Difference of opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference of opinion

Out of curiosity in a situation where the GM and coaching staff differ on a player who gets the final say? Is the GM the end all be all? Does the coaching staff have the final say? Or does the owner step in and make the final call when something like this happens?

I would like to think that it would then default to a player that all can agree on given that the value and grade are close. That could lead to a potential trade down.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018...ld-josh-allen/

I'd say it depends on the team. It should be the GMs job although Im sure they all put in some say.
    2018 Draft Wishlist:
    1. Josh Allen QB Wyoming
    2. Sony Michel RB Georgia
    3. Conner Williams OT Texas OR Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma
    4. Rashaan Gaulden CB Tennessee

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

On a huge pick like #2, the owner may have some say as well.

Comment

Normally the GM but there is much collaboration in most war rooms. Mara has veto power...not necessarily that he would use though.

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
          I'd say it depends on the team. It should be the GMs job although Im sure they all put in some say.
          I would have to agree that the GM would have final say but as a head coach that has to be difficult. If the GM takes the guy you do think is worthy youíre screwed. If he fails then youíre looking for a job in 2-3 years because of a decision you had no part in making. That could lead to a toxic work environment and potentially turn off future candidates. This will be interesting to see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
            On a huge pick like #2, the owner may have some say as well.
            Yea I would think so. Does that lead to a situation of the precipitation of a meddling owner? With a pick this high and this important I think everyone should have no doubt about it. If everyone isnít on board then itís obvious itís not the right guy. This leads me to believe that we might trade the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
              Normally the GM but there is much collaboration in most war rooms. Mara has veto power...not necessarily that he would use though.
              Itís going to be fascinating to see how this plays out.

Comment

Coach wants a player for need, plug and play.
                GM wants a player for future need, wait a year to develope.
                So, Mara feels the need of the future outweighs the need for the present. TBD.
                Last edited by fifthavephil; 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X