2013college yr and also 2014 NFL draft prospects thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Travis Wilson QB Utah is intriguing kid. Hes doing great against BYU tonite and zipping the ball with great accuracy, hitting recievers in stride between the numbers. Hes made all the neccesary touch passes and zipped the ball into some tight spaces for completions. I've been really impressed.
    Yeah he isnt eligible but he he could be a top QB in next years draft. I saw him on NFLDraftScouts QB rankings last week when I looked for more info on him while I was watching Oregon State.He was ranked 5th behind Mariotta,Hundley,Hogan, and Manziel. You know whats really strange last year he had 60 rushes for 40 yards 4 TD's for the season. This year 32 carries 251 yards 5TD's .He torched Oregon St with his legs for 142 yards. He really isnt a runner but if u dont defend it he will run. I hope the next Giants QB has some legs. He doesnt have to be Kaepernick :Although we both loved Kaep" but just someone who if he has a lane can get a first down. It drives me nuts when teams play man down the field and if Eli just had even a little athletic ability he could get a 3rd and 8 with his legs

Comment

• Mock Draft time. After a 38-0 beating by the lowly panthers. Ugh! I got us picking 7th right now. So heres my mock..

1). Bradly Roby CB Ohio St- Very talented corner with the size/speed combo desired on the outside. This kids got Joe Haden feel to em.

2). Gabe Jackson G Missippi St- I know i've talked many times about this guy, but hes a nasty G with a widebase and is pure strength. Hes exactly what the Gmen need on the interior of the oline. We can keep pugh at RT, with Jackson inside..

3). Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN- Extremley active MLB with a long frame(albeit great muscle definiton and not scrawny), who is always involved in the play, and reminds me so much of the older GIants LB's of yesterday..

4). Weston Richburg C Colorado St- I watched him alot against Bama, and liked what i saw overall.. Baas is toast after this yr and we'll need a legit future replacement.

5). Deone Bucannon S Washington St- This kid grew on me last night, as i watched alot of his game vs Idaho(money on it.lol). A This kids big and strong, supports the run, makes picks..etc Hes a huge sleeper of mine now..

6). Will Clarke DE W.Virginia- Caught my eye yeseterday against Maryland. Again, great size, good in pursuit and has great length to bat down balls. Could probably be tweener, that slides inside at times on rush downs.

7). Rob Blanchflower TE Umass- Had 7catches VS Vandy yesterday, and 40plus last yr.. Hes listed at 260 and he holds on to the ball most of the times, even when getting wacked.. Hes got sleeper status in my book.

Comment

Mock Draft time. After a 38-0 beating by the lowly panthers. Ugh! I got us picking 7th right now. So heres my mock..

1). Bradly Roby CB Ohio St- Very talented corner with the size/speed combo desired on the outside. This kids got Joe Haden feel to em.

2). Gabe Jackson G Missippi St- I know i've talked many times about this guy, but hes a nasty G with a widebase and is pure strength. Hes exactly what the Gmen need on the interior of the oline. We can keep pugh at RT, with Jackson inside..

3). Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN- Extremley active MLB with a long frame(albeit great muscle definiton and not scrawny), who is always involved in the play, and reminds me so much of the older GIants LB's of yesterday..

4). Weston Richburg C Colorado St- I watched him alot against Bama, and liked what i saw overall.. Baas is toast after this yr and we'll need a legit future replacement.

5). Deone Bucannon S Washington St- This kid grew on me last night, as i watched alot of his game vs Idaho(money on it.lol). A This kids big and strong, supports the run, makes picks..etc Hes a huge sleeper of mine now..

6). Will Clarke DE W.Virginia- Caught my eye yeseterday against Maryland. Again, great size, good in pursuit and has great length to bat down balls. Could probably be tweener, that slides inside at times on rush downs.

7). Rob Blanchflower TE Umass- Had 7catches VS Vandy yesterday, and 40plus last yr.. Hes listed at 260 and he holds on to the ball most of the times, even when getting wacked.. Hes got sleeper status in my book.
        This is kind of what im thinking will happen if we pick in this range. They will take a Dlineman or the best player in the secondary they can get. I dont see them taking an OT even though the value for 1 could be very good. I then see us taking either a LB or Interior Lineman at the top of round 2. I think 1 or both will also be signed as FA's. Chris Snee is due 10 million next season but if we cut him we save almost 8 million in cap space. That 8 million could fetch a damn good lineman in FA. As Ive said the Giants have money tied up in the line its just not being used wisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
          This is kind of what im thinking will happen if we pick in this range. They will take a Dlineman or the best player in the secondary they can get. I dont see them taking an OT even though the value for 1 could be very good. I then see us taking either a LB or Interior Lineman at the top of round 2. I think 1 or both will also be signed as FA's. Chris Snee is due 10 million next season but if we cut him we save almost 8 million in cap space. That 8 million could fetch a damn good lineman in FA. As Ive said the Giants have money tied up in the line its just not being used wisely.
          Agreed fully. All though, i do like Jake Mathews, i think a more skilled positon is nessecary. I woulden't be upset if we went with Mathews, but think there is a better way to go, like Roby, Barr(gone prob), Van Noy, or even Sammy Watkins..

Comment

Agreed fully. All though, i do like Jake Mathews, i think a more skilled positon is nessecary. I woulden't be upset if we went with Mathews, but think there is a better way to go, like Roby, Barr(gone prob), Van Noy, or even Sammy Watkins..
            If we pick a WR they might call Reese Millen 2

Giant beat writer Ralph Vacchiano thinks the Giants not getting a starter between rounds 3-7 for 5 drafts is a crap stat

Jmpasq ‏@Jmpasq 7h
            @RVacchianoNYDN @jjeyedoc U mean not draft 1 starter from rounds 3-7 for 5 straight drafts yeah great job

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 6h
            @jmpasq How is that a measurement? Six starters came from Rounds 1-2 those years. Ton of other draft picks are starting.

wrote back this a few minutes ago he hasnt responded
            @RVacchianoNYDN Last time I checked u needed 22 starters. Im sorry but 25 picks without 1 starter is just a terrible job

Comment

If we pick a WR they might call Reese Millen 2

Giant beat writer Ralph Vacchiano thinks the Giants not getting a starter between rounds 3-7 for 5 drafts is a crap stat

Jmpasq ‏@Jmpasq 7h
              @RVacchianoNYDN @jjeyedoc U mean not draft 1 starter from rounds 3-7 for 5 straight drafts yeah great job

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 6h
              @jmpasq How is that a measurement? Six starters came from Rounds 1-2 those years. Ton of other draft picks are starting.

wrote back this a few minutes ago he hasnt responded
              @RVacchianoNYDN Last time I checked u needed 22 starters. Im sorry but 25 picks without 1 starter is just a terrible job
              Thats not true. Reese got Mario in RD3(not here), Randle in RD2, Jerrnigan in RD3(not working out to this point), Barden in RD3(not here), Hixon via trade, Nicks in the 1st..

Hakeem is the only first rd pick WR and he was taken very late RD1. Also, Nicks is a FA after this yr and might not return, so WR would be a need, especially with Jerny showing nothing to this point, and Murphy looking like a early season FA bust.. Watkins would play perfect as a deep threat to Cruzs slot, and they'd make a formidable duo with Randle continuing 3rd WR duties... I love Watkins.

As for ur convo with Ralph, i love it and agree fully with you. Reese is falling off, and the funny part is, I have soured on the drafts leading up to alll this, and got trashed for it. Basically for being honest. Any one who knows anything could see this coming. Theres definetly some talent here, but Reese has really dropped the ball the past few drafts..

Comment

Thats not true. Reese got Mario in RD3(not here), Randle in RD2, Jerrnigan in RD3(not working out to this point), Barden in RD3(not here), Hixon via trade, Nicks in the 1st..

Hakeem is the only first rd pick WR and he was taken very late RD1. Also, Nicks is a FA after this yr and might not return, so WR would be a need, especially with Jerny showing nothing to this point, and Murphy looking like a early season FA bust.. Watkins would play perfect as a deep threat to Cruzs slot, and they'd make a formidable duo with Randle continuing 3rd WR duties... I love Watkins.

As for ur convo with Ralph, i love it and agree fully with you. Reese is falling off, and the funny part is, I have soured on the drafts leading up to alll this, and got trashed for it. Basically for being honest. Any one who knows anything could see this coming. Theres definetly some talent here, but Reese has really dropped the ball the past few drafts..
                He replied back this morning
                Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 22m
                @jmpasq Starters come in a variety of ways. Free agency, UDFAs count for a GM, too.

I dont get how people can defend this. I got into it with a Giant fan last night over the same topic. Jacquain Williams is the Best player we have drafted from round 3-7 in 5 drafts.Not even the starters but how many of those give us anything

Look at Reeses first draft. Not saying u have to do this every draft but he had more hits here then he had combined in the last 5 drafts.All these guys contributed even if it was only a season or 2.

Ross

Smith-

Alford- Situation player looked like he was going to break out got hurt still made plays. Started 3 games

Boss- started 3 and half seasons

Deossie - Special teams ace

MJohnson Started 35 games

Koets - back up lineman played in 8 games in his last year starting 4

Bradshaw - 920 carries 33 starts

Even the guys who didnt play much when they were called upon did the job. These 3rd to 7th round guys dont have to be Bradshaw but if they can give the Giants quality in the short term thats fine. I feel like a lot of Reeses picks do nothing, they fail completely

Comment

He replied back this morning
                  Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 22m
                  @jmpasq Starters come in a variety of ways. Free agency, UDFAs count for a GM, too.

I dont get how people can defend this. I got into it with a Giant fan last night over the same topic. Jacquain Williams is the Best player we have drafted from round 3-7 in 5 drafts.Not even the starters but how many of those give us anything

Look at Reeses first draft. Not saying u have to do this every draft but he had more hits here then he had combined in the last 5 drafts.All these guys contributed even if it was only a season or 2.

Ross

Smith-

Alford- Situation player looked like he was going to break out got hurt still made plays. Started 3 games

Boss- started 3 and half seasons

Deossie - Special teams ace

MJohnson Started 35 games

Koets - back up lineman played in 8 games in his last year starting 4

Bradshaw - 920 carries 33 starts

Even the guys who didnt play much when they were called upon did the job. These 3rd to 7th round guys dont have to be Bradshaw but if they can give the Giants quality in the short term thats fine. I feel like a lot of Reeses picks do nothing, they fail completely
                  I remember you having talking about how you had a bad feeling about this yrs team becuase of all the reese misses in the draft and the suspect draft this past yr also.

And again, ur 100pct correct. I mean, guys like Koets stepped in and played well, even if only sparingly. Now a days, guys don't even show up and some of em can barley see the field and when they do, do almost nothing(guys like Jerny, Austin, Barden, Beckum, Sintim, Brewer,..etc) Obviously, i don't blame reesee for all them, because some of em were actually good picks that just didn't work out, but still, hes got a very suspect draft record now and if we continue to play this way, his most recent classes and FA aquistions are gonna have us in the top 10, which we haven't seen since ELI... Thats not good. I still want Reese to stick around, but i'm hoping this is the yr he gets back to picking values and talented players. I can deal with those ones not hitting more then the reaches.

Comment

I remember you having talking about how you had a bad feeling about this yrs team becuase of all the reese misses in the draft and the suspect draft this past yr also.

And again, ur 100pct correct. I mean, guys like Koets stepped in and played well, even if only sparingly. Now a days, guys don't even show up and some of em can barley see the field and when they do, do almost nothing(guys like Jerny, Austin, Barden, Beckum, Sintim, Brewer,..etc) Obviously, i don't blame reesee for all them, because some of em were actually good picks that just didn't work out, but still, hes got a very suspect draft record now and if we continue to play this way, his most recent classes and FA aquistions are gonna have us in the top 10, which we haven't seen since ELI... Thats not good. I still want Reese to stick around, but i'm hoping this is the yr he gets back to picking values and talented players. I can deal with those ones not hitting more then the reaches.
                    Some of the picks I dont mind CHad Jones good player bad luck, AUstin was a risk with him not playing for a year didnt work out, Jernigan we got Cruz so its a wash . Brewer again where he was drafted fine. I just dont like reaching and missing. It seems like he is starting to get worse with his early picks as well. Everything is trending downwards,
                    Im the most worried about the lack of youth on the defense

Comment

Some of the picks I dont mind CHad Jones good player bad luck, AUstin was a risk with him not playing for a year didnt work out, Jernigan we got Cruz so its a wash . Brewer again where he was drafted fine. I just dont like reaching and missing. It seems like he is starting to get worse with his early picks as well. Everything is trending downwards,
                      Im the most worried about the lack of youth on the defense
                      Exactly. Also, picks like Hankins, Hosley, and even Randle were kinda trending downwards. Meaning, they looked better in the past and they kinda were trending downward as prospects more then just stealing them. Hankins was a 1st rd pick who lost some luster as a prospect, and Hosley fell way off from his nation leading 8pick jr season. Not saying i didn't like the Hosley pick though, but did feel he was trending downwards.

And how about Adrien Robinson??lol Are u kidding me reese?

Comment

• I didn't mind the barden, beckum, brown, austin, picks becuase i thought they were steals and great values where we got them. Sometimes guys just don't work out. I'd also put James Brewer and Adrien Tracy in that grouping. Those are some seriouslly productin Rove college players. But when ur taking Adrien Robinsons, David Wilsons, Justin Pughs , Hermans and cox's, and trading for Nassib, then i'm worndering, whats up??

Comment

• Whats ur take on Trent Murphy DE Stanford guys? Hes probably one of my fave 1st rd prospects but i can't get a read on where his value will land? I think hes a top 15 player all day. Hes the best player on a ridiculous defense and has a great long lean body and has a nice array of pass rush moves..

Comment

Whats ur take on Trent Murphy DE Stanford guys? Hes probably one of my fave 1st rd prospects but i can't get a read on where his value will land? I think hes a top 15 player all day. Hes the best player on a ridiculous defense and has a great long lean body and has a nice array of pass rush moves..
                            Good prospect. I think he translates a little more to 34 olb than a 43 DE, and I think he might lack the top end athleticism to make him a huge name. But, he is a very smart and disciplined football player. He uses his hands like an all pro. Its rare to see a college player that adept at shedding. He is excellent vs the read option, which is becoming more and more important in defenders these days.
                            sigpic

Comment

I didn't mind the barden, beckum, brown, austin, picks becuase i thought they were steals and great values where we got them. Sometimes guys just don't work out. I'd also put James Brewer and Adrien Tracy in that grouping. Those are some seriouslly productin Rove college players. But when ur taking Adrien Robinsons, David Wilsons, Justin Pughs , Hermans and cox's, and trading for Nassib, then i'm worndering, whats up??
                              See I view the Brewer and Robinson picks are somewhat identical. Both are players with crazy physical traits who were projects. Both came out with the physical tools to do the job in the NFL, they just lacked the experience and coaching to do it and you never know if they will take to that coaching.

Brewer has shown that he isn't capable of being a tackle. Despite good athleticism, measurable and excellent strength, he has shown he just doesn't have the footwork to be a tackle. His only chance now is at guard, in my opinion, and I think he is a backup at best.

We keep hearing how Robinson has progressed so much from year 1 to year 2, but we haven't seen him because of injury. Coach Pope kept saying how much he has come along. But, its just words until he gets on the field. I do think he is a bit more of an unknown, because of his injury this year. It is disappointing because I think we need a guy on the field who can block AND catch. Myers has shown no ability at all to block and has , in my opinion, been a liability on the field because of it.

I don't know about you, but I like what I have seen from Larry Donnell. I think he has a future. Right now, because of our lack of capable blockers on this team, I think Donnel should be played more at Myers expense. If we were just getting pressure up the middle I might think differently, but we are getting smoked on the edge too and a guy on the edge who can help our tackles vs these DE's is more useful to me than a guy who can catch slightly better but cannot block, like Myers.
                              sigpic

Comment

• [QUOTE=BlueSanta;891610]See I view the Brewer and Robinson picks are somewhat identical. Both are players with crazy physical traits who were projects. Both came out with the physical tools to do the job in the NFL, they just lacked the experience and coaching to do it and you never know if they will take to that coaching.

Brewer has shown that he isn't capable of being a tackle. Despite good athleticism, measurable and excellent strength, he has shown he just doesn't have the footwork to be a tackle. His only chance now is at guard, in my opinion, and I think he is a backup at best.

We keep hearing how Robinson has progressed so much from year 1 to year 2, but we haven't seen him because of injury. Coach Pope kept saying how much he has come along. But, its just words until he gets on the field. I do think he is a bit more of an unknown, because of his injury this year. It is disappointing because I think we need a guy on the field who can block AND catch. Myers has shown no ability at all to block and has , in my opinion, been a liability on the field because of it.

I don't know about you, but I like what I have seen from Larry Donnell. I think he has a future. Right now, because of our lack of capable blockers on this team, I think Donnel should be played more at Myers expense. If we were just getting pressure up the middle I might think differently, but we are getting smoked on the edge too and a guy on the edge who can help our tackles vs these DE's is more useful to me than a guy who can catch slightly better but cannot block, like Myers.[/QUOTE
                                Brewer was perdicted to go as early as late 2nd rd in some mocks, and was at least somewhat productive college player, as Robinson was nothing in college. I do agree, its similar as far as upside and measurables being awesome on both, but Brewer was more of a prospect then Robinson..ti

I agree about Donnell. No harm getting him out there a bit more and possibly helping David Wilson.. Hes a big target as well, and ELI has always preifered bigger targets in my opinon, outside of a coup exceptions(cruz and steve smith), and Donnell is a real big target!

Comment

Working...
                                X