Jay Bromley DT Syracuse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
    My problem with him is I do not know if he is an NFL DT or a DE. I suspect a few scouts are toiling with this question too. I think if he can go to the senior bowl/ combine and show a bit of a DE skillset then the question will be resolved and teams will be happier. If not I am notsure he is an every down DT in the NFL . His penetration is excellent but he isn't the stonewall you want in the middle. Zone blocking is very popular in the NFL right now and he doesn't have much experience vs it and the couple times he did face it he gave up some big holes.
    I understand what you mean, but this kid just seems to be one of those players that you can plug in ans he will.make plays. He can add on a few pounds and get to 300. He is 6'3. That's a big kid. He has a nastiness as well. I bet after the combine he will be shooting up the boards. People will start watching his tape.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      I understand what you mean, but this kid just seems to be one of those players that you can plug in ans he will.make plays. He can add on a few pounds and get to 300. He is 6'3. That's a big kid. He has a nastiness as well. I bet after the combine he will be shooting up the boards. People will start watching his tape.
      I do not mean to down talk him as a prospect. He is going to make a good NFL player.

My question about him being "stonewall" enough doesn't stem from his size. 285 is workable coming out of college. As you point out its not hard for him to reach 300lbs. The question is more about playstyle. He is very good at getting through gaps. I just don't know how good he is at controlling them yet.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't see the Giants going for a DT early on in the draft. Im thinking O-Line should be what they concentrate on then LB,CB and maybe DT in the late rounds. The kid from Wisconsin Beau Allen isn't bad 6'3 335 strong and powerful stops the run and collapses the pocket on passing downs.

Comment

And there it is STRICK! 3rd round?! Wow.

Comment

And there it is STRICK! 3rd round?! Wow.
            Yeah we talked about him early on. He played well at the Senior Bowl and had double digit sacks. He will be a good rotational DT early on IMO. 3rd still is earlier than I would have liked but at least it's a player I like
            sigpic
            S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
            __________________________________________________ ______
            Mock Draft
            1st) O.J Howard TE Bama 2nd) D. Walker DE F.S.U 3rd) S. Perine RB Oklahoma
            4th) E. Magnuson OT/OG Mich 5th) J. Replogle DT Purde
            6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn
            Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

Comment

JAY ALFORD 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
                Yeah we talked about him early on. He played well at the Senior Bowl and had double digit sacks. He will be a good rotational DT early on IMO. 3rd still is earlier than I would have liked but at least it's a player I like
                Strick give me the rundown my man. Didn't look at this kid at all

Comment

High character theme this year, to be sure. No divas, no headcases, all solid citizens. Gotta love it.

Comment

This kid has some nastyness to him. Great motor. Always seemed to be in the play on a very underrated Cuse D. He racked up double digit sacks at the DT spot, not easy to do. Team captain. I like him on the team, but it still feels early for him. I hope we can get his teammate Spruill as a UDFA with him. Both play with that urgency on every play.

He wont plug holes, but he will sneak into the backfield. Wont give up on plays.

Bromley, a third-team All-ACC pick and team captain, led Syracuse with 14.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks last year, a breakout season after recording only four sacks in his previous two years as a starter.

"The light started coming on with him," ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said during the broadcast. "I saw a little bit more explosiveness. I liked his motor, and he chased guys down from behind for a bigger guy."

Bromley was projected anywhere from a third- to sixth-round pick in this year's draft. Giants general manager Jerry Reese told reporters he "reminds you of a shorter Chris Canty the way he looks in his uniform." Reese said Bromley is expected to immediately contribute for a spot in the defensive line rotation and will remain at defensive tackle.
                    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
                      The NCAA leader in sacks is at 10 (Michael Sam and Vic Beasley) He is tied for 7th and is the top DT on the list. http://espn.go.com/college-football/.../2013/group/80

1. Michael Sam DL MIZZ10 & Vic Beasley DE CLEM 10

3. Trent Murphy LB STAN 9.5

4. Aaron Donald DL PITT 9

5. Martin Ifedi DL MEM 8.5 & Demarcus Lawrence DE BSU 8.5

7. Marcus Smith DE LOU 8 & Jay Bromley DT SYR 8 & Ejiro Ederaine LB FRES 8

10. Marcus Whitfield LB MD 7.5
                      Aaron Donald is the first DT in your list.

Bromley is a reach, no doubt a bout it. He was considered a 6th round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bennyblancco View Post

Actually, I just read a few articles that had him going anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th.... All it takes is that one team to love him. Looks like we were it.

Comment

This kid has some nastyness to him. Great motor. Always seemed to be in the play on a very underrated Cuse D. He racked up double digit sacks at the DT spot, not easy to do. Team captain. I like him on the team, but it still feels early for him. I hope we can get his teammate Spruill as a UDFA with him. Both play with that urgency on every play.

He wont plug holes, but he will sneak into the backfield. Wont give up on plays.
                          Thanks appreciate the background on him

Comment

Originally posted by ELIte4MVP View Post
                            STRENGTHS Good combination of size and movement skills. Flashes quick get-off and the ability to hold his ground against the run. Can work half a man, get skinny enough to penetrate the gap and closes with some steam when he has a direct bead on the QB. Is active and gives effort in pursuit. Strong tackler when he's able to wrap up ball carriers. Coachable, hardworking.

WEAKNESSES Small hands. Pad level fluctuates. Average eyes and diagnostic ability. Does not play with pop or power in his hands to shock or discard blockers. Moved by double teams. Bland pass rusher (inflated sack numbers). Has tweener traits. Tepid intensity level -- could use more glass in his diet.
                            DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE Well-built, inconsistent interior defender with enough strength, athleticism and pass-rush ability to contribute in a rotational role. Best fits as a 4-3 defensive tackle, but could appeal to teams running a hybrid scheme given his potential to be used as a five-technique.

Looks to me like the Giants knew any DT they would take would start off as a rotational guy and situational guy and he can come in for Jenkins some times. He's improved every year since he got to Syracuse and everything ive read says hes a hard worker a film rat and is a professional. i dont think its a bad pick at all, i think we could of definitely had him in the 4th though and it may be a bit of a reach. but for what it seems like he would play this year he could fit what were looking for. we'll see how he plays out

Comment

Originally posted by Bennyblancco View Post

That was before I really knew about Donald honestly..

He is a solid player... but earlier than I would have preferred
                              sigpic
                              Mock Draft
                              Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

Comment

Originally posted by ELIte4MVP View Post
                                He is a lighter DT. Just above 300lbs.. he can get into the backfield with quick moves which is why he got double digit sacks. It is hard for me to determine how good he is compared to other DT's his other supporting DL weren't great so he got extra attention I thought. He could be a nice rotational guy early on. He could come in for Jenkins at the 3T spot.

He played well in the Senior Bowl and got played well vs Clemson. If JPP and the DE's get pressure he will be able to Noy allow the QB to step up in the pocket.

He has some Donald moments but flashes really. Could be a solid DT with some work
                                sigpic
                                Mock Draft

Comment

Working...
                                X