Why Saquan Barkley Would Be A HUGE Mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

You are completely missing the point. Iím talking about the kind of RB who needs the ball and takes away from the rest of the offense.
    maybe you are missing the point. people that want barkley are talking about how defenses are going to have to put 8 in the box to stop him freeing up OBJ to be one on one and a free ride for Engram and shep with one less safety over the middle or whatever. Barkley is supposedly a A HUGE threat.

the dynamic of the offense can completely change with a home run threat RB who can threaten the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

maybe you are missing the point. people that want barkley are talking about how defenses are going to have to put 8 in the box to stop him freeing up OBJ to be one on one and a free ride for Engram and shep with one less safety over the middle or whatever. Barkley is supposedly a A HUGE threat.

the dynamic of the offense can completely change with a home run threat RB who can threaten the edges.
      Oh. Itís the old ďeight in the boxĒ scenario. Thatís an oldie but a goodie.
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Oh. Itís the old ďeight in the boxĒ scenario. Thatís an oldie but a goodie.
        lol. yeah ... last year it was engram is going to threaten to "split the seam" completely changing the dynamic of the offense.

This year it is "8 in the box" LOL

Who knows? Maybe there will be something to it this time. I'd be more confident with the current regime if they were saying it, than the macadoodle gang saying it.

don't think anyone can say barkley is a huge mistake at this point. smells more like someone with a get rid of eli agenda.

fess up!
        Last edited by bigpoppy; 04-11-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

If we don't go QB, I think taking Nelson (whether it be at 2 or a trade back to 5-6) and then Guice/Michel in the 2nd would be the smart move. If we had a Dallas like OL, Barkley would be the missing piece to a dominant running game, like Zeke was for Dallas when he came out. But since we don't, I think this is the route to go.

Comment

You are completely missing the point. Iím talking about the kind of RB who needs the ball and takes away from the rest of the offense.
            Chicken or the egg. Did these backs (not sure who you're speaking of) need the ball and take away from the rest of the team; or was the rest of the team terrible and thus the OC relied on the RB? IMO that is a coaching issue. Also IMO we would not suffer from that because A) I don't think Barkley is a guy you hand the ball to 30 times in a game, B) I don't think Shurmur would do that to this team and C) we have a very good passing game right now but lack the running game.

With that said can you honestly name a few of these backs that you think "need" the ball? I really don't think that back exists anymore in the NFL. Just a quick search and last year we had 1 RB in the NFL get more than 300 rushing attempts. In 2007 we had 6 RBs do it.

I agree with you 100% though, we should not take any player (RB, WR, QB, TE ect) that makes us rely solely on them. This discussion now shifts away from the obvious flaw in your initial post to talking about whether Barkley makes us one dimensional or not. I think that is a simple answer. We have a very high number of passing threats ODB, Engram and Shep and zero running threat. So Barkley adds balance. He is also a threat to catch the ball as well, adding yet another dimension. He is also a heck of a blocker, which our team will need considering how poor our OL has played. So no, he doesn't make us one dimensional, he adds a few dimensions to an already one dimensional team.

As I have always said, it's ok to not want the guy, but don't make up silly reasons to defend your opinion. It's your opinion to want or not want a guy, you don't have to pull up off the wall meaningless stats to "prove" your opinion.
            LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
            "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

lol. yeah ... last year it was engram is going to threaten to "split the seam" completely changing the dynamic of the offense.

This year it is "8 in the box" LOL

Who knows? Maybe there will be something to it this time. I'd be more confident with the current regime if they were saying it, than the macadoodle gang saying it.

don't think anyone can say barkley is a huge mistake at this point. smells more like someone with a get rid of eli agenda.

fess up!
              im sorry but itís just not that simple. You have a good back and suddenly the defense is going to put 8 in the box? Thatís a fantasy. They are going to let Odell get behind them because theyíre afraid of a 5 yard gain? Really?
              You may be shocked to hear this but defenses are a tad more complex than that.

Running games are are very important to an offense. Guess what. Saquon Barkley isnít the only avenue to a good running game.
              But he is the one that could cost us a franchise QB or a great pass rusher.

Comment

There are so many factors that have me convinced the Giants are taking a quarterback. New GM, new coach, Eli will turn 38 this season, Webb unknown, team expected to be mediocre even with Barkley, Eagles have Wentz for the next decade, the Jets are right behind them waiting to go QB, actual potential franchise QB's available

Comment

Why spend the 2nd pick in the draft on a RB, when you can draft a guy like Michel at 34? You can have our QB of the future AND our RB.

I get that you disagree but can you cite examples of great RB's winning championships in today's NFL. I can cite plenty of great QB's who have.

I'll give you Marshon on a team that held Peyton Manning to single digits. Now who else?
                  You keep saying QB Who? QB QB QB QB that is all you say is QB . Who do you want to draft as a QB and why?
                  The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by kjmanoni View Post
                    There are so many factors that have me convinced the Giants are taking a quarterback. New GM, new coach, Eli will turn 38 this season, Webb unknown, team expected to be mediocre even with Barkley, Eagles have Wentz for the next decade, the Jets are right behind them waiting to go QB, actual potential franchise QB's available
                    Seems logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      im sorry but itís just not that simple. You have a good back and suddenly the defense is going to put 8 in the box? Thatís a fantasy. They are going to let Odell get behind them because theyíre afraid of a 5 yard gain? Really?
                      You may be shocked to hear this but defenses are a tad more complex than that.

Running games are are very important to an offense. Guess what. Saquon Barkley isnít the only avenue to a good running game.
                      But he is the one that could cost us a franchise QB or a great pass rusher.
                      whatever dude. I don't care. but don't pretend you aren't a hater. you hate eli. it's obvious. If they decide to pass on QB then barkely is one of the 2 best players in the draft according to almost every single draft analyst. nothing you are going to say will change that. If you want to say we have to go QB, that is one thing. But to say barkely isn't a godo option if they decide not to go QB is ridunkulous,..Unless you are an eli hater...then in your biased brain it makes perfect sense to you. I get it.

I understand completely.!@

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

whatever dude. I don't care. but don't pretend you aren't a hater. you hate eli. it's obvious. If they decide to pass on QB then barkely is one of the 2 best players in the draft according to almost every single draft analyst. nothing you are going to say will change that. If you want to say we have to go QB, that is one thing. But to say barkely isn't a godo option if they decide not to go QB is ridunkulous,..Unless you are an eli hater...then in your biased brain it makes perfect sense to you. I get it.

I understand completely.!@
                        What does this have to do with Eli?

Comment

• Originally posted by kjmanoni View Post
                          They will go QB if they think a great one is there. Otherwise they will go in another direction.
                          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                            They will go QB if they think a great one is there. Otherwise they will go in another direction.
                            I'm sure you're right.

Comment

• Main reason MS thinks it will be a mistake to draft Barkley is that he may extend Eli's career. I hope we win the Superbowl with Eli next year so that it will extends people's misery for 4 more years.

Comment

• Since the entire premise of this thread was proven to be false can we please lock this thread and move on now? Just to reiterate.

Since 1966:
                                Zero league leading passers have won the Super Bowl
                                Three times the leading receiver won the Super Bowl
                                Four times the leading rusher won the Super Bowl

"Next man up"

Comment

Working...
                                X