Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WITH the 2nd pick !....CAN the New York Giants blow it??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WITH the 2nd pick !....CAN the New York Giants blow it??

Over and over again I see a lot of posters saying that the New York Giants should not trade back. The chances of getting a second over all pick... almost never happen and you can immediately get a game changer. But what if the giant stay put and they choose a game-changer is there a chance they can blow it? It's a good question in something we should Ponder. I think if the New York Giants choose a quarterback the potential of it being a miscalculated risk is greater than. But if the Giants take Barkley or Chubb I think that's a real game-changer...
    but the question remains what if we give up on a franchise quarterback?

with the second overall pick is there a chance the Giants can blow it?

so many holes so many needs what if the Giants were to use their second overall pick to draft this guy Minkah Fitzpatrick?

great player

but did the Giants just blow it?
    Last edited by brownelvis54; 04-10-2018, 10:44 PM.

Reese would. DG won't

Comment

Of course they can blow it

Comment

Certainly possible.

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/video/...mpact-day-one/

Comment

While I have my preferences among the group, if we end up with Barkley, Darnold, Chubb or Nelson I do not think we blow it. I think they're all very safe picks.
            NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
            Garrett Bolles - OT
            David Njoku - TE
            Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

It depends how you look at the pick and the timing. If they pick a QB, it may help long term but not for the players and fans that want to win now. If DG is looking to win now, he’ will go with Chubb or Bradley but there are other needs too. No matter the pick many will think the Giants blew it.

Comment

They can absolutely blow it. Nothing in the draft is a sure thing that’s why they’re called prospects. Like the op stated taking a safe pick like Chubb or Nelson doesn’t make them immune, what if they have a career ending injury?

Comment

The risk of "blowing it" is what makes trading back a good idea.
                  There will be players available after the top 5 -6 picks that will turn out better than some of the players drafted ahead of them. Plus you get all those extra picks.
                  Another scenario - what if the Giants picked a tremendous player at #2 overall, then the dude has career ruined by catastrophic injury?
                  By trading back for several high picks, one injury wouldn't leave them with nothing.
                  Only someone close to LT, or a franchise QB is worth a #2 overall pick IMO. If you don't get either of these you're better of trading back IMO.
                  They'll still get a nice high pick this year PLUS 3-4 more good picks spread over a couple of years.
                  Maybe Saquon will be great. Fine. Pick him.
                  Maybe Nelson is that good. Fine. Take him.
                  But if they take someone at #2 overall that is only slightly better (or, heaven forbid, not even as good) as others in this class, then they've blown it.
                  Teams give alot to move up the draft board.
                  Last edited by boxcar willie; 04-11-2018, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Dude DE got drafted #1 several times including last year. The only way to blow this is by trading back and drafting mediocre players or by drafting a future bust QB.

Comment

Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post
                      There will be players available after the top 5 -6 picks that will turn out better than some of the players drafted ahead of them. Plus you get all those extra picks.
                      Another scenario - what if the Giants picked a tremendous player at #2 overall, then the dude has career ruined by catastrophic injury?
                      By trading back for several high picks, one injury wouldn't leave them with nothing.
                      Only someone close to LT, or a franchise QB is worth a #2 overall pick IMO. If you don't get either of these you're better of trading back IMO.
                      They'll still get a nice high pick this year PLUS 3-4 more good picks spread over a couple of years.
                      But if they take someone at #2 overall that is only slightly better (or, heaven forbid, not even as good) as others in this class, then they've blown it.
                      with the rookie wage scale, its not so financially crippling if you pick the wrong guy at #2. Hurts on the field of course...

Comment

Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post
                        You can't think about a player getting hurt. It can happen to any player at anytime. If the giants used that logic they never would of gotten eli manning...
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

They can blow it . That is an option . Take a QB after the first one is taken. Or any over hyped player.
                          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
                            Dude DE got drafted #1 several times including last year. The only way to blow this is by trading back and drafting mediocre players or by drafting a future bust QB.
                            you are spot-on , 100% correct .

wasting this draft pick on a quarterback that won't even see the field for one year ; possibly two years ...
                            just to find out 2 years later that he is only a mediocre quarterback is just too much of a gamble .

trading down for more picks in a lesser talented pool of players is just as risky ...
                            the odds in the draft crapshoot just get worse ...
                            2 hit or miss mediocre players are not as good as 1 higher picked best player available .

Best player available is always the smartest option ... unless you already have a superstar at that position .
                            so other than wide receiver ; the Giants are pretty much wide open for best player available .

Barkley or Chubb are the only picks that would make an immediate positive impact and justify the #2 pick .
                            but I think Eli really needs the help on offense ...
                            now that he has some blindside protection at left tackle ; even a mediocre running game will help him out immensely .

so I would keep the #2 pick and go with Barkley .

so to respond to the OP ...
                            no the Giants can't blow it -
                            unless they take a quarterback
                            Last edited by stormblue; 04-11-2018, 08:39 AM.
                            due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                            my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
                              While I have my preferences among the group, if we end up with Barkley, Darnold, Chubb or Nelson I do not think we blow it. I think they're all very safe picks.
                              This is exactly how I feel. Especially if we get a non-quarterback pick with the 2nd over all pick. OB wise I am not sold on any......I am warming up to Darnold

Comment

Working...
                              X