What Would the Pats Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Um, Brady is 41 and they are absolutely moving away from him sometime soon. Mother Nature guarantees that.

If they didn't have to pay Jimmy G huge money to keep him, he would still be there.

Money was the driver of that decision.
    With the Qb on your team, money should never be the reason to throw dice with your future . That is just the way I see it.
    The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_ToThe_Bone View Post
      I think Bill would find a diamond at QB in the later rounds of the draft. Belichick has said finding "value" is the most important goal in a draft. Bill has been compared to a very analytical stockbroker which makes me believe he wouldn't go QB at #2. Bill likes to trade back and being #2 would be a good opportunity for him to do so. Otherwise, if the #1 ranked player drops to #2 - I think Bill would see that as a value pick. Saquon Barkley to the Patriots.

Hopefully the Giants have learned a little bit from Bill Belichick and not trade away draft picks/reach for players like Ryan Nassib.
      I also think the other option Bill would do with the #2 pick is trade it for a known NFL talent that fits his system.

Comment

Just saw this today also. Gives a little more insight into the way Bill Bellichek drafts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ting-for-need/

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

With the Qb on your team, money should never be the reason to throw dice with your future . That is just the way I see it.
          No way around that one though ... canít pay your backup QB $20M. Hard enough to win when you pay your starter that much ....

Even so, it sounds like Belichick was willing to do it for a year but was forced by the owner to make the trade

Comment

Belichick would never have the number 2 draft unless he traded for it.

There is no loyalty in New England....That is the gift and the curse
            Long Live the King

Comment

It appears that you think the same thing. Thank you for the compliment
              You think Bill would take a QB.
              I think Bill would take Chubb.

Yep that is the same thing lol.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

How did the 2 of you draw this conclusion? He traded Garoppolo away for a 2nd round pick. The exact tender we gave a mid level center. Why would he do that for a unproven high 1st round draft pick?

He trades a proven talent away = Brady is our guy.
                He had to trade Jimmy. He was not signing a team friendly deal to continue to sit, and Bill was not going to Franchise him.

It is also irrelevant to thescenario that is being questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

He had to trade Jimmy. He was not signing a team friendly deal to continue to sit, and Bill was not going to Franchise him.

It is also irrelevant to thescenario that is being questioned
                  Actually it is pretty relevant. Jimmy G was the 5th QB taken. Davis Webb was the 5th QB taken. If Bill did not trade Jimmy he would not have drafted another QB. Had Bill drafted Davis the same could be said. The issue we have is that our GM and coach don't know much about Webb. It's not out of the question that Webb could be really good.

The highest paid player was the 8th QB taken in his draft. The 2nd highest paid player was the 5th QB taken in his draft. The Super Bowl MVP last year was the 7th QB taken in his class. Chances are if Bill picked Webb and was in this exact same situation he would not take a QB with the #2 pick.
                  LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                  "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

They'd sign Dez Bryant and somehow squeeze another good year out of him.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                      They'd sign Dez Bryant and somehow squeeze another good year out of him.
                      I've never thought much of him but he's BURNING to play in the NFC. Motivation is such a big factor in todays NFL.

Comment

How did the 2 of you draw this conclusion? He traded Garoppolo away for a 2nd round pick. The exact tender we gave a mid level center. Why would he do that for a unproven high 1st round draft pick?

He trades a proven talent away = Brady is our guy.
                        How is Garoppolo proven? 23 games, 2200 yards 17 tds.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                          You think Bill would take a QB.
                          I think Bill would take Chubb.

Yep that is the same thing lol.
                          I think that Bill would take a QB if one was sitting there who he had rated as a franchise QB.

You disagree with that?

Comment

The Patriots seem to be the gold standard of NFL franchises according to many.

Do you think that Belichick would sit tight at #2 and draft a RB if he was in the Giants' shoes?
                            The Pats are the most overrated franchise in all of sports. Belichick gave away Jamie Collins for a song. He's made countless draft mistakes over the years.
                            Bill is a great coach but a mediocre personnel guy. The Pats are an ordinary organization. they are most certainly not the gold standard.

What they have is Tom Brady. Brady glosses over all their mistakes. As long as they have Brady, they will be a force. Once he leaves, they will go back to being the ordinary franchise they always were.
                            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

The Pats are the most overrated franchise in all of sports. Belichick gave away Jamie Collins for a song. He's made countless draft mistakes over the years.
                              Bill is a great coach but a mediocre personnel guy. The Pats are an ordinary organization. they are most certainly not the gold standard.

What they have is Tom Brady. Brady glosses over all their mistakes. As long as they have Brady, they will be a force. Once he leaves, they will go back to being the ordinary franchise they always were.
                              I agree that Brady is the ultimate eraser of bad decisions

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                                Actually it is pretty relevant. Jimmy G was the 5th QB taken. Davis Webb was the 5th QB taken. If Bill did not trade Jimmy he would not have drafted another QB. Had Bill drafted Davis the same could be said. The issue we have is that our GM and coach don't know much about Webb. It's not out of the question that Webb could be really good.

The highest paid player was the 8th QB taken in his draft. The 2nd highest paid player was the 5th QB taken in his draft. The Super Bowl MVP last year was the 7th QB taken in his class. Chances are if Bill picked Webb and was in this exact same situation he would not take a QB with the #2 pick.
                                Forget about Jimmy G, it isn't relevant to the question.

The question the poster wants wants to know is that if Bellichick had the second pick in the draft, a 41/42 year old QB, and other holes on the roster what would he do?

Would he draft a Running Back, a different BPA, or take a QB?

My take isthat with the second pick I feel he would likely take a QB to understudy a Brady and potentially take the reins once Tom retires.

If there was not a QB there, he would trade down a little bit and get more picks.

Jimmy was a known quantity to Bill because he was there for years, knew the system and started games.

Davis Webb has never started an NFL game, and none of the coaches know him.

Yes this is all hypothetical and it is projecting, but IN MY OPINION, he would take a QB if there was one he liked.

This is all opinion on a hypothetical, there are no wrong answers.

Heck, someone could make a case for him drafting a Kicker with the second pick since he puts a premium on the kicking game and has won SBs with late field goals. I will not make that argument, but if someone really wanted to they could.

But if your position is that Bill wouldn't draft a QB at all because we have a 3rd round pick from last year's draft on the team that has yet to play a snap at QB, then I disagree with that. Again that is also your opinion and you can make an argument, but I disagree with it, which is OK too.

Comment

Working...
                                X