Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘This is the guy Dave wants’: The whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick ?????!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘This is the guy Dave wants’: The whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick ?????!!!

The Giants remain immersed in their draft preparation, hunkered down in a meeting room at the team facility, putting the final touches on their draft board. With the No. 2-overall pick, there is not much need for hand-wringing or premature angst about who might be available for them.

We are at T-minus 12 days and counting before the first round is underway. What does The Post know? Based on what is being said, what is being heard, what can be surmised and what should be considered educated guesswork, here we go:

— It still does not appear likely the Giants will take a quarterback, at least not with the No. 2 pick. Their extensive study of all the top prospects included dinner, tours of the team facility and plenty of football talk. By the end of this process, they will know all they need to know about Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. Impressions will be made, but the facts cannot be altered: The body of work of these players is not commensurate with what the Giants require the No. 2 pick to be.

“You got to do your due diligence when you’re there at second, if you don’t do to these workouts at No. 2 and you really don’t have an interest in these guys, then you’re tipping your hand,’’ a source with knowledge of the Giants’ draft thinking told The Post.

see also

Saquon Barkley spotted wearing Giants hoodie ahead of draft

Did Saquon Barkley just drop a Giant hint? The projected...

— The Giants view Saquon Barkley as a near-perfect prospect. They think he’s a better player than Ezekiel Elliott, who went No. 4 to the Cowboys in 2016. All Elliott has accomplished is average 104.6 yards in his 25 NFL games, along with 22 rushing touchdowns in two seasons. He also has an entire offense built around him. The main difference? Barkley is a far superior pass-catcher. Plus, there are absolutely no character issues or concerns with Barkley.

“I thought all along this is the guy Dave wants,’’ said a national NFL scout who knows Gettleman from crossing paths with him on the road over the years. “And he might get him, if Cleveland is dumb enough not to take him at No. 1.”

— There is no doubt North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb is in the mix. His visit with the Giants went extremely well — he made a positive impact on everyone in the building by wearing a suit, giving off an ultra-professional vibe — and there is an understanding if they pass him up, there is not another pass-rusher remotely close to his level. There is also this: With his first two picks as the general manager of the Panthers, Gettleman selected defensive linemen. And this: Gettleman believes you win with big people. Chubb does not exactly classify as one of Gettleman’s “hog-mollies’’ — mainly because he is so darn talented — but he is a physical force on the defensive line.

LINK

https://nypost.com/2018/04/14/this-i...nts-no-2-pick/

Pretty much what I've been thinking.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

If he picked McCaffrey at 8 overall, I doubt he passes on Barkley at 2 overall.

Run the ball
      Stop the run
      Rush the passer

That sounds like Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson to me.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post

Run the ball
        Stop the run
        Rush the passer

Good point

Comment

Run the ball
          Stop the run
          Rush the passer

I would agree.
          "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
          "No...I didn't."
          "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Most of all I like that no one really knows.

I heard Gil Brandt today on NFL radio refer to April as National Liars Month in the NFL.
            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
              Pretty much what I've been thinking.
              He has to get past Cleveland, and with the 4th pick, they can take Barkley and still get a QB. Bad news for the Giants, but the cancellation prize will be Chubb!
              Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjeep View Post

He has to get past Cleveland, and with the 4th pick, they can take Barkley and still get a QB. Bad news for the Giants, but the cancellation prize will be Chubb!
                It seems to me the browns want Darnold and Barkley......so do the Giants.....so if they take Barkley....do we pull the trigger on Darnold??

Comment

I don’t think the Browns will pass on their #1 QB with the first pick. Too risky to assume he’ll be there at 4

Comment

Originally posted by brownelvis54 View Post

It seems to me the browns want Darnold and Barkley......so do the Giants.....so if they take Barkley....do we pull the trigger on Darnold??
                    Giants don't seem to be high on these QB's and with Eli around for another two years, it's win now!
                    Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

If I've learned anything from past Giants drafts. Any person who is being claimed to be connected with the Giants is a player they aren't drafting. So if you hear rumors of the Giants liking Darnold... remove him from your "mental draft". Barkley being someone the Giants love? Remove him from your mental draft. I did hear this week that the Giants LOVED Bradley Chub at his visit... remove him from the board.

Quenton Nelson isn't being talking about at all in connection with the Giants being in love with him, so I think you place him on the draft board! :-)

It's a game of texas hold'em poker and people are constantly bluffing, elevating players to bait other teams to like them, etc.

Comment

Run the ball
                        Stop the run
                        Rush the passer

How about pass the ball? Seems to me that would be up there no?

Comment

You can also make the point of out of 5 drafts he has taken

3 RBs with his last pick in 3 Drafts (2013,14,15)
                          3 Corners with subsequent picks in one draft (2016) 2nd,3rd and 5th round
                          2 DT with his first overall pick (2013,16)
                          2 DTs with his 1st round and 2nd round picks (2013)

His 1st round picks were
                          2017 RB
                          2016 DT
                          2015 OLB
                          2014 WR
                          2013 DT

To say definitively he what he will do . i don't know if you can. IMO: Looking at this I would say DT 1st. A Corner with the 2nd. RB later in the Draft.
                          Last edited by TEM; 04-14-2018, 09:30 PM.
                          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Run the ball
                            Stop the run
                            Rush the passer

But, to run the ball you need a very good ( five man ) OL. If, we do indeed take Barkley, the next two picks better be OL.

Comment

Gotta wonder what reality is, and what the smoke screen is here.

Saquon and Chubb would be good options, but we have to draft a QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X