Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple choice.......Long Term vs. Short Term......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple choice.......Long Term vs. Short Term......

Ultimately that is what it comes down to with the 2nd pick. The short term is served with trading down or picking Saquan Barkley at #2. Keep Eli who they think can still function and go out and try to win 9 games in 2018. Maybe even 9 or 10 more in 2019. Then fall off a cliff and go into QB hell after that.
    Taking a RB, with the short career expectancy that comes with that seems foolish at #2.....and I don't trust the new braintrust at this point. No one should since trust has to be earned.

The other option is to bite the bullet and pick Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield or Darnold (if available) and take a possible short time hit to have a possible franchise QB for the next 10 years.
    Of course there are no guarantees either way. But to me that's how it shakes out.

I just think the ceiling for this team is very high if we pick a QB. Obviously, with the caveat that they think a guy available can be that next franchise QB. If they do and don't pick the QB I think they would be making a huge mistake. That's what the Browns keep doing.

Maybe we would get lucky in 2018 or 19 and a Cousins-type QB can be had in free agency but that is a greater long shot than drafting a guy at #2.

So I say go for the long term and pick the guy they think will be our next leader for 10+ years.
    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

So I say go for the long term and pick the guy they think will be our next leader for 10+ years.
    I agree with you in principle. But, what if the front office does not think any of the QBs at the top of the draft are that guy? It is a legit possibility as each candidate has a serious drawback. Few prospects are perfect, but these are some serious drawbacks for guys being considered as top 5 prospects.

If the front office thinks these drawbacks are in fact disqualifying, do you suggest a guy like Nelson simply because he would be a "long term" solution? Or perhaps a guy like Nick Chubb?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post

I agree with you in principle. But, what if the front office does not think any of the QBs at the top of the draft are that guy? It is a legit possibility as each candidate has a serious drawback. Few prospects are perfect, but these are some serious drawbacks for guys being considered as top 5 prospects.

If the front office thinks these drawbacks are in fact disqualifying, do you suggest a guy like Nelson simply because he would be a "long term" solution? Or perhaps a guy like Nick Chubb?

Well as I clearly said the caveat is that they think one of these guys can be what they want. Personally I believe that all three will be solid NFL starters. not sure about Allen. He's more 50/50 to me.

Comment

I think they'll have both. My guess is they'll trade back get o line and get Jackson in the 2nd rd. He's gonna drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
          I think they'll have both. My guess is they'll trade back get o line and get Jackson in the 2nd rd. He's gonna drop.
          That's a very "Cleveland Browns" thing to do. If you like a guy at QB...you do everything to get him.

Comment

That's a very "Cleveland Browns" thing to do. If you like a guy at QB...you do everything to get him.

That's the thing I don't think any of them are worth #2

Comment

That's the thing I don't think any of them are worth #2
              I'm glad you're not our GM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

I'm glad you're not our GM.
                Rosen- Brittle and not a team player
                Darnold - Turnover prone
                Allen - Dear in headlights when the big light are on. Dude looked sacred at the Senior Bowl and games when the opponent was a big collegiate program; he'd fold in NY
                Mayfield - arrogance loses you games. He'd be bad in NY as well....unless its w the Jets.

If you want to take one of these kids, that's your propagative but like you said, "Glad you're not GM"

Comment

Or how about this: (this is something that literally no one is talking about). The Giants would be the first team in NFL history to draft a QB 2nd overall and have him benched for 2 years. It is so idiotic to do that. That's why I'm thinking the Giants don't draft a QB 2nd overall. Why draft a player and have him sit for so long, eating cap space, not playing, and ultimately might be a bust when he finally does play? No GM with a brain would do that.

That's why I think the chances the Giants trade back this year to collect picks is very possible. Perhaps that scenario with the Bills is a possibility if they can acquire a future 1st round selection. Two first round selections this year and at least a 1st round selection next year (or perhaps they can hammer out a deal to have the 1st round selection in 2020? Is that possible? That's the year that Eli's contract ends.). The trade back makes so much sense because it enables us to build a team now to win AND gives the Giants the chance to have draft ammo next year to draft a QB.

Eli's contact is two more years and there's just no way that the Giants organization either
                  1) Trades him
                  2) Cuts him

You don't do that to your franchise QB who won you multiple Super Bowls. You let him retire on your team like a Derek Jeter.

Comment

Ultimately that is what it comes down to with the 2nd pick. The short term is served with trading down or picking Saquan Barkley at #2. Keep Eli who they think can still function and go out and try to win 9 games in 2018. Maybe even 9 or 10 more in 2019. Then fall off a cliff and go into QB hell after that.
                    Taking a RB, with the short career expectancy that comes with that seems foolish at #2.....and I don't trust the new braintrust at this point. No one should since trust has to be earned.

The other option is to bite the bullet and pick Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield or Darnold (if available) and take a possible short time hit to have a possible franchise QB for the next 10 years.
                    Of course there are no guarantees either way. But to me that's how it shakes out.

I just think the ceiling for this team is very high if we pick a QB. Obviously, with the caveat that they think a guy available can be that next franchise QB. If they do and don't pick the QB I think they would be making a huge mistake. That's what the Browns keep doing.

Maybe we would get lucky in 2018 or 19 and a Cousins-type QB can be had in free agency but that is a greater long shot than drafting a guy at #2.

I hate Rosen and Mayfield ....the only QB I could accept at 2 is Sam Darnold

Comment

Darnold - Turnover prone
                      Allen - Dear in headlights when the big light are on. Dude looked sacred at the Senior Bowl and games when the opponent was a big collegiate program; he'd fold in NY
                      Mayfield - arrogance loses you games. He'd be bad in NY as well....unless its w the Jets.

If you want to take one of these kids, that's your propagative but like you said, "Glad you're not GM"
                      Rosen....Pure passer...reminds me of Drew Bledsoe...only more polished
                      Darnold.....Mobile. playmaker. pro style offense
                      Mayfield....I think the best of the three. Natural leader...natural passer. very accurate and I HOPE..very arrogant. Just like Phil was. (New York LOVES guys like that). Reminds me of Drew Brees.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                        Or how about this: (this is something that literally no one is talking about). The Giants would be the first team in NFL history to draft a QB 2nd overall and have him benched for 2 years. It is so idiotic to do that. That's why I'm thinking the Giants don't draft a QB 2nd overall. Why draft a player and have him sit for so long, eating cap space, not playing, and ultimately might be a bust when he finally does play? No GM with a brain would do that.

That's why I think the chances the Giants trade back this year to collect picks is very possible. Perhaps that scenario with the Bills is a possibility if they can acquire a future 1st round selection. Two first round selections this year and at least a 1st round selection next year (or perhaps they can hammer out a deal to have the 1st round selection in 2020? Is that possible? That's the year that Eli's contract ends.). The trade back makes so much sense because it enables us to build a team now to win AND gives the Giants the chance to have draft ammo next year to draft a QB.

Eli's contact is two more years and there's just no way that the Giants organization either
                        1) Trades him
                        2) Cuts him

You don't do that to your franchise QB who won you multiple Super Bowls. You let him retire on your team like a Derek Jeter.
                        yes I agree. Been saying that in another thread that trading back is the best play. Id on be cool w them taking one of these QBs if they traded back to like 6 knowing they got an extra 1st next year.

Comment

Darnold - Turnover prone

This is a "dear in headlights"? OK.

Comment

Rosen....Pure passer...reminds me of Drew Bledsoe...only more polished
                            Darnold.....Mobile. playmaker. pro style offense
                            Mayfield....I think the best of the three. Natural leader...natural passer. very accurate and I HOPE..very arrogant. Just like Phil was. (New York LOVES guys like that). Reminds me of Drew Brees.
                            Rosen - those concussions and injuries is a problem in my book on top of the lack of people skills.
                            Darnold - Those USC QBs do nothing for me on top of a what I described before
                            Mayfield - Accurate, yes but his arrogance is beyond Phil's. Arrogance is one thing but down right idiotic arrogance is another.

I'm half glass empty on these QBs, you're half glass full. That's cool but I hope the FO aligns w my views

Comment

Well as I clearly said the caveat is that they think one of these guys can be what they want. Personally I believe that all three will be solid NFL starters. not sure about Allen. He's more 50/50 to me.
                              So you're telling us there are 3-4 ten year starting QBs in this draft? This QB class is better than '04 and the draft that produced Marino and Elway?

Comment

Working...
                              X