Out of the Box -- Eli for Clowney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Except for the past two SB teams. Certainly those teams - particularly the 2007 team - played great in the playoffs but they were hardly great defensive teams.
    And they weren't great teams either.....Until.....the defense started playing great.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Really?
      They could draft Bortles (who I think is the best QB in the draft) and then still keep their pick at 12?

That's a pretty good deal. They could start Shaub for a year or so and then be set for 10 years.
      I have no idea if we would do it but it might be interesting to the Giants FO.
      good one....you're funny
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Clowney is as Clowney does

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Jagger View Post
          You are correct -- we are in full rebuilding mode -- or should be
          The Giants are definitely going to have to focus on rebuilding at some point, but that's going to require making a LOT of changes from the FO to the coaching staff to the roster. Right now, Mara is just dipping his toe in the water and seeing how things play out before any major rebuilding takes place.
          One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
            good one....you're funny
            Its would not piss me off if we made that deal.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Clowney on the team. But not enough to give up a franchise QB when there isn't another QB ready to replace him. Now, let's say if the Giants had a back-up like Andrew Luck waiting in the wings then I would say make the trade in a heartbeat. But they don't have Luck, they've got Nassib who never played a snap during the season.

While I do believe that the Giants are going to have to draft the QB of the future in the next couple of years to start grooming they've got too many issues on the offense with the O-Line, TE, RB and probably WR if they lose Nicks to have to add finding a new franchise QB to the list. The only way they could justify that is if they were going into full rebuild mold with an entirely new coaching staff and blowing everything up like the Colts did when they let Peyton go.
              Unless we become a squad led by our defense.

"a back-up like Andrew Luck"? You're a funny guy.
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

of course it wouldn't. You just thought of it......
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                  The would do it in a heart beat, especially if they loved one of the QB's in the draft. Just look at the Colts. It's about setting the organization up for the long term future. Even if it means letting go of the current face of your franchise.

I don't agree, unless the Giants feel that there's an Andrew Luck in this draft. And I don't believe they do.

Comment

You guys are looking at this the wrong way.
                    the reality is that there is no way the Texans would trade for a guy that had a worse year than the guy they benched, for a once in 5 years D lineman.
                    If they want a QB, there are several outstanding prospects to choose from with the #1 pick.
                    Why on earth would they trade for a guy who has a few years left and is coming off an all time terrible season.
                    Can you imagine the fans uproar in Houston????

I guess that's true if Houston is only going to view this through a one year performance lens and a best case draft scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                      Unless we become a squad led by our defense.

"a back-up like Andrew Luck"? You're a funny guy.
                      Would you really want the Giants to become a team led by the defense with PF as the DC and the weak pass rush? Or did you mean led by the defense after a total rebuild? Either way, no matter how great a team's defense is you still have to have a good to great QB to run that offense, especially in today's NFL. Look at Houston. They've got some great defensive players, but not having a real QB sank their season which is why they are picking No. 1 in the draft.

And Luck was the first name that popped into my head. LOL. But my point was having a back-up QB ready to step in to lead the offense is the only way that trading Eli away would make sense.
                      One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Really?
                        They could draft Bortles (who I think is the best QB in the draft) and then still keep their pick at 12?

That's a pretty good deal. They could start Shaub for a year or so and then be set for 10 years.
                        I have no idea if we would do it but it might be interesting to the Giants FO.
                        Or Bortis could become the new Michael Vick, I mean Jamarcus Russell, I mean Ryan Leaf, I mean Tim Couch, Mark Sanchez, Dave Brown, Vince Young, Todd Marinovich, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn......

Comment

And they weren't great teams either.....Until.....the defense started playing great.
                          True, that's why the won SBs because both units played very well, not just one.

Comment

Me neither, but the idea that it's not a high risk, low probability move is naive in my opinion.

Comment

There is no way we are trading Eli, the cap hit would be crazy with all that guaranteed money and he's kind of our franchise QB lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Jagger View Post
                                Here's an idea: what if we offered Eli in a trade to Houston for the #1 pick and Matt Schaub?

You know what? I'd do it -- Eli may have some good seasons ahead of him, but Clowney is likely a special player that comes along only once in many years. And Schaub is good enough to win in the NFL -- he needs a change in team to clear his head.

And I think Houston would do it -- notwithstanding their record, they're loaded with talent and someone like Eli could make them a playoff team.

So how crazy is this idea?
                                Let's put that suggestion back into the box, thanks.
                                "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Working...
                                X