This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
    In past years of the contest you get points for getting a player correct regardless of the round he was selected in or predicted to be in. For instance I had R.J. Mcintosh in the 4th round, but he was selected in the 5th round in the real draft by the Giants. I'd get points for that. The same with Bigpoppy getting Lorenzo Carter correct. I was confused as to why he lost when he got two players correct.

As seen in the original contest:
    http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...k-contest-2016

Yeah, I totally whipped out the rule book. I'm like the ref of the contest. :P
    I gave points for Player , Position , and school, (all in the round) you got one correct you received points. . The player had to be in the right spot. GMs don't get points for misses. If someone wrote Barkley in every round , should they have won because he is the right name but out of order for the other 5 rounds?
    Technically that is what you are saying.
    Last edited by TEM; 05-02-2018, 08:47 PM.
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I gave points for Player , Position , and school, (all in the round) you got one correct you received points. . The player had to be in the right spot. GMs don't get points for misses. If some one wrote Barkley in every round , should they have won because he is the right name but out of order for the other 5 rounds?
      Technically that is what you are saying.
      If someone did that they would only get points for getting him correct in one round. The player is only selected once. They could get extra points if another RB was selected in another round (position credit) and they had Barkley in that round too but no credit for getting him correct again. The reason why that was inserted into the official rules in prior contests is because in later rounds no one is going to get them correct. We are lucky we only had up until the 5th round because if we had picks in the 7th round you mind as well just close your eyes and draw a name out of a hat because 5th round graded talent will get drafted in the 7th round. Heck, the entire Giant's draft this year was a bunch of picks graded one round prior getting selected. As someone else mentioned, basically all you had to do is get the first round correct and you could win this year's contest with ease because it was too difficult to rack up points in later rounds.

The "correct player chosen in any round" should be part of the contest going forward as it was in prior years.

I hosted the contest last year. Here's a link to that one if anyone wants to copy and paste the rules next year:
      http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...k-contest-2017

The reason why I say that is because I had to reverse engineer the contest rules from titwio's original contest thread. For whatever reason you can't simply copy and paste his original contest rules and have all of the formatting present and you can't try to quote his post and extract the text out of it either. I had to go within the HTML of the website and grab it there. Not for the faint of heart. If you guys want to continue the contest just go into my thread I listed above, quote my original post, and copy all of the text in there. Then you can paste it in a new contest thread. That should save you the headache!

I liked the original contest more. The whole trade scenario thing is just too difficult to get correct and isn't even worth doing since the probability you will get it wrong is greater than if you just stayed put and selected a player.
      Last edited by compaqnigg; 05-02-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

If someone did that they would only get points for getting him correct in one round. The player is only selected once. They could get extra points if another RB was selected in another round (position credit) and they had Barkley in that round too but no credit for getting him correct again. The reason why that was inserted into the official rules in prior contests is because in later rounds no one is going to get them correct. We are lucky we only had up until the 5th round because if we had picks in the 7th round you mind as well just close your eyes and draw a name out of a hat because 5th round graded talent will get drafted in the 7th round. Heck, the entire Giant's draft this year was a bunch of picks graded one round prior getting selected. As someone else mentioned, basically all you had to do is get the first round correct and you could win this year's contest with ease because it was too difficult to rack up points in later rounds.

The "correct player chosen in any round" should be part of the contest going forward as it was in prior years.

I hosted the contest last year. Here's a link to that one if anyone wants to copy and paste the rules next year:
        http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...k-contest-2017

The reason why I say that is because I had to reverse engineer the contest rules from titwio's original contest thread. For whatever reason you can't simply copy and paste his original contest rules and have all of the formatting present and you can't try to quote his post and extract the text out of it either. I had to go within the HTML of the website and grab it there. Not for the faint of heart. If you guys want to continue the contest just go into my thread I listed above, quote my original post, and copy all of the text in there. Then you can paste it in a new contest thread. That should save you the headache!

I liked the original contest more. The whole trade scenario thing is just too difficult to get correct and isn't even worth doing since the probability you will get it wrong is greater than if you just stayed put and selected a player.
        Tdawg got the 1st right and in the 3rd the position correct . He won and deserved to. Writing a essay is not going to change it.
        "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Tdawg got the 1st right and in the 3rd the position correct . He won and deserved to. Writing a essay is not going to change it.
          I'm just saying that the original version by Titwio should be used next year. Not that many people joined this year's mock draft contest because it was too complicated and intimidating compared to the prior version.

By your own rules BigPoppy is the winner: "10 pts for getting the right player and position in the right round". He had Lorenzo Carter being selected in the 3rd Round. Order doesn't matter according to your rules. It is the round that matters. Ha! Prove me wrong ;-)

I'm like the head referee that people buzz into in NY when a play is challenged on the field. I know the rule book.

BigPoppy won!
          Last edited by compaqnigg; 05-03-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I'm just saying that the original version by Titwio should be used next year. Not that many people joined this year's mock draft contest because it was too complicated and intimidating compared to the prior version.

By your own rules BigPoppy is the winner: "10 pts for getting the right player and position in the right round". He had Lorenzo Carter being selected in the 3rd Round. Order doesn't matter according to your rules. It is the round that matters. Ha! Prove me wrong ;-)

I'm like the head referee that people buzz into in NY when a play is challenged on the field. I know the rule book.

BigPoppy won!
            The pick had had to correlate to the round and number.

If you had a problem with the rules , Then why agree to the rulers before the draft. Now after the draft pick apart the things you disagree with that kind of indicates a self serving attitude . Why were yo not inclined to bring this up before the draft? I would have been open to before the draft. I am not changing the rules after the fact because you say so. I eliminated myself for getting a pick number incorrect from that selection.

Tdawg won. period.

Just let it go and stop acting like a sore looser.

Comment

The pick had had to correlate to the round and number.

If you had a problem with the rules , Then why agree to the rulers before the draft. Now after the draft pick apart the things you disagree with that kind of indicates a self serving attitude . Why were yo not inclined to bring this up before the draft? I would have been open to before the draft. I am not changing the rules after the fact because you say so. I eliminated myself for getting a pick number incorrect from that selection.

Tdawg won. period.

Just let it go and stop acting like a sore looser.
              TEM's thread. TEM's Rules. TEM's interpretation of the rules. Period. Tdawg won fair & square.

TY TEM for spending the time running the contest on all of our behalf for our enjoyment. It was fun. We all win if we enjoyed it and had fun. Thanks again, TEM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

TEM's thread. TEM's Rules. TEM's interpretation of the rules. Period. Tdawg won fair & square.

TY TEM for spending the time running the contest on all of our behalf for our enjoyment. It was fun. We all win if we enjoyed it and had fun. Thanks again, TEM.
                Thanks poppy Keep the faith . We are going to light it up this upcoming season

Comment

Working...
                X