A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A look at the 2012 NFL draft

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]He has that potential but Stanford didnt really use him much as a Blocker at all really.[/quote]

Yea, but why would they when he was clearly their best receiving option.

But looking at the giants history, they dont often draft TEs who are capable blockers, they draft guys with the size/growth potential, and the willingness to block.

Then they just have Mike Pope teach them how to block, and they generally become pretty damn good at it.

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] I think Allen could end up being a Antonio Gates type talent..
      [/quote]

Allen and Fleener are different types of TEs in the NFL, IMO.

Allen is closer to a Hernandez type TE. Dont think he has the strength or speed of a Vernon Davis. I think he will end up being more of a move TE. Not an inline guy.

Fleener if he has the frame (he should at 6'6 with what seems like a big wingspan) could definately grow into a 270+ pound inline type TE.[/quote]He has that potential but Stanford didnt really use him much as a Blocker at all really.[/quote] Thats the only thing i worry about with fleener is the fact that he didn't block that much and is so slender for the TE positon and really what he does well is make bigger longer plays then TE's usually do(oustide of the best) and u wonder if gaining 20lbs would hurt that ability and take away from him abit.. The guy Avg'd all most 20yrd per catch for godsake! As far as Allen he blocks well enough and more often and still gives u everything offensively and probably has only scratched the surface of his overall talent.. U give em a QB like Eli to throw it to him and its all most scary

Comment

wow were in the SB yet again and i get to do 2 more mocks instead of 1.. Yippee!!lol We got a bunch of FA's this yr and guys who are gonna be coming off big injuries as well.. Also u add in guys like Osi whos all ready talked trade a bunch and Jacobs and Diehl who are guys who probably won't be back and all that makes this one of the more important drafts and off seasons in recent memory as there could be alot of change around here.. Ross/ Jacobs/ Osi/ TT/ Goff/ Blackburn/ Bernard/ Ballard/D Thomas/ Carr/ Weahorford/ mario/ Tollefson/ Coe/mckenzie / pascoe(restricted)/ are all guys who could either be let go because of how much they make or traded(in osi's case) or are FA's in some capacity wheather its restricted or exculsive rights or a regular old FA.. That is alot of guys we gotta make decisons on going forward.. With that said Here is this weeks mock

1. Dwayne Allen TE Cle
        mson- Sticking with the guy who is the best at his positon offering us alot of bang for our buck picking this late in RD 1.. We could lose mario so adding another weapon for ELI isn't a bad idea.. Also Ballard has fell off due to injury and and theres just not a ton of depth at the positon for us..

2. Doug
        martin RB Boise St- I don't think the bowling ball 5ft 9inch 219lb who can return kicks will make it to us in RD 3.. This guy catches it outta the backfield and has much exp bass blocking for Boises big passing offense and has solid speed. Hes got alot of similar attributes to Ray Rice and mjd..

3. Nate Potter G/T Boise St-
        A Tackle for the broncos some see Potter going to G in the pros.. the giants covet olineman that can man multiple positons and Potter has the possiblity to be a guy who can play every line positon outside of C in a pinch.. I see potter as a guy who isn't a stud in any one area but does many things relatively well.. Hes got quick feet and long arms and is a effective combo blocker.. I think hes got great value late RD 3..

4. Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College- Now that the positon is so deep with talent i could see Fletcher possibly there in RD 4 and hes got the size we covet at the positon and the value is there this late in RD 4 as well.. Also u add in the BC ties we've had over the yrs and with Coughlin fletcher could be a guy we'd look at in RD 4 if the draft plays out like i got it here..

5. Sean Cattouse SS California- A big and Stong SS who could fill the Deon Grant roll on this tea
        m very well.. Cattouse is one of my sleepers in this draft and i think the value is there for a RD 5 pick

6. De
        mario Davis OLB Arkansas St- This dude can ball! Bigtime hitter who can make plays against the pass and rush the passer when asked as well as a sure tackler that wraps up well and trys to punish ball carriers.. Davis could be a beast on ST's as he works his way into playing time as a
        LB..

7. Garth Gerhart C Arizona St- Underrated C in a pretty solid C class.. Hes got the size and expierence and could be a later round steal..

Comment

Very solidsolid

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]NEPD_Loyko Mike Loyko
            George Iloka might have been the most impressive looking DB there.. 6'3 5/8 222 and jacked up

Intriguing guy right there.[/quote]

if he runs well, hes a 2nd rounder, IMO.[/quote] Almost a 7' Wingspan as well. NEPatriotsdraft claims he has verified 4.4 speed Im not sure about that.If he does have that straight line speed it doesnt show up, looks like a 4.6 guy. Still a DB at 6'3 5/8 225 81" Wingspan is eye opening

Comment

Very solid draft. I love Martin in the 2nd. But I just don't see Allen falling to US in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Broncos at 25.

Also, how do you feel about Audie Cole in the 3rd? Might need a bit of luck to land him there if he has anything like a good combine. I just love his frame and explosiveness. He needs mass and seasoning, but the way he moves and hits kinda reminds me of a poor man's (white) Patrick Willis.

Comment

[quote user="Raptor22"]Very solid draft. I love Martin in the 2nd. But I just don't see Allen falling to US in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Broncos at 25.

Also, how do you feel about Audie Cole in the 3rd? Might need a bit of luck to land him there if he has anything like a good combine. I just love his frame and explosiveness. He needs mass and seasoning, but the way he moves and hits kinda reminds me of a poor man's (white) Patrick Willis.[/quote]I think Audie Cole will end up as a 3-4 SOLB . He rushes the passer well can cover the short zone. Could be a good fit for the Giants as a SOLB.He isnt a MLB though.

Comment

[quote user="Raptor22"]Very solid draft. I love Martin in the 2nd. But I just don't see Allen falling to US in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Broncos at 25.

Also, how do you feel about Audie Cole in the 3rd? Might need a bit of luck to land him there if he has anything like a good combine. I just love his frame and explosiveness. He needs mass and seasoning, but the way he moves and hits kinda reminds me of a poor man's (white) Patrick Willis.[/quote] Allen could certainly be gone or another guy could drop that the broncos didn't expect which changes there pick to whoever that is.. Allen is teetering on the late 1st/early 2nd rd as of now and as u know the draft is very hard to perdict so when talking about late 1st round guys they very well could either be gone or other guys could drop and the whole thing gets flipped around as far as what u were expecting.. So i actually think Allen has a chance based on that alone of falling to us.. I love Audie Cole and if hes around in RD 3 for us i'd definetly take a look if i was the Giants.. I woulden't be upset if they took em in RD 2.. Thanks for the input!

Comment

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Raptor22"]Very solid draft. I love Martin in the 2nd. But I just don't see Allen falling to US in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Broncos at 25.

Also, how do you feel about Audie Cole in the 3rd? Might need a bit of luck to land him there if he has anything like a good combine. I just love his frame and explosiveness. He needs mass and seasoning, but the way he moves and hits kinda reminds me of a poor man's (white) Patrick Willis.[/quote]* Allen could certainly be gone or another guy could drop that the broncos didn't expect which changes there pick to whoever that is..* Allen is teetering on the late 1st/early 2nd rd* as of now** and as u know the draft is very hard to perdict* so when talking about late 1st round guys* they very well could either be gone or other guys could drop and the whole thing gets flipped around** as far as what u were expecting.. So i actually think Allen has a chance based on that alone* of falling to us..* I love Audie Cole** and if hes around in RD 3 for us** i'd definetly take a look if i was the Giants..* I woulden't be upset if they took em in RD 2..* Thanks for the input!
                    [/quote]

Any time. And I can definitely see both scenarios... if.Allen's there I hope JR sprints to the podium (unless there's somebody there who they NEVER expected to be sitting there, like Kuechly or the like)

That's one thing I love about the draft, you can analyze every scenario, every angle, and still be blown away on draft day. There's ALWAYS a gem that falls through the cracks and has no business sitting there.

At least we know we have a GM who's 'heads up' enough and not so myopic that he'll gladly take advantage.

Comment

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Raptor22"]Very solid draft. I love Martin in the 2nd. But I just don't see Allen falling to US in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Broncos at 25.

Also, how do you feel about Audie Cole in the 3rd? Might need a bit of luck to land him there if he has anything like a good combine. I just love his frame and explosiveness. He needs mass and seasoning, but the way he moves and hits kinda reminds me of a poor man's (white) Patrick Willis.[/quote] Allen could certainly be gone or another guy could drop that the broncos didn't expect which changes there pick to whoever that is.. Allen is teetering on the late 1st/early 2nd rd as of now and as u know the draft is very hard to perdict so when talking about late 1st round guys they very well could either be gone or other guys could drop and the whole thing gets flipped around as far as what u were expecting.. So i actually think Allen has a chance based on that alone of falling to us.. I love Audie Cole and if hes around in RD 3 for us i'd definetly take a look if i was the Giants.. I woulden't be upset if they took em in RD 2.. Thanks for the input!
                      [/quote]

Any time. And I can definitely see both scenarios... if.Allen's there I hope JR sprints to the podium (unless there's somebody there who they NEVER expected to be sitting there, like Kuechly or the like)

That's one thing I love about the draft, you can analyze every scenario, every angle, and still be blown away on draft day. There's ALWAYS a gem that falls through the cracks and has no business sitting there.

At least we know we have a GM who's 'heads up' enough and not so myopic that he'll gladly take advantage.[/quote] Look at Prince Amukumura just last yr.. No one thought he'd be around when we picked.. In fact it would of been almost laughable if u even considered it or put em as our 1st rd pick in a mock..lol

One thing we certainly need is SPEED at the RB positon and unless were groo
                      ming Dar'el Scott then we gotta get that this offseason and i woulden't put David Wilson outta the realm of possiblities for us at the END of RD 1.. Its just ridiculously hard to perdict the draft let alone when your picking at the very end of RD 1..

Comment

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] One thing we certainly need is SPEED at the RB positon* and unless were grooming Dar'el Scott* then we gotta get that this offseason and i woulden't put* David Wilson outta the realm of possiblities for us at the END of RD 1..*** Its just ridiculously hard to perdict the draft** let alone when your picking at the very end of RD 1..
                        [/quote]

I'm taking a look at Isaiah Pead from Cincy. Da'rel Scott has undeniable straight line speed, but I just haven't seen a quickness in his cut to make him a successful NFL running back.

Comment

[quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] One thing we certainly need is SPEED at the RB positon and unless were grooming Dar'el Scott then we gotta get that this offseason and i woulden't put David Wilson outta the realm of possiblities for us at the END of RD 1.. Its just ridiculously hard to perdict the draft let alone when your picking at the very end of RD 1..
                          [/quote]

I'm taking a look at Isaiah Pead from Cincy. Da'rel Scott has undeniable straight line speed, but I just have seen a quickness in his cut to make him a successful NFL running back.[/quote] Ya Pead was a guy i raved about going into this past college season and he certainly lived up to my hype.. Hes got great balance and can make the highlight real runs and also catch the ball well.. The RB class is very deep.. I really hope we get one of the guys out there.. Weather its adding a battering ram to litterally try and replace BJ with a similar back(u think Robert Turbin/Terrance Ganaway/ Chris Polk/bernard pierce) or a speedster who can bring a diffrent element to our backfield(u think lamichael james/ David Wilson/Doug martin/ Isaiah Pead) i'm fine with either idea.. I personally would like the Speed and "break a big one" back to be added that also can catch but i'm totally ok with a Terrance ganaway type back being added if thats the way the FO goes.. We definetly need a fresh take at the RB positon and a pair of legs that aren't beat on..

Comment

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Im telling you, if Fleener has the frame to add another 20-30 pounds. He is going to be a beast in the nfl.[/quote] I coulden't agree more.. I think Fleener is gonna be a stud but Allen has that all around TE frame all ready and can beat u deep and short as well as block.. I love both TE's but Allen has a more complete TE skill set in my opinion.. I think Allen could end up being a Antonio Gates type talent..
                            [/quote]
                            Im a huge Fleener fan too. I love the system experience he has too.

I think Slip nailed it on him. All he needs is a lil mass and he is a perfect fit for us.
                            sigpic

Comment

Heres some ridiculously good info "LIVE" from the sr bowl from the boys over at walter football.. They have great insight and are alot closer to the players then some around here give credit for as they go to the sr bowl and combine .. They even let us know what teams are talking to who albeit in the very early stages.. my guy Doug martin was said to be super ripped and i really think that kids gonna be special! Also Gerrell Robinson WR Arz St tore it up yesterday beating a handful of soon to be NFL CB's.. His stock has to be on the rise.. Casey Hayward also was said to be ripped and as a guy i've raved about u add in a good physique with awesome on field play both against the run and pass in the tough SEC and i just don't see how its possible he dosen't get into the 2nd rd and possibly the 1st by Draft time.. I wonder if Janoris Jenkins HT is gonna hurt him? Also i was bummed to see Bobby Wagners HT only at 6ft.. I really like him a ton! Anyhow take alook at all this info its some great reading!
                              A list of teams and prospects that met with each other after Monday's Senior Bowl practice.

2012 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill - 1/23

2012 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill. Find out which quarterback the Redskins spent a lot of time with.

2012 Senior Bowl Weigh-In Analysis - 1/23

We have the measurements, but how did each prospect look at the weigh-in? Who needs to hit the gym?

2012 Senior Bowl Practice Report - 1/23

My 2012 Senior Bowl Practice Report from Monday with outside analysis.e

Comment

probably my top "sleeper" as i seen and learned more about Leonard Johnson as the yr went on he is now rising up draft boards and u would be hard pressed to find him any further down then RD 3 and still rising! mayock compares to Brandon Flowers and i can see the same type of shutdown Corner as flowers when i watch Johnson as well.. Hes got everything u want in a CB Size and Speed wise and should be a heck of a man cover corner in the NFL.. Keep a eye on Johnson as a possible 2nd rd pick when said and done..
                                Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State

One corner Mike Mayock likes is Leonard Johnson. Mayock compared Johnson
                                to Brandon Flowers. The Iowa State product was beat once in the
                                one-on-one drills, but getting heavy praise like that from Mayock has to
                                give his stock a slight boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X