Understanding Saquon Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Saquon Barkley

I know, its PFF, but I enjoyed this article anyways.

Have at it.

The more the pre-draft process works through, the more Saquon Barkley becomes myth, legend or superhero in the eyes of some. I have seen him called the best running back prospect in decades, a likely No. 1 overall selection (which would be the first time a running back has gone No. 1 since 1995), and even seen it reported that some team has given him a ‘perfect’ grade in their pre-draft scouting.

This was likely always coming, given his athletic profile and the inevitability that he would blow up the NFL Scouting Combine in February, but it still feels like a runaway train that needs somebody to pull the brake.

Before we get into the negatives though, let’s take a look at what everybody loves about Barkley and why he is the consensus No. 1 back on everybody’s draft board.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...m_campaign=nfl
    http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb).
    I guess Georgia has a crappy OL too then right?

Comment

This is going to make the Saquonagins have a heart attack.
      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

May I ask without getting blasted why he is ranked so high over the other top rbs in this draft?? Their is good things to like about some of the other top backs.

I miss a Brandon Jacobs type rb, we absolutely need a guy like Jacobs to grab another gear and truck a defender over. Man I miss how that man ran pissed off and on a mission every time he had the ball
        ​​​​​​
        Barkley is not that type of back, completely different actually.

Would having a dynamic back like Barkley work nicely with Stewart as the 3rd and goal line type work?

​​​​​​Whoever drafts Barkley, will the coaches be able to talk him into not always looking for the homerun play? Obviously that has put him into trouble in games, but he is Definitely young so I would think a good coach will work wonders on his vision
        Last edited by IBleedblue2323; 03-22-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

One point in this article that struck me was the fact he does not run well behind zone blocking, and much better in a power blocking scheme. I know Shurmur uses zone blocking, both in Philly and Minnesota....yeah, and also a receiver that can catch, but this article was dead on with the vision and never taking the initial hole and bouncing it outside....east west.

The scheme dictates the type of offensive linemen we take....and running back.

Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed, strength, surprise, and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedblue2323 View Post
            May I ask without getting blasted why he is ranked so high over the other top rbs in this draft?? Their is good things to like about some of the other top backs.

I miss a Brandon Jacobs type rb, we absolutely need a guy like Jacobs to grab another gear and truck a defender over. Man I miss how that man ran pissed off and on a mission every time he had the ball
            ​​​​​​
            Barkley is not that type of back, completely different actually.

Would having a dynamic back like Barkley work nicely with Stewart as the 3rd and goal line type work?

​​​​​​Whoever drafts Barkley, will the coaches be able to talk him into not always looking for the homerun play? Obviously that has put him into trouble in games, but he is Definitely young so I would think a good coach will work wonders on his vision
            I do miss Jacobs. We all do. A snot box rocker. An intimidating SOB. I remember DBs started to go out of their ways to not tackle him.

I think the closest one in this draft is Bo Scarborough from Bama. Dude is light on his feet and can also smash. He isn't as big as Jacobs, but still 6'2" and runs downhill.

I'd actually comp Barkley with Tiki Barber I think. Great receiver, hard worker, elusive, but won't hit the open hole all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I do miss Jacobs. We all do. A snot box rocker. An intimidating SOB. I remember DBs started to go out of their ways to not tackle him.

I think the closest one in this draft is Bo Scarborough from Bama. Dude is light on his feet and can also smash. He isn't as big as Jacobs, but still 6'2" and runs downhill.

I'd actually comp Barkley with Tiki Barber I think. Great receiver, hard worker, elusive, but won't hit the open hole all the time.
              Lets hope that Gettlemen and Shurmur both agree they need another intimidating back on this team.
              One that keeps the defense honest and on their toes and undecided on where and to who the ball is going to. I don't think anyone compares to Jacobs​, but we definitely need another dynamic back on this roster.

Hopefully we sure up this offensive line and add a potent RB. If it's not Barkley so be it but we need the next best hard hitting back available.

If we can grab a QB and possibly a Bo Scarborough type I would be happy seeing Barkley go elsewhere just not on any NFC East team which has no chance in happening
              Last edited by IBleedblue2323; 03-22-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I remember hearing all the experts gushing about Reggie Bush. Then he bounced around between 6 NFL teams. I think Barkley will be better but I hope they trade the pick and plug a ton of holes with a bunch of the top 69 picks. We have 4 of those picks today but could end up with at least 2 more this year and some more picks next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris View Post
                  One point in this article that struck me was the fact he does not run well behind zone blocking, and much better in a power blocking scheme. I know Shurmur uses zone blocking, both in Philly and Minnesota....yeah, and also a receiver that can catch, but this article was dead on with the vision and never taking the initial hole and bouncing it outside....east west.

Which RBs in this draft run well behind a zone scheme then?

Comment

I'd rather pick a QB, Chubb or Nelson in round 1, and then grab a RB in Round 2.

Saquon will be good, but this draft is loaded at RB. There are 10 legit RBs in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Yo Alb View Post

Which RBs in this draft run well behind a zone scheme then?
                      I've been touting Penny...need patience and he has it. I had this debate already with Penny, and I see a guy in Penny with great vision and patience, and the ability to catch. He's a perfect fit for Shurmur's zone blocking. Problem with penny is he does not block.

Guice seems to have that great vision and north south style...quick feet. I'd say a zone blocking ...perfect fit. Chubb.....he has that quick one cut, and great vision. I'd say he would fit in a zone blocking scheme.

Barkley lacks the vision, and thus why he usually will always bounce it outside vs hitting that between tackle hole...always trying to make the highlight run vs the 3-4 yards given. The article was dead on....just watch his tape. It does not mean he will be a bust, bad or not a star...it's just a stle that might not be best suited for a zone blocking scheme.

I find this also interesting as I go over the offense and defense we will now be running on past tape, the offensive linemen we draft would fit. We know Gettleman goes by the theory, the bigger the better, and zone blockers usually have to be a bit more athletic....will this have any impact on the type of OL we draft? Gettleman wanting Brown and Shurmur liking a Kolton Miller's athletic abilities? A Daniels vs Hernandez? Should be interesting in who we draft, and to what strengths the players are apt to develop as in the NFL.
                      Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed, strength, surprise, and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy.

Comment

As far as big intimidating backs go, what about Bo Scarborough in the fifth? He’s injured a lot, but sure looks the part when healthy. Surprisingly fast for a guy his size too.

Comment

Wait you keep saying he is an east west runner a la Reggie Bush and isn't a great power back. Now you say he is not built for the zone blocking scheme but rather a power blocking scheme. How can you get swayed so easily on one article?

Comment

Bingo, which is why we signed Patrick Omameh. Omameh isn’t a mauler/over-powering run blocker like DJ Fluker (which is why he didn't fit our scheme and we let him walk), but he does move well in space. He has the ability to get down the field for screens, which is a staple of Shurmur's offenses. Florida State used a lot of zone blocking, which made Dalvin Cook a perfect fit for the Vikings offense. He was having a great year before his injury.

The Eagles are another team that uses zone blocking, which is why they went after Jay Ajayi in Miami. At Boise State Ajayi's team ran the same scheme, so it wasn't shocking he was a great fit.

Eagles have a great running game due to their scheme and they didn't draft road grading maulers and instead drafted athletic lineman that can be easier to obtain since most teams are looking for maulers for their power/gap run scheme. Outside of Lane Johnson, not one player on their line is a 1st round draft pick. Their best lineman arguably is their LT Jason Peters, who was an undrafted TE! Who converted to play tackle. Ya think the athleticism he used to play TE helped him develop into a great LT? You bet. Three 3rd rounders and one 6th rounder (Jason Kelce) make up the rest of one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

So, if you guys want to know which RBs in the draft the Giants could be targeting, just research which RBs in this year's draft comes from a zone blocking scheme and ran well. Two off the top of my head are Rashaad Penny and Bo Scarbrough to begin with.

If someone wants to compile a list, we can all rank them and take a stab at guess-timating who the Giants might draft and where.

On a side note, one criticism of Quenton Nelson is a weakness of his game is he does not move well and would not fit a zone scheme since he is a mauler and perfect power blocking player. I hope that is not accurate and discourages us from drafting him.

Comment

As exciting as it'd be, I don't think we take Saquon as that is a luxury pick and we have too many holes on the roaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X