Confidence going into the draft feels strange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence going into the draft feels strange

I wonder if anybody else feels this. I have confidence in the powers that be going into the draft this year, and that seems so strange. I feel that the Giants won't come out of this with another Flowers or Apple in the first round. My preference right now would be for Barkley, or to trade down, because I don't think any of the QBs is worthy of the No. 2 pick and I don't like the idea of taking Nelson that high and I'm not sure Chubb is that much better than one or two other DEs. But I'm confident that Gettleman and Shurmur and the others have done their homework. If they don't trust in Webb and they think their QB of the future is there, then I'm okay with taking him. Same with Nelson or Chubb or whoever. I just feel good about the people we have in charge now. I don't have that same sense of dread that I had with the previous regime, where I held my breath at each Giants pick and just hoped it wouldn't be a dud.

Nice breath of fresh air with this post. The giants aren't far removed from being contenders again. It takes a few pieces to complete the puzzle and I'm confident in the giants leadership to make a winning organization.

Comment

And welcome to the boards...don't let the negativity corrupt you.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapseats View Post
        I wonder if anybody else feels this. I have confidence in the powers that be going into the draft this year, and that seems so strange. I feel that the Giants won't come out of this with another Flowers or Apple in the first round. My preference right now would be for Barkley, or to trade down, because I don't think any of the QBs is worthy of the No. 2 pick and I don't like the idea of taking Nelson that high and I'm not sure Chubb is that much better than one or two other DEs. But I'm confident that Gettleman and Shurmur and the others have done their homework. If they don't trust in Webb and they think their QB of the future is there, then I'm okay with taking him. Same with Nelson or Chubb or whoever. I just feel good about the people we have in charge now. I don't have that same sense of dread that I had with the previous regime, where I held my breath at each Giants pick and just hoped it wouldn't be a dud.
        Well said.
        I do have confidence in the new staff's ability to make the right move.
        The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Well said.
          I do have confidence in the new staff's ability to make the right move.
          Agreed
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

Agreed
            Some on the board won't at the time of the pick.
            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Understandable feeling for a Giants fan.

However, until a full year passes, don't underestimate the "grass is greener" syndrome that is at play here.

Comment

And welcome to the boards...don't let the negativity corrupt you.

Comment

Originally posted by 455Buick View Post
                  Nice breath of fresh air with this post. The giants aren't far removed from being contenders again. It takes a few pieces to complete the puzzle and I'm confident in the giants leadership to make a winning organization.
                  I agree with you. Of course, if you are right about the Giants not being that far removed from being contenders again (and as I say, I agree with you), we'd have to acknowledge the positive role the previous regime (ie, Reese and Ross in particular) played in obtaining the talent that puts the Giants in that position. Very few here are willing to acknowledge that right now.

Comment

Hello parade...here comes some rain.

How are the Giants close to contending? They made the playoffs once in 6 years and were bounced in the first round, They are coming off a 3-13 season. If you were an outsider looking in you wouldn't take the Giants seriously...nor should you. As for Gettleman and all this faith in him ... I'm not so sure about that either. There was another thread in here about him not drafting an all pro in rd 1? Did I get that right? Hope so. I saw his list of picks and it's not overly impressive. Let's hope he gets it right here or he'll be gone quick.

Comment

Totally agree with you, there are players i like more than others but there are like 10 guys id be at least OK with the 2nd overall pick, i have hope for this new front office.....

...God, i hope we dont **** this up
                      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Canít do much worse than Flowers and Apple.

Would not not be good to whiff on 3 top 10 picks in 4 years. That would put us in the Browns class.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful responses and the welcoming messages for this first-time poster. Let me add that while I acknowledge that Reese and his staff made some good picks for us, what bothers me most is that they seemed to tip their hand too often, and they prepared too little for the what-if scenarios: What if our guy isn't there when our turn comes? (Answer: We get Flowers and Apple.) Also, I'm really bothered by two things I've read this offseason -- (1) that Reese didn't bother going down the road to Rutgers to do any scouting, and (2) that McAdoo never met Webb before drafting him in the third round. I know Rutgers isn't Clemson or Alabama, but they do play other schools and, if I'm not mistaken -- I should look this up, I know, and maybe I'm wrong -- I believe I read that the Patriots had three Rutgers players on their roster last season. The Patriots are pretty good, right? As for McAdoo, well, his performance speaks for itself.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful responses and the welcoming messages for this first-time poster. Let me add that while I acknowledge that Reese and his staff made some good picks for us, what bothers me most is that they seemed to tip their hand too often, and they prepared too little for the what-if scenarios: What if our guy isn't there when our turn comes? (Answer: We get Flowers and Apple.) Also, I'm really bothered by two things I've read this offseason -- (1) that Reese didn't bother going down the road to Rutgers to do any scouting, and (2) that McAdoo never met Webb before drafting him in the third round. I know Rutgers isn't Clemson or Alabama, but they do play other schools and, if I'm not mistaken -- I should look this up, I know, and maybe I'm wrong -- I believe I read that the Patriots had three Rutgers players on their roster last season. The Patriots are pretty good, right? As for McAdoo, well, his performance speaks for itself.
                            OK, I did look it up, and I WAS wrong. For what it's worth, the Patriots don't have three Rutgers players on their roster. They have four. The Giants have none.

And, yes, someone is sure to tell me that what it's worth is nothing. Maybe you're right.
                            Last edited by cheapseats; 04-14-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Let me add that while I acknowledge that Reese and his staff made some good picks for us, what bothers me most is that they seemed to tip their hand too often, and they prepared too little for the what-if scenarios: What if our guy isn't there when our turn comes? (Answer: We get Flowers and Apple.)
                              I agree and would add that Reese's successes and failures sometimes were the stroke of good or bad luck.

That being said I never cared for him in interviews; came across like an arrogant, defensive worm.

I like Gettleman's style so far; seems no nonsense to me. Same with Shurmur.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Working...
                              X