No announcement yet.

Read Serby before going overboard on a QB at #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking that Gettleman had probably made up his mind already, but now I'm leaning towards he's probably got a few scenarios worked out, and one of them relies heavily on what they see in Webb in the next couple of weeks.

I know that sound kind of ridiculous, because how can you really judge Webb in the limited camp time before the draft? Unfortunately, I think this is what Gettleman and Shurmur are left with.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I agree with that totally. However just because we need a QB and own the #2 it doesn't follow automatically that we must take one.....which is supported by the data in this article. Land mines abound.
      It's not supported by anything. The first pick has the best chance of getting a great player. The 2nd pick has the second best chance and so on.
      Most great NFL QB's were not taken as the first pick in the draft. And what happened in 1993 is irrelevant to today. the coaching is better in college and the pro scouting is better as well. the 1st round busts have decreased over the years at every position.

In other words...they know what to look for better these days and are better able to relate that to the pro game. It has nothing to do with being picked 1st, 2nd, 3rd or wherever.

This article is a substitution for human judgement and is worthless.
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
        I was thinking that Gettleman had probably made up his mind already, but now I'm leaning towards he's probably got a few scenarios worked out, and one of them relies heavily on what they see in Webb in the next couple of weeks.

I know that sound kind of ridiculous, because how can you really judge Webb in the limited camp time before the draft? Unfortunately, I think this is what Gettleman and Shurmur are left with.
        sometimes you have to take what you can get.
        DG has to have a few plans/strategies in place. Them taking a QB has more to do with what they think of the current crop and what they think of Webb as you said.
        "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

the last day of the mini camp is the first day of the draft. there is absolutely NO WAY they wont have their minds set yet. Webb playing 7 on 7 in shorts is not going to determine what to do in the draft

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post

the last day of the mini camp is the first day of the draft. there is absolutely NO WAY they wont have their minds set yet. Webb playing 7 on 7 in shorts is not going to determine what to do in the draft
            Yes, I'm sure you're right.......hard to say how the Giants are leaning right now.
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Here comes Morehead to refute this article:
              I don't see how he can...he's always telling us we missed on our Eli pick!
              "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post

sometimes you have to take what you can get.
                DG has to have a few plans/strategies in place. Them taking a QB has more to do with what they think of the current crop and what they think of Webb as you said.
                Really the QB question comes down to a few factors.

1. How long is Eli going to be our QB and play at an acceptable level...and will his contract be conducive to that?
                2. Do we think Davis Webb could be the heir apparent?
                3. Will a guy they believe in be available at #2?

I think the answer is
                1. One more season
                2. Probably not.
                3. Yes

But that is only one fan's opinion. Which is why we're all here talking about our team.
                Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

1. How long is Eli going to be our QB and play at an acceptable level...and will his contract be conducive to that?

I think the answer is
                  1. One more season
                  2. Probably not.
                  3. Yes

But that is only one fan's opinion. Which is why we're all here talking about our team.
                  I can definitely understand why you think that, I'm just not convinced that it's 100% accurate.
                  "No...I didn't."

Comment

It is what it is...there are 5 good QBs in this draft whether you want to believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I agree with that totally. However just because we need a QB and own the #2 it doesn't follow automatically that we must take one.....which is supported by the data in this article. Land mines abound.
                      Of course, its truly up to the Giants evaluations on the QB class. As of now, it seems to be Darnold or no QB imo. The Allen love to me is to drive up the price in a trade down scenario. I cant honestly believe they like him.

Comment

I think the answer is
                        1. One more season
                        2. Probably not.
                        3. Yes

im with you on this. It's gotta be either QB or trade imo. #2 pick is too valuable to take Barkley or Chubb. Chubb's not Myles Garrett from last year. He's a really good player, but he's not a generational talent. And i think it's been beat to death the value of RB at 2 just isnt really there when quality starting rbs can be had in later rounds.

i'm starting to come around to the idea of trading back with the Bills IF they give up like 6 picks. im talking both firsts this year, a first next year, both 2nds this year, and a 3rd next year. With all those picks, Giants have ammo to move back into the top 10 from 12 if they want to grab a Nelson or Chubb if they drop to the 6/7 range.

Comment

It's not supported by anything. The first pick has the best chance of getting a great player. The 2nd pick has the second best chance and so on.
                          Most great NFL QB's were not taken as the first pick in the draft. And what happened in 1993 is irrelevant to today. the coaching is better in college and the pro scouting is better as well. the 1st round busts have decreased over the years at every position.

In other words...they know what to look for better these days and are better able to relate that to the pro game. It has nothing to do with being picked 1st, 2nd, 3rd or wherever.

This article is a substitution for human judgement and is worthless.
                          If anything, it shows just how much teams value QB's...and just how rare true franchise QB's are.

Comment

I think the answer is
                            1. One more season
                            2. Probably not.
                            3. Yes

I actually don't think 1 and 2 are 100% relevant if 3 is true.
                            Let's say you had a shot to take Aaron Rodgers at #2...not sure that requires a lot of consideration of Eli's contract or Webb's ability.
                            Last edited by Delicreep; 04-13-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
                              Of course there is a risk in taking a QB...or any position at that. That does not mean when you have the chance to grab a QB without having to use any assets to do so you should not because other QBs have failed in the past. If the Giants really like a QB, he should be the pick over any other position.
                              if you don't draft a QB when you need one where else are you going to get one, veteran QBs who are available are there for a reason.

Comment

Wow, drafting a QB high in the draft is risky. Who knew?

Steve Serby, Captain Obvious

Comment

Working...
                                X