What Would the Pats Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

It is irrelevant because Jimmy G is not there, and for comparison sake, we do not have a Jimmy G on this roster.

So that hat is how brining up Jimmy G is irrelevant.

If your argument is that Davis Webb is Jimmy G, then that is laughable. Is that what you are saying?
    What does the original thread tiopc have to do ("What Would the Pats Do") with us having Jimmy G or Webb? Why are you bringing up Davis Webb as a relevant point to if the Pats are going forward is Brady? Your response is somewhat cryptic to me on how it is pertinent to the topic.
    Last edited by TEM; 04-14-2018, 06:57 PM.
    The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

If you are asking this question legitimately, the data is pretty simple: Bill B would select defensive player. Statistically speaking, it would likely be Bradley Chubb.

Since becoming HC of the pats in 2000, he has selected 10 defensive players in the 1st round, just 5 offensive players, and had no 1st round picks 5 times(either traded or taken away.)

Of the defensive players, he has selected 6 defensive linemen, 2 LBs, and 2 safeties.

Of the offensive players, he has selected 2TEs, 1RB, 1 OT, and 1 OG.

So if we are speaking objectively here. There is zero evidence he would select a QB. There is more evidence he would select a TE, followed by RB, T , or Guard, but not a QB. In fact, if past is any indicator of future, there is a bigger chance the pick would be taken away by the league for cheating, than the Pats selecting a QB in the 1st round.

I added that last sentence in for TheAnalyst
      Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Short answer?

Cheat.

Long answer?

Cheat and act ignorant to the fact they are cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
          If you are asking this question legitimately, the data is pretty simple: Bill B would select defensive player. Statistically speaking, it would likely be Bradley Chubb.

Since becoming HC of the pats in 2000, he has selected 10 defensive players in the 1st round, just 5 offensive players, and had no 1st round picks 5 times(either traded or taken away.)

Of the defensive players, he has selected 6 defensive linemen, 2 LBs, and 2 safeties.

Of the offensive players, he has selected 2TEs, 1RB, 1 OT, and 1 OG.

So if we are speaking objectively here. There is zero evidence he would select a QB. There is more evidence he would select a TE, followed by RB, T , or Guard, but not a QB. In fact, if past is any indicator of future, there is a bigger chance the pick would be taken away by the league for cheating, than the Pats selecting a QB in the 1st round.

I added that last sentence in for TheAnalyst
          How does offensive players in the first round have any correlation to QB in the first round?

Since 2000 they have had a QB who turns chicken **** into chicken salad. Itís pretty obvious that this has skewed the numbers.

Also, picking a QB is a completely different animal.

To be clear - it is your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB who he had rated as a franchise QB to take Chubb?

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

How does offensive players in the first round have any correlation to QB in the first round?

Since 2000 they have had a QB who turns chicken **** into chicken salad. Itís pretty obvious that this has skewed the numbers.

Also, picking a QB is a completely different animal.

To be clear - it is your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB who he had rated as a franchise QB to take Chubb?
            You asked a simple question, what would the Pats do? I looked at what the pats have done every year since Bill became GM/coach. There is no evidence he would select a QB(in the 1st round anyways). Anything beyond that is a guess.

I am not advocating that we pass on a QB, I am answering your question with statistical evidence. The most obvious answer is he would likely select defense, since that is what he has done 2/3rds of the time. Personally, I do not think that is what we will do, but it is the correct answer to your question.

Just to show even more evidence to that end, if you go back to the 1991-95 Browns, They never selected a QB. Bill B was the HC and had an aging QB well past his prime. In 1991, after a poor season with very mediocre QB play, the Brown had the 2nd overall pick and chose a defensive back. In 1992, they selected a RB with the 9th overall pick despite Mike Tomzak being their starting QB.

Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-14-2018, 06:28 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

You asked a simple question, what would the Pats do? I looked at what the pats have done every year since Bill became GM/coach. There is no evidence he would select a QB(in the 1st round anyways). Anything beyond that is a guess.

I am not advocating that we pass on a QB, I am answering your question with statistical evidence. The most obvious answer is he would likely select defense, since that is what he has done 2/3rds of the time. Personally, I do not think that is what we will do, but it is the correct answer to your question.

Just to show even more evidence to that end, if you go back to the 1991-95 Browns, They never selected a QB. Bill B was the HC and had an aging QB well past his prime. In 1991, after a poor season with very mediocre QB play, the Brown had the 2nd overall pick and chose a defensive back. In 1992, they selected a RB with the 9th overall pick despite Mike Tomzak being their starting QB.

What ďevidenceĒ would you expect to find from his Pats tenure to suggest that he would take a QB in the first? Heís had the GOAT for the last 18 years.

1991 QBís in first - Dan McGuire (#16) and Todd Marinovich (24). (Favre drafted in 2nd)

1992 QBís in first - David Klingler (#6) and Tommy Maddox (#25). (Dave Brown in supplemental).

Neither of these drafts from almost 30 years ago shed any light whatsoever on whether or not Belichick would take a QB at #2 in this draft.

I ask you again - is it your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB he had graded as a franchise QB to take Chubb?

Comment

What ďevidenceĒ would you expect to find from his Pats tenure to suggest that he would take a QB in the first?
                I don't, you do. You asked the question then suggested that QB was the correct response. I pointed out that there is no evidence supporting that. Am I wrong?

Neither of these drafts from almost 30 years ago shed any light whatsoever on whether or not Belichick would take a QB at #2 in this draft.
                Perhaps that explains why I included every year he has ever been a HC and still hasn't taken a QB in the 1st round. Again, you asked the question and I answered using what stats were available. You seem to not like what the stats say.

I ask you again - is it your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB he had graded as a franchise QB to take Chubb?
                That isn't what I said. That also isn't what you asked. You have added a qualifier which is a complete guess since you have no idea how he grades these QBs. Furthermore, me saying there is no evidence that Bill would select a QB in the 1st round, because he has literally never once done it in 30 years, is NOT the same thing as me saying that I think WE shouldn't do it or that I think we won't. I think that if we stay at the 2nd pick, it is the most likely scenario, followed by Barkley. But that is not what this thread is asking.

Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't, you do. You asked the question then suggested that QB was the correct response. I pointed out that there is no evidence supporting that. Am I wrong?

Perhaps that explains why I included every year he has ever been a HC and still hasn't taken a QB in the 1st round. Again, you asked the question and I answered using what stats were available. You seem to not like what the stats say.

That isn't what I said. That also isn't what you asked. You have added a qualifier which is a complete guess since you have no idea how he grades these QBs. Furthermore, me saying there is no evidence that Bill would select a QB in the 1st round, because he has literally never once done it in 30 years, is NOT the same thing as me saying that I think WE shouldn't do it or that I think we won't. I think that if we stay at the 2nd pick, it is the most likely scenario, followed by Barkley. But that is not what this thread is asking.

I will take that as a ďnoĒ.

Comment

I will take that as a ďnoĒ.
                    lol to which question? You keep changing it

I'll make it simple:

The thread asked what would the pats do:
                    I do not know. But the stats indicate Bill would not select a QB in the 1st round and it more likely to go defense, or trade the pick.
                    Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-14-2018, 08:14 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

lol to which question? You keep changing it

I'll make it simple:

The thread asked what would the pats do:
                      I do not know. But the stats indicate he would not select a QB and it more likely to go defense, or trade the pick.
                      Nope, asked you the same question twice and you didnít answer it. You instead refer to drafts from 30 years ago where the Browns had the #2 pick and the first QB (Dan McGwire) was selected at 16, as if that has any correlation whatsoever to what Belichick would do in the 2018 draft.

I will ask for the third time - Is it your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB who he rated as a franchise QB to take Chubb? Yes or no.

Comment

So now Belichick is a magician? He would just turn Webb into a Pro Bowl QB?

lol ... letís try to keep our feet on the ground here.
                        Yeah not like he has ever done that with other players before. He's not a magician, he is quite possibly the greatest football coach ever though. Guys that are good at coaching tend to get the most out of players. Sorry my answer doesn't line up perfectly with what you want to hear, doesn't make me wrong though.
                        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Nope, asked you the same question twice and you didnít answer it. You instead refer to drafts from 30 years ago
                          Nope, Stop putting words in my mouth please. Lets review boys and girls. You asked 2 questions in your initial post and title

What would the Pats do?
                          and

Do you think that Belichick would sit tight at #2 and draft a RB if he was in the Giants' shoes?
                          I was very clear that I would be answering statistically, which I did:

Since becoming HC of the pats in 2000, he has selected 10 defensive players in the 1st round, just 5 offensive players, and had no 1st round picks 5 times(either traded or taken away.) ....There is zero evidence he would select a QB.
                          Am I wrong? What about this statement has you so ruffled?

You then asked me this:

Is it your contention that Belichick would pass on a QB who he rated as a franchise QB to take Chubb?
                          I answered this already, despite the change of your question to include information not given about how Bill wold rate these Qbs. But, I'll answer again. I have no idea. The stats indicate he does not seem to value early QBs for whatever reasons. They indicate he seems to value defense. But this is a guess.

When I point out his history of not selecting a QB, you responded by pointing out that he has had the GOAT all this time. But that isnt as much of a rejection of the statistical evidence as it is evidence that the original question was a silly 1. Lets remember, you asked what would the coach of the greatest QB of all time do in the magical world of chocolate rainbows where he did not have the GOAT and had the 2nd overall pick. You then later added the qualifier that he thought 1 or more of these QBs was a franchise QB. Got anymore qualifiers you want to add to tip the scales to get the result you want? Ive answered with what I think Bill would do based on the only info we have. Ive even answered what I think we will do.

Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-14-2018, 09:00 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                            Yeah not like he has ever done that with other players before. He's not a magician, he is quite possibly the greatest football coach ever though. Guys that are good at coaching tend to get the most out of players. Sorry my answer doesn't line up perfectly with what you want to hear, doesn't make me wrong though.
                            You mean like how he turned Matt Cassell, Brian Hoyer, Jacoby Brissett and Ryan Mallett into franchise QBís?

Comment

BlueSanta excellent post.
                              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Nope, Stop putting words in my mouth please. Lets review boys and girls. You asked 2 questions in your initial post and title

and

I was very clear that I would be answering statistically, which I did:

Am I wrong? What about this statement has you so ruffled?

You then asked me this:

I answered this already, despite the change of your question to include information not given about how Bill wold rate these Qbs. But, I'll answer again. I have no idea. The stats indicate he does not seem to value early QBs for whatever reasons. They indicate he seems to value defense. But this is a guess.

When I point out his history of not selecting a QB, you responded by pointing out that he has had the GOAT all this time. But that isnt as much of a rejection of the statistical evidence as it is evidence that the original question was a silly 1. Lets remember, you asked what would the coach of the greatest QB of all time do in the magical world of chocolate rainbows where he did not have the GOAT and had the 2nd overall pick. You then later added the qualifier that he thought 1 or more of these QBs was a franchise QB. Got anymore qualifiers you want to add to tip the scales to get the result you want? Ive answered with what I think Bill would do based on the only info we have. Ive even answered what I think we will do.

lol ... you need to take a statistics class dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X