Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I think most are wrong about the Browns plans....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why I think most are wrong about the Browns plans....

    Over the last 24 hours the Browns have made several splash trades that have sent the NFL off season spiraling. Since they pick right before us we have seen a dramatic increase in threads claiming the Browns will certainly take Barkley #1 now. It's a done deal. I disagree.

    First off let's look at the QB market this off season.There is Kirk Cousins who is seen as the #1 guy out there and a long term solution for a team. It's been reported he wants to chase the dollar sign and go with the highest paying team. The Browns and the Jets have way more cap space than any other team that needs a QB. It would be a two horse race for Cousins. If the Browns were looking for their QB of the future they would at least try for Cousins. Other options include Foles and Case Keenum. Both are better long term solutions than Tyrod Taylor. They didn't make a trade for either of them though. They got Taylor.

    On these forums we have discussed trading our pick to Buffalo because clearly they need a QB of the future, but they had Tyrod Taylor. So if Taylor was not a long term solution in Buffalo why is he considered one in Cleveland? Simple...he is not one.

    I have said for a little while now I think Darnold will go #1. What is the big drawback of Darnold? He needs time to develop. Having Kizer as the QB for 2 years would not be good, they need a change. So they trade Kizer and trade for Taylor. He is good enough to start and win some (see more than zero or 1) games for the Browns while they allow Darnold the time needed to develop.

    Why don't they go Barkley #1 and then QB #4? There is a two part answer for that. 1) Because this plan does not make sense for any QB other than Darnold. 2) The Browns have gone to a very analytic approach to the draft. I have posted some numbers in the past that if you follow "the numbers" it makes more sense to gather more picks than use the earlier picks. What gives you the better chance for a starter drafting Nelson #4 or drafting Hernandez and Wynn #21 and #22? I don't like this approach, but the Browns have proven this is what they like. They play the odds.

    It makes perfect sense for them to use Taylor for 2 years, draft Darnold and allow him time to develop, trade the #4 pick to Buffalo for at least their 2 first round picks this year and probably a 1st next and some other goodies. Now that Buffalo has 1 QB on their roster they almost have to trade up for a QB, or risk missing out on their guy. Denver, the Jets and Miami all might take QBs, with Cleveland taking 1 as well. Can Buffalo sit back and hope their guy falls to them?
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

    "I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

  • #2
    I agree with this analysis, wasn't sure at first after trade for tyrod, but after trading away Kizer, QB #1 overall makes most sense .they are following blue print of succession up and comers lately like eagles and Rams, and just taking highly covered QB at top spot to build the franchise on .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
      Over the last 24 hours the Browns have made several splash trades that have sent the NFL off season spiraling. Since they pick right before us we have seen a dramatic increase in threads claiming the Browns will certainly take Barkley #1 now. It's a done deal. I disagree.

      First off let's look at the QB market this off season.There is Kirk Cousins who is seen as the #1 guy out there and a long term solution for a team. It's been reported he wants to chase the dollar sign and go with the highest paying team. The Browns and the Jets have way more cap space than any other team that needs a QB. It would be a two horse race for Cousins. If the Browns were looking for their QB of the future they would at least try for Cousins. Other options include Foles and Case Keenum. Both are better long term solutions than Tyrod Taylor. They didn't make a trade for either of them though. They got Taylor.

      On these forums we have discussed trading our pick to Buffalo because clearly they need a QB of the future, but they had Tyrod Taylor. So if Taylor was not a long term solution in Buffalo why is he considered one in Cleveland? Simple...he is not one.

      I have said for a little while now I think Darnold will go #1. What is the big drawback of Darnold? He needs time to develop. Having Kizer as the QB for 2 years would not be good, they need a change. So they trade Kizer and trade for Taylor. He is good enough to start and win some (see more than zero or 1) games for the Browns while they allow Darnold the time needed to develop.

      Why don't they go Barkley #1 and then QB #4? There is a two part answer for that. 1) Because this plan does not make sense for any QB other than Darnold. 2) The Browns have gone to a very analytic approach to the draft. I have posted some numbers in the past that if you follow "the numbers" it makes more sense to gather more picks than use the earlier picks. What gives you the better chance for a starter drafting Nelson #4 or drafting Hernandez and Wynn #21 and #22? I don't like this approach, but the Browns have proven this is what they like. They play the odds.

      It makes perfect sense for them to use Taylor for 2 years, draft Darnold and allow him time to develop, trade the #4 pick to Buffalo for at least their 2 first round picks this year and probably a 1st next and some other goodies. Now that Buffalo has 1 QB on their roster they almost have to trade up for a QB, or risk missing out on their guy. Denver, the Jets and Miami all might take QBs, with Cleveland taking 1 as well. Can Buffalo sit back and hope their guy falls to them?
      I read the situation the same though I'm so sure about Bills moving up to 4. A lot of people have mocked the Browns for a while but I think their strategy of trading back over multiple years could pay off this year. Their using their cap space/lower draft picks to fill some holes and will probably be able to carry over cap so they can keep the players that actually pan out over the next five years. Get even a decent QB and they could be set for good 5 to 6 year run. I'm actually shocked they aren't using some of their $110m in CAP on a QB but they may be taking an approach of building a great team with average to above average QB and don't want to tie up $30 on a QB like Cousins.

      Comment


      • #4
        It really doesn't change the Giants situation. They pick the two guys they like the best. When their pick comes they take one of those two guys, or trade down. It just depends on who's on the other end of the phone on draft day and what they offer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
          It really doesn't change the Giants situation. They pick the two guys they like the best. When their pick comes they take one of those two guys, or trade down. It just depends on who's on the other end of the phone on draft day and what they offer.
          Well this is the whole thing. And the 3 choices all could be very successful. Whichever 2 players you deem as can't miss that will help us the most. Or the trade back and see what we can get. Whatever Gettlemen thinks will help us the most.

          But I still think Cleveland takes Barkley at #1, I would. And 1 of the 4 top QB's are going to be there with the #4 pick. Are any of the QB's suppose to be head and shoulders over the others ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
            Over the last 24 hours the Browns have made several splash trades that have sent the NFL off season spiraling. Since they pick right before us we have seen a dramatic increase in threads claiming the Browns will certainly take Barkley #1 now. It's a done deal. I disagree.

            First off let's look at the QB market this off season.There is Kirk Cousins who is seen as the #1 guy out there and a long term solution for a team. It's been reported he wants to chase the dollar sign and go with the highest paying team. The Browns and the Jets have way more cap space than any other team that needs a QB. It would be a two horse race for Cousins. If the Browns were looking for their QB of the future they would at least try for Cousins. Other options include Foles and Case Keenum. Both are better long term solutions than Tyrod Taylor. They didn't make a trade for either of them though. They got Taylor.

            On these forums we have discussed trading our pick to Buffalo because clearly they need a QB of the future, but they had Tyrod Taylor. So if Taylor was not a long term solution in Buffalo why is he considered one in Cleveland? Simple...he is not one.

            I have said for a little while now I think Darnold will go #1. What is the big drawback of Darnold? He needs time to develop. Having Kizer as the QB for 2 years would not be good, they need a change. So they trade Kizer and trade for Taylor. He is good enough to start and win some (see more than zero or 1) games for the Browns while they allow Darnold the time needed to develop.

            Why don't they go Barkley #1 and then QB #4? There is a two part answer for that. 1) Because this plan does not make sense for any QB other than Darnold. 2) The Browns have gone to a very analytic approach to the draft. I have posted some numbers in the past that if you follow "the numbers" it makes more sense to gather more picks than use the earlier picks. What gives you the better chance for a starter drafting Nelson #4 or drafting Hernandez and Wynn #21 and #22? I don't like this approach, but the Browns have proven this is what they like. They play the odds.

            It makes perfect sense for them to use Taylor for 2 years, draft Darnold and allow him time to develop, trade the #4 pick to Buffalo for at least their 2 first round picks this year and probably a 1st next and some other goodies. Now that Buffalo has 1 QB on their roster they almost have to trade up for a QB, or risk missing out on their guy. Denver, the Jets and Miami all might take QBs, with Cleveland taking 1 as well. Can Buffalo sit back and hope their guy falls to them?
            With the packers acquiring Kizer from the Browns . This is making more sense. Well thought out Mike.
            "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

            Comment


            • #7
              Well thought out post but I agree with others if I 'm Cleveland I grab Barkley at #1
              - let the Giants grab one of at least a handful players and if Darnold is there at 4 -great -if not
              trade the pick as outlined prior or select the best player for the team - which at 4 a non qb
              would be a starter.

              Why the lock of Darnold - but does it really matter - won't Allen or Rosen need possible time
              behind Taylor.

              Comment


              • #8
                If Cleveland is truly enamours with Barkley I could see a trade with the Giants to secure them Barkley plus the QB they want. Iím quite sure the Browns are going QB and feel more so since they got Taylor

                Comment


                • #9
                  I appreciate your points Mike, but the first one "Because this plan does not make sense for any QB other than Darnold" is not correct. Why wouldn't it make sense for Allen or Mayfield?
                  Think what the Browns would put on the field if they drafted Barkley #1. Barkley at RB, Njoku at TE, Gordon, Landry, and Corey Coleman at WR. Do you think Tyrod Taylor had anywhere near that much talent in Buffalo?
                  So you take Allen or Mayfield at #4 and let them sit for a year while Taylor's contract expires and then make a decision.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wheels View Post
                    Well thought out post but I agree with others if I 'm Cleveland I grab Barkley at #1
                    - let the Giants grab one of at least a handful players and if Darnold is there at 4 -great -if not
                    trade the pick as outlined prior or select the best player for the team - which at 4 a non qb
                    would be a starter.

                    Why the lock of Darnold - but does it really matter - won't Allen or Rosen need possible time
                    behind Taylor.
                    Even if they consider Darnold and Allen equal they canít run the risk of the Giants selecting one and someone trading up to #3 and and grabbing the other. If the Browns have a QB in mind to draft they must select him #1 bottom line.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The browns could be taking mayfield, not darnold though.

                      http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...74#post3093674

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wheels View Post
                        Well thought out post but I agree with others if I 'm Cleveland I grab Barkley at #1
                        - let the Giants grab one of at least a handful players and if Darnold is there at 4 -great -if not
                        trade the pick as outlined prior or select the best player for the team - which at 4 a non qb
                        would be a starter.

                        Why the lock of Darnold - but does it really matter - won't Allen or Rosen need possible time
                        behind Taylor.
                        I agree with this.. Barkley goes 1.. I'm no pro scout, but I have all these QBs lumped together.. They all have their pros and cons.. I don't think there's a clear #1 (as of now)

                        for or all we know the Browns want Allen or Mayfield at 4
                        Last edited by Carter.525; 03-10-2018, 11:45 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think fans really need to put Baker Mayfield in the picture with the top 3. His production at Oklahoma was better than any of the others. Seeing that he had the second strongest arm at the combine was eye opening. His personality is not Johnny Manziel but more like a Rivers or Brees fiery not obnoxious. A year or two on the bench and he could be the star of this class.
                          Just my opinion

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...90#post3093690

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To tell you the truth when I heard the news that Browns got Taylor I immediately assumed Browns are drafting Mayfield. They are trading for a QB who is very similar skill sets as Mayfield. They are building an offense with a veteran and can plug a guy like Mayfield right in and still have a good back up without changing the offense. I think they go Barkley, Mayfield in the first round.
                              Last edited by blu_buddha; 03-10-2018, 11:54 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X