No announcement yet.

Out of the Box -- Eli for Clowney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I think Clowney is going to be a stud player I wouldn't trade Eli for him. Especially not if Matt Schaub is part of the deal.

Plus, why would the Giants trade away the franchise QB just to get a defensive player, no matter how talented his is when they don't have a future franchise QB waiting in the wings to replace Eli? Makes no sense.
    One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      You guys are looking at this the wrong way.
      the reality is that there is no way the Texans would trade for a guy that had a worse year than the guy they benched, for a once in 5 years D lineman.
      If they want a QB, there are several outstanding prospects to choose from with the #1 pick.
      Why on earth would they trade for a guy who has a few years left and is coming off an all time terrible season.
      Can you imagine the fans uproar in Houston????
      Ha! I swear I didn't see your post before I typed mine.
      Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Jagger View Post
        No -- just look at Seattle and SF -- both winning with non 1st round QBs
        Don't forget the Patriots.
        My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
          As much as I think Clowney is going to be a stud player I wouldn't trade Eli for him. Especially not if Matt Schaub is part of the deal.

Plus, why would the Giants trade away the franchise QB just to get a defensive player, no matter how talented his is when they don't have a future franchise QB waiting in the wings to replace Eli? Makes no sense.
          If you knew Clowney would be just as dominant as Stray you wouldn't do it? I would, and it's not totally about Eli having a bad year, but its about Eli being a 10 year vet.
          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

why is this even a discussion?

Mara made it clear that the offense is broken, so we deal with that by downgrading big time from Eli to Schaub?

Comment

Originally posted by Plaxicofan7 View Post

Mara made it clear that the offense is broken, so we deal with that by downgrading big time from Eli to Schaub?
              At this point the gap has shrunken. Although 2013 was an awful year for Schaub as well. Talk about a guy that knows how to give a game away...

Comment

You guys are looking at this the wrong way.
                the reality is that there is no way the Texans would trade for a guy that had a worse year than the guy they benched, for a once in 5 years D lineman.
                If they want a QB, there are several outstanding prospects to choose from with the #1 pick.
                Why on earth would they trade for a guy who has a few years left and is coming off an all time terrible season.
                Can you imagine the fans uproar in Houston????
                no you are.....
                why would the Giants trade away Eli for Matt Schaub. That's what you must of have meant.
                Or maybe its was just another opportunity to bash Eli....
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Plaxicofan7 View Post

Not only that, but I would like to see what Eli can do in 2014 before we make any concrete decisions about replacing him.
                  Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                    no you are.....
                    why would the Giants trade away Eli for Matt Schaub. That's what you must of have meant.
                    Or maybe its was just another opportunity to bash Eli....
                    I don't believe thats what the OP was suggesting. Wasn't it supposed to be Shaub and the #1 pick for Eli?

Not a minor point.

My point is that there is no way that HOUSTON would make that deal.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I don't believe thats what the OP was suggesting. Wasn't it supposed to be Shaub and the #1 pick for Eli?

Not a minor point.

CORRECT --ONLY IF WE GET CLOWNEY -- AND HOUSTON COULD TURN IT AROUND QUICKLY WITH ELI, LIKE KC -- THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT CLEAR HOUSTON WOULD REJECT THE DEAL

Comment

Not a minor point.

and neither would the Giants.....
                        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                          If you knew Clowney would be just as dominant as Stray you wouldn't do it? I would, and it's not totally about Eli having a bad year, but its about Eli being a 10 year vet.
                          Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Clowney on the team. But not enough to give up a franchise QB when there isn't another QB ready to replace him. Now, let's say if the Giants had a back-up like Andrew Luck waiting in the wings then I would say make the trade in a heartbeat. But they don't have Luck, they've got Nassib who never played a snap during the season.

While I do believe that the Giants are going to have to draft the QB of the future in the next couple of years to start grooming they've got too many issues on the offense with the O-Line, TE, RB and probably WR if they lose Nicks to have to add finding a new franchise QB to the list. The only way they could justify that is if they were going into full rebuild mold with an entirely new coaching staff and blowing everything up like the Colts did when they let Peyton go.
                          One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                            and neither would the Giants.....
                            Really?
                            They could draft Bortles (who I think is the best QB in the draft) and then still keep their pick at 12?

That's a pretty good deal. They could start Shaub for a year or so and then be set for 10 years.
                            I have no idea if we would do it but it might be interesting to the Giants FO.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
                              Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Clowney on the team. But not enough to give up a franchise QB when there isn't another QB ready to replace him. Now, let's say if the Giants had a back-up like Andrew Luck waiting in the wings then I would say make the trade in a heartbeat. But they don't have Luck, they've got Nassib who never played a snap during the season.

While I do believe that the Giants are going to have to draft the QB of the future in the next couple of years to start grooming they've got too many issues on the offense with the O-Line, TE, RB and probably WR if they lose Nicks to have to add finding a new franchise QB to the list. The only way they could justify that is if they were going into full rebuild mold with an entirely new coaching staff and blowing everything up like the Colts did when they let Peyton go.
                              You are correct -- we are in full rebuilding mode -- or should be

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Jagger View Post
                                The best NYG teams have been ones with GREAT DEFENSES -- and Mara knows that. I think they should seriously think about getting Clowney.

Except for the past two SB teams. Certainly those teams - particularly the 2007 team - played great in the playoffs but they were hardly great defensive teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X