• Show
Clear All

• Why so little action in UDFA?

Looking at the signings:

Giants only signed 7
    Cowboys signed 15
    Eagles signed 13
    Redskins signed 10

This is after the Giants only had 6 draft choices, much less than the other 3 NFC East teams. The more UDFAs you bring in, the better the odds of you hitting on one.

I thought for sure since we only had 6 picks, we would reel in quite a few UDFA guys. I thought we would get a bunch of OLinemen and CBs too. Guess not.
    http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Looking at the signings:

Giants only signed 7
    Cowboys signed 15
    Eagles signed 13
    Redskins signed 10

This is after the Giants only had 6 draft choices, much less than the other 3 NFC East teams. The more UDFAs you bring in, the better the odds of you hitting on one.

I thought for sure since we only had 6 picks, we would reel in quite a few UDFA guys. I thought we would get a bunch of OLinemen and CBs too. Guess not.
    Gettleman said they were targeting specific players not just bringing in a bunch of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

Gettleman said they were targeting specific players not just bringing in a bunch of guys.
      AH, ok. Didnt hear that. Still though. The more guys you bring in the better chances you have at nailing a gem.

Comment

"targeting specific players..." That no one's ever heard of? Who are these guys? Never heard of not a one of 'em. Meanwhile, I think the Jaguars and Broncos brought in some decent quality guys.

Comment

Originally posted by u2good View Post
          "targeting specific players..." That no one's ever heard of? Who are these guys? Never heard of not a one of 'em. Meanwhile, I think the Jaguars and Broncos brought in some decent quality guys.
          most undrafted free agents are unknowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

most undrafted free agents are unknowns.
            I would have liked to see our list have about 5 or 6 OLinemen on it though. And 5 or 6 CBs too. Those are the guys we should target. I mean, how do the Cowboys bring in more UDFA OLinemen than us?

Comment

I would have liked to see our list have about 5 or 6 OLinemen on it though. And 5 or 6 CBs too. Those are the guys we should target.
              I don't think the process of signing these players is complete nor is any of it official.

Comment

AH, ok. Didnt hear that. Still though. The more guys you bring in the better chances you have at nailing a gem.
                Yes his quote was exactly that. Target certain players and if that gets them to 90 fine. But if it only gets us to 80 or 85 players that's fine to.

I don't get it. I agree with you. The more you invite the more you have a shot of finding a gem or two
                Football has been very, very good to us.
                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                4-New York Giants!!!
                5-NE
                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

You’ve probably seen this already. The G-Men added their 8th:

Evan Brown, C, SMU

Comment

I think part of it is the sheer number of IR we carried last year. UFA are primarily camp bodies, and our roster is quite large already with guys coming back from IR. Gettleman will bring in some; but more likely won't go nuts this year with them. It's going to be hard enough for Shurmer to sort through the existing players without adding a ton more.

Comment

I was surprised how fast and how many sign early.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
                        I was surprised how fast and how many sign early.
                        Yeah, they already know by the 6th round if they dont get drafted who they want to sign with. Its a crazy process.

Its like "You arent good enough to be our 7th round pick, but if you slip through to the UDFA, please sign with our team!"

Comment

There's a UDFA cap. Gettleman has said in the past (with Norwell for instance when he signed him) that he will pay whatever it takes to get his guys. If there's a UDFA he really wants, he will spend the majority of the cap on that player of he has to. He doesn't care. It is very possible he used all of his cap to get those guys because he really wanted them.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqnigg View Post
                            There's a UDFA cap. Gettleman has said in the past (with Norwell for instance when he signed him) that he will pay whatever it takes to get his guys. If there's a UDFA he really wants, he will spend the majority of the cap on that player of he has to. He doesn't care. It is very possible he used all of his cap to get those guys because he really wanted them.
                            or he is saving cap space for some free agent pieces, may be an offensive linemen may be a wide receiver like Dez or Cruz?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

or he is saving cap space for some free agent pieces, may be an offensive linemen may be a wide receiver like Dez or Cruz?
                              It’s a different cap. UDFA won’t count against the actual cap until they make the active roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X