Impact Player, NOT DEVELOPMENTAL in the 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Do not get me wrong, I think he has the chance to develop into a blocker. The best thing he did for himself this offseason was come into the combine and display his impressive physique. He has the potential to develop the strength required to be an inline blocker.

However, this thread is about not taking developmental players and if you want an inline TE, then Ebron is exactly that, a developmental player.

He is awkward coming out of his 3 point stance right now. In the few instances where he did inline block he always tries to use his right arm/ shoulder as his dominant arm. This is a terrible habbit as it prevent any chance of ever being able to seal block on the LT side which is a requirement as a TE. In truth, as a inline blocker he is at a high school level. He doesn't shy away from it, which is good and he does block well in space vs smaller defenders. But he absolutely is a developmental player as an inline TE. or H-back.

On the flip side, as a slot receiver or in space player he is the opposite of a developmental player. He has huge skills.

So in the end it all depends on how we will use a TE in this offense.
    First off, lets call this what it is, a college draft. Every single player is developmental. The one skill Ebron would need to finesse is his blocking, which is very teachable. Eveyrthing else is there and can only get better. As a first round and potential top ten pick, everyone of those guys are expected to have some type of immediate impact, as Im sure is always the case. My good buddy is a Tarheel and played a year of footbal there so Ive watched many UNC games and can say Ebron is not nearly as bad an inline blocker as some posters here make him out to be. You pretty much quoted the CBS sports knitwit who commented on his inline blocking. That guy is a toolbag, but even he compared Ebron to the likes of Vernon Davis. Ebron is a special TE and I would usually steer clear of a TE in the first, but not in this case. If he can stay healthy, mark my words, Ebron will be a dominating figure in the NFL and a mismatch nightmare. If we can get him or another good TE this draft and maybe pick up one more decent WR, I think our offensive will be explosive. Plus Jennings is a threat with the screens and other pass plays. We just gotta grab one or two Olineman as well.
    2017 Draft Wishlist:
    1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
    2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
    3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
    4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
    5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
    6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Matthews OT TAM college..

Comment

i just want to say, NO ONE can compare to Vernon Davis. Dudes just honestly an absolute freak. he ran a 4.38 40 and put up 225 33 times... in comparrison Ebron ran a 4.6 and put up 225 24 times. in no way bad for a TE, its actually extremely good, but no one compares to Davis and thats why he was a 6 pick.

Ebron is good prospect and i would be mad with that pick, but i just firmly believe we could grab a great player like Donald at 12 and then get another starter in ASJ or Niklas in the 2nd. fills 2 needs and 2 starters with 2 great values.

1. Donald- DT
        2. ASJ- TE
        3. Travis Swanson- C
        4. Brandon Coleman- WR

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
          i just want to say, NO ONE can compare to Vernon Davis. Dudes just honestly an absolute freak. he ran a 4.38 40 and put up 225 33 times... in comparrison Ebron ran a 4.6 and put up 225 24 times. in no way bad for a TE, its actually extremely good, but no one compares to Davis and thats why he was a 6 pick.

Ebron is good prospect and i would be mad with that pick, but i just firmly believe we could grab a great player like Donald at 12 and then get another starter in ASJ or Niklas in the 2nd. fills 2 needs and 2 starters with 2 great values.

1. Donald- DT
          2. ASJ- TE
          3. Travis Swanson- C
          4. Brandon Coleman- WR
          you mean just in this dragt?

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post

1. Donald- DT
            2. ASJ- TE
            3. Travis Swanson- C
            4. Brandon Coleman- WR
            I agree Ebrons no Davis, but although your combine and pro day can certainly drive your stock up or down a bit, it does not determine how well one will play in the NFL. Tons of great players had bad combines.. Suggs, Bowman, Haden, Boldin, Dumervil etc. btw I like ur 4 rounds
            2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
            "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
            - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
              The one skill Ebron would need to finesse is his blocking, which is very teachable. Eveyrthing else is there and can only get better. As a first round and potential top ten pick, everyone of those guys are expected to have some type of immediate impact, as Im sure is always the case. My good buddy is a Tarheel and played a year of footbal there so Ive watched many UNC games and can say Ebron is not nearly as bad an inline blocker as some posters here make him out to be. .
              He played 21% of his snaps as an inline blocker. On many of these he still released on routes. On the few run plays they did run they were mostly short yardage situations and they often ran away from Ebron's side. He simply was not asked to block inline very often at all, at least not in any meaningful capacity and when he did he looked awkward. As I said, he is a high school level inline blocker. He has the body and strength to develop into much more though.

However, he was asked to block from the slot position in the run game quite a bit and he did alright, even against LBs. He didn't shy away from the duty, that is a positive. As I said, I do think there is enough to work with and develop.

I am not making the case against him. I would not be upset with him as the 12th pick simply because I have no idea how we intend to use a TE. But, if we pick him at 12, and then try to make him just an inline TE, I would be a little annoyed because I do not think that is using him to the best of his ability and I think he will not see the field much this year if we do that.
              sigpic

Comment

Ebron and Donald could be options. Ebron would have a better shot at starting. Lewan would not fight for a spot. He is an immediate upgrade over Beatty. We gave Beatty way to much money for a player who always had difficulties at times. Reason he did well at RT was because Snee was performing at a All pro level and that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by qndarius3 View Post
                  imho there is absolutely no reason to draft ebron in the first round when we can get a player like niklaus or ASJ in the 2nd with little if any fall off in talent. yes, those guys dont have the speed, but they would be more than capable of playing a boss/ballard roll for several years to come. I would much rather go with a Barr or Lewan in the 1st rnd.

to make a long read short...i think an impact player can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round at TE without using our top 15 pick on a player who is boom or bust.
                  Ebrons upside is Vernon Davis/Jimmy Graham type. I'd take that any day over a Boss/Ballard type. Who knows who'll be better, but I dont think u can put Niklas in the same category as Ebron right now. With our pick I'd rather go Donald and maybe a Davante Adams or Gabe Jackson in the 2nd rd.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxnygmen View Post
                    Ebron and Donald could be options. Ebron would have a better shot at starting. Lewan would not fight for a spot. He is an immediate upgrade over Beatty. We gave Beatty way to much money for a player who always had difficulties at times. Reason he did well at RT was because Snee was performing at a All pro level and that helped.
                    Even tho I think Lewan is gonna be a really good pro I pray the Giants don't draft him. Seems like such a *****hole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatNiCcA56 View Post
                      Even tho I think Lewan is gonna be a really good pro I pray the Giants don't draft him. Seems like such a *****hole.
                      Exactly, contrary to what the OP says, Lewan will be an immediate impact and starter wherever he goes. He is just the prototypical player we pass up due to off the field issues. Evans will also be an immediate starter wherever he falls. OP, these guys aren't top 10 potentials just to compete and ride the bench by any means. Not sure why you think any team would take them that early and question their starting ability.
                      2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
                      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Working...
                      X