I hope we are bluffing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope we are bluffing...

...and that we are all in on taking a quarterback (hopefully Darnold)...

I understand the temptation for considering a huge haul if we trade back. However, let me argue against that temptation:

When is the next time we will be drafting #2, let alone the top 5, let alone the top 10? And when is the next sure thing coming out (it's not next year, that's for sure). I think if we move back and get a huge haul, there is a good likelihood that we will pick up a fair number (~4-5) of very good players. This will help the team undoubtedly. However, in the long run, this may be a curse as these players will be good enough from keeping us in the basement, but will leave us in the unenviable draft position of never being able to pick a legitimate franchise QB.

I love Nelson and Barkley, but I am no ALL IN on a qb.

Just my 2 cents.

Ideal Draft:

Round 1: Sam Darnold
    Round 2: Isaiah Wynn or Billy Price
    Round 3: Rasheem Greene
    Round 3: Holton Hill
    Round 4: Josey Jewell

Take QB in first... take Oline in 2nd... throw in a DB or RB in rds 3 -4. There you go... Super Bowl bound. (Kidding!)

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
      Take QB in first... take Oline in 2nd... throw in a DB or RB in rds 3 -4. There you go... Super Bowl bound. (Kidding!)
      If the giants feel like their QB is there at 2 I agree with that order

Comment

Originally posted by OdirtyB View Post

I understand the temptation for considering a huge haul if we trade back. However, let me argue against that temptation:

When is the next time we will be drafting #2, let alone the top 5, let alone the top 10? And when is the next sure thing coming out (it's not next year, that's for sure). I think if we move back and get a huge haul, there is a good likelihood that we will pick up a fair number (~4-5) of very good players. This will help the team undoubtedly. However, in the long run, this may be a curse as these players will be good enough from keeping us in the basement, but will leave us in the unenviable draft position of never being able to pick a legitimate franchise QB.

Just my 2 cents.

Ideal Draft:

Who is your pick if Darnold is gone?

Comment

Darnold might be the consensus No. 1, but I don't know that you can say any QB is "the next sure thing" in this draft. If there was one, why would there be so much difference of opinion on which QB is best? I've also read and heard lots of expert opinion in favor of Rosen, Allen and Mayfield for a top-five pick, even No. 1 (at least for Rosen and Allen). IMHO, there's NO sure thing here. Each QB has serious flaws or reasons for doubt. I'd stay away.

Oh, and I think there are enough cases of standout QBs coming from later in the draft (wasn't Brady a seventh-rounder?) that I don't buy the argument you have to draft high to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Who is your pick if Darnold is gone?
            I really, really hope Darnold is there (and would even consider trading up). If he is not, I would go with Mayfield. I am scared of Rosen's attitude and concussion history. I am scared of Allen's inaccuracy.

As to cheapseats' point of getting a QB later, look at last year's playoff QBs:

Mariota: #1 pick overall
            Smith: #1 pick overall
            Brady
            Taylor (Buf): 3rd round pick
            Bortles (Jax): top 5 overall pick...awesome D
            Ryan (Atl): 3rd overall pick
            Goff (LA): #1 overall pick
            Wentz (Phi): 2nd overall pick
            Keenum: later round...awesome D
            Newton: #1 overall pick
            Brees: 2nd round

So of all the playoff QBs, 7 of the 12 were top 5 overall picks
            1 was Brady
            1 was Brees
            1 was Taylor
            2 were later round QBs with amazing defenses.

Comment

You don't have to convince me. Yes QB can be risky if you fall for Mayfield , Quinn, Manziel, RG3, Lamar Jax...of which I wouldn't have taken any. But when you see real talent that can be molded and , given the proper tutelage , can become something... you take them. Talking Rosen, Darnold or Allen.

Comment

QB's win championships.

Comment

So I have asked this before of the people who are advocating for "a QB pick." What if the front office doesnt love any of these QBs? I ask this because there are a number of scouts who are saying that this QB class is overrated. I agree that QB is a huge need going forward. It is likely the biggest need. But I simply do not advocate we select a guy we think will be mediocre just because "he is a QB," which is what I am seeing here on the forums. Lets assume the draft was yesterday and we didn't select a QB because the 1 guy our front office thought was going to thrive in the NFL was selected by the Browns, and as a result, we select Barkley or trade back. If this scenario unfolds there will be any number of posters who come to the forum angry we did not "select a QB," and that is just insane. You do not draft positions, you draft players..
                  sigpic

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

Ideal Draft:

I will argue that there is not one clear cut franchise QB in this entire draft. there are a few guys with potential after a few years of sitting behind eli, but do you risk that with the #2 pick? they still have an unknown in webb, and if they are trying to win with eli now, as it seems they are, that #2 pick has to pay immediate dividends. the huge haul as you call it would actually arm them with picks to move up in a future draft. sam darnold looks great when throwing in shorts, not so great with a defense in his face. he should have stayed at usc.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

Ideal Draft:

I agree we need a QB but I'm not high on Darnold. Happy feet in the pocket and a turnover machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
                        So I have asked this before of the people who are advocating for "a QB pick." What if the front office doesnt love any of these QBs? I ask this because there are a number of scouts who are saying that this QB class is overrated. I agree that QB is a huge need going forward. It is likely the biggest need. But I simply do not advocate we select a guy we think will be mediocre just because "he is a QB," which is what I am seeing here on the forums. Lets assume the draft was yesterday and we didn't select a QB because the 1 guy our front office thought was going to thrive in the NFL was selected by the Browns, and as a result, we select Barkley or trade back. If this scenario unfolds there will be any number of posters who come to the forum angry we did not "select a QB," and that is just insane. You do not draft positions, you draft players..
                        If we don't take a QB, I would love Chubbs.

Comment

I agree with this

Comment

This is the sentiment of most on the board. There is only a handful of QB or nothing members pusing their definitives. I think most will be fine with whatever the FO does.
                            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

I really, really hope Darnold is there (and would even consider trading up). If he is not, I would go with Mayfield. I am scared of Rosen's attitude and concussion history. I am scared of Allen's inaccuracy.

As to cheapseats' point of getting a QB later, look at last year's playoff QBs:

Mariota: #1 pick overall
                              Smith: #1 pick overall
                              Brady
                              Taylor (Buf): 3rd round pick
                              Bortles (Jax): top 5 overall pick...awesome D
                              Ryan (Atl): 3rd overall pick
                              Goff (LA): #1 overall pick
                              Wentz (Phi): 2nd overall pick
                              Keenum: later round...awesome D
                              Newton: #1 overall pick
                              Brees: 2nd round

So of all the playoff QBs, 7 of the 12 were top 5 overall picks
                              1 was Brady
                              1 was Brees
                              1 was Taylor
                              2 were later round QBs with amazing defenses.
                              These are meaningless. 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls were won by non 1st round QBs. It's also meaningless because if we think one of these guys is great and he is there we will pick him. If we don't think one is great then we will pick a different position.
                              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Working...
                              X