Ex-Giants GM option hints he knows about No. 2 pick plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Giants GM option hints he knows about No. 2 pick plans

"Louis Riddick is not a Giants insider, but he might know something that outsiders do not.

If that is the case, then expect this: The Giants will eschew taking a quarterback in the upcoming draft, opting instead to use the No. 2-overall pick on Penn State running back Saquon Barkley.

“I have a feeling that there is a strong, strong, strong sentiment within that building for Saquon Barkley, based upon my experience there, if you know what I mean,’’ Riddick said Monday on a conference call.

Was Riddick winking slyly when he said that? There was no way to tell that over the phone, but clearly, he believes he knows something that others might not.

Back on Dec. 21, the Giants were saddled with a record of 2-12, having already fired their head coach and general manager when they interviewed Riddick for the GM position left vacant when Jerry Reese was dismissed, a position that went to Dave Gettleman. Riddick, an ESPN analyst with strong NFL ties as a former player and personnel executive, met with Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch and also Ernie Accorsi, the former general manager hired as a consultant for the search. The Giants’ power brokers did not clue Riddick in on everything relating to the team, but, based on spending time with the owners, Riddick believes Barkley should and will be the pick.

“I think Saquon Barkley is just a special kid, I really do,” Riddick said. “I think he will help Eli [Manning] because he will give him someone who he can turn around and hand the ball off to between 25 and 28 times a game.”

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/ex-gia...-2-pick-plans/
    Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Yeah I'm starting to get bummed out. I can see Gettleman screwing this up. He seems like he wants to turn this org. around in the short term to make himself beloved to the fanbase. The whole front office seems seems scared of the fans ever since Eli got benched.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
      Yeah I'm starting to get bummed out. I can see Gettleman screwing this up. He seems like he wants to turn this org. around in the short term to make himself beloved to the fanbase. The whole front office seems seems scared of the fans ever since Eli got benched.
      thats no to run a business. These guys are billionaires and know what they are doing so 100% without a doubt you’re wrong. If they like a qb they will take him.

Drafting a qb also helps the coaches, there will be less pressure to win right away. So the only way they pass on a qb is if they think they can still win with Eli over anyone else that might be available when we pick.

Comment

There is nothing here.
        Riddick is out on an island just talking which is what he is paid to do in his current job.

Conjecture would be the best way to describe his comments. He has no credible insight based on interviewing for the GM position.
        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post

thats no to run a business. These guys are billionaires and know what they are doing so 100% without a doubt you’re wrong. If they like a qb they will take him.

Drafting a qb also helps the coaches, there will be less pressure to win right away. So the only way they pass on a qb is if they think they can still win with Eli over anyone else that might be available when we pick.
          Are you kidding? “These guys are billionaires and know what they are doing”? Who is “they”?

Comment

Drafting Barkley is far from "screwing this up." Especially if Darnold is drafted #1 as expected. I won't continue to list all the reasons in every thread, but Barkley is the only player who will have an immediate impact on the entire team. He's an instant jolt to our offense and to Eli's career.

Besides maybe Darnold, every QB in this draft is being overrated and all have glaring issues. You don't draft someone for the sake of drafting them if the value isn't there. Barkley is one of very few considered to be a can't miss prospect in this years draft. He'd be an absolute monster for us for the next 6-10 years.

Also, this notion the FO is scared to draft a QB b/c of the fans is a joke. They simply believe, if given time and a proper running game, Eli can still be effective. I tend to agree.
            NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
            Garrett Bolles - OT
            David Njoku - TE
            Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Originally posted by mrmeng View Post

Are you kidding? “These guys are billionaires and know what they are doing”? Who is “they”?
              The guys who the poster I quoted was talking about.

Comment

It just seems like 90% of the fanbase does not want a qb. And the fans dictated who would start at the end of the season too. Everyone just thinks Eli is good and young and....This team is close and can win it all. And Barkley is going to turn it all around. Everything I disagree with

Comment

It just seems like 90% of the fanbase does not want a qb. And the fans dictated who would start at the end of the season too. Everyone just thinks Eli is good and young and....This team is close and can win it all. And Barkley is going to turn it all around. Everything I disagree with
                  do yourself a favor and stop believing your own BS. just because you imagined some nonsense in your head, does not make it true. Try to change your own narrative. Talk to your brain. tell it to stop. Otherwise the draft might make you crazy. Tell yourself, that whatever the Giants do will be better than what my or your or anyone's tiny brain Thinks it should do. "Dear brain: Whatever the Giants do is the right move, not what you think".

Just some friendly advice.

I AM NOT MY MONKEY MIND!
                  https://www.google.com/search?q=I+AM...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                  Last edited by bigpoppy; 04-16-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t read into it that much.

Barkley is a Larry Fitz / Calvin Johnson type of prospect. Incredibly rare. Character, talent, and production completely off the charts. To pass on him the pull for a QB has to be very strong. Incredibly strong.

I want Sam Darnold if they can get him but in no way could I possibly consider Barkley a “mistake” or a screw up.

In the end accumulating the best players you can is the name of the game.

Comment

do the giants want barkley so bad that theyre rejecting trades from teams that want a QB to pick him?

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post

I wouldn’t read into it that much.

In the end accumulating the best players you can is the name of the game.
                        Agreed, elementary.

No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                          There is nothing here.
                          Riddick is out on an island just talking which is what he is paid to do in his current job.

Conjecture would be the best way to describe his comments. He has no credible insight based on interviewing for the GM position.
                          agreed. and i highly doubt, knowing that Riddick works as an analyst for ESPN, that the owners would divulge what they want to do in the draft. Because if they dont hire him, as they didnt, then Riddick has all info on what the Giants will do. And he could do exactly this, trying to say what he thinks they would do.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post

would make sense for Shurmur's 5 year deal too. That's a very long deal, one that matches up with a rookie 1st round picks deal.

McAdoo only got a 4 year deal, so it is curious that Shurmur got 5.

Comment

My fear is a team trades up for the 1 spot and takes Barkley!
                              Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Working...
                              X