke...bs:dt-by-grade

YIKES! LOL

so who knows really. it is all a bit of a crapshoot really especially at OT for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris View Post

Nice report....I'm sure we will pass on him with 34 thinking Flowers, and thus have him become the next Orlando Pace. haha!

BTW, watch some tape of Williams in 2016....that has some wow to it. Not sure what happened with the tape this year, but he did have a knee injury. Now he's projected to possibly become...yes, a guard.
                  Williams, refused surgery and still missed most of the season. He doesn't have the weight or power for guard. He can be a slight tweek on his knee to miss a season. The medical report from the combine, will determine his draft status.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris View Post

I feel like i like Brown because im supposed to. His tape is OK, not the worst and not the best, honestly i LOVED watching Tyrell Crosbys tape. Dude didnt allow a pressure, hurry, or sack all year playing LT, and his run blocking was like watching art work...... His footwork however looked like how an engine with no oil sounds, CLUNKY, LOL. He may be a better RT, but i feel like his attitude on the field was "must kill opponent" which is something it feels like we havent had in ages
                    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

I like to watch tape of guys playing against NFL caliber talent. This is Brown vs. Nick Bosa.

My personal take on the guy. He's a good tackle and very active on blocks. He will try and block a couple of guys and he does well against stunts and blitzes. He seems to always know his assignments.

The lateral quickness and lack of bend is a concern, but coachable. He has great size, but he is not very mobile at the second level. He looks terrible on rollouts and if he played guard, he would not be able to pull well.

Someone above stated that he is more of a RT. I think he is a day 1 starter at RT, but he would nee work at LT.

I'd give him a 2nd rd grade
                      Long Live the King

Comment

He is a Mauler but not a Left Tackle!

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post

Williams, refused surgery and still missed most of the season. He doesn't have the weight or power for guard. He can be a slight tweek on his knee to miss a season. The medical report from the combine, will determine his draft status.
                          Thanks for the update, and why I love this board....I thought I remember him getting scoped for a MCL. Not sure why he refused surgery for a MCL...I had the same surgery in high school, way back when they used whiskey to put you under. I do remember the surgeon being pissed I avoided doing the exercises and my leg muscle shrinking an inch....that injury caused me to become a work out junkie, and realize an inch does make a difference.

Yeah, not sure why I was reading guard...maybe the short arms?

You know why his tape went so bad from 2016 to last year?

Comment

Working...
                          X