DE in the first round?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    I think you can easily make the case for not drafting an OT early.

Beatty can't be cut. So he will be on the team. Either you sit a guy making 7 mil on the bench, or you sit the first round rookie OT

Neither benefits the team this year.

Pass rushers at least you can rotate. Nobody rotates OL
    What do you think about Aaron Donald Slip? Give me a good breakdown.
    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
      What do you think about Aaron Donald Slip? Give me a good breakdown.

If you like Dwight Freeney playing DT...he's your guy.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
        ?
        WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

The only thing freeney and Donald have in common is that they are explosive athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
            I know it seems like the movie Groundhog Day but we may be looking at a DE again in the 1st round.
            JPP coming off another injury and Kiwi in the final year of his contract, Moore showing speed but not enough strength last year and a little spindly for the position.

No matter what our 1st pick is shaping up as an OT, DE or TE I think.
            Perhaps if a game changing WR is available we might go there as well.

It still feels like a DE or OT to me.

Thoughts?
            Between OT and DE, I'd say DE has a better shot of being the pick than OT at 12 even with the Ayers signing.

But the way things are shaping up it seems like the Giants may go WR or TE at 12.
            One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

There are no good DE after Clowney. Zack Martin is the pick.
              I agree. I believe Zack Martin will be the pick.

Comment

The only thing freeney and Donald have in common is that they are explosive athletes.

Very good athletes. Donald can get after that passer...but is awful against the run. College lineman push him wherever they want.

Comment

Very good athletes. Donald can get after that passer...but is awful against the run. College lineman push him wherever they want.
                  I don't see that at all

Comment

I don't see that at all

You think he plays the run well? I think the top DTs in this draft are interesting. I think Donald is the best at rushing the pass, but average against the run. Jernigan gives you a little bit of pass and run stop. And Nix is more run, but average at the pass. It's a pick your poison for me.

Comment

I think you can easily make the case for not drafting an OT early.

Beatty can't be cut. So he will be on the team. Either you sit a guy making 7 mil on the bench, or you sit the first round rookie OT

Neither benefits the team this year.

Pass rushers at least you can rotate. Nobody rotates OL
                      Per Charlie Casserly -- Giants need to stabalize LT position -- if they go into season with Beatty they will regret it. Draft Lewan for LT -- move Beatty to RT and push Pugh inside (we drafted him for his versatility - why not use it).

Just saying that Lewan is definitely a possibility and drafting him doesn't mean Beatty ($7M) sits on the bench.

If you draft Lewan you go from a mediocre OL to one that is legit - and one that has depth/versatility. Plus maybe add a C/G in the 4th/5th and we are set.

Can return to smash-mouth -- play action football and rely on our defense.

Not sold on this route - but it's definitely a possibility. Only people that seem concerned with Lewan's off the field stuff seem to be on this board -- everyone else either doesn't mention it or washes it aside. Much more attention paid to Clowney's potential lack of heart than given to Lewan off the field stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
                        Per Charlie Casserly -- Giants need to stabalize LT position -- if they go into season with Beatty they will regret it. Draft Lewan for LT -- move Beatty to RT and push Pugh inside (we drafted him for his versatility - why not use it).

Just saying that Lewan is definitely a possibility and drafting him doesn't mean Beatty ($7M) sits on the bench.

If you draft Lewan you go from a mediocre OL to one that is legit - and one that has depth/versatility. Plus maybe add a C/G in the 4th/5th and we are set.

Can return to smash-mouth -- play action football and rely on our defense.

Not sold on this route - but it's definitely a possibility. Only people that seem concerned with Lewan's off the field stuff seem to be on this board -- everyone else either doesn't mention it or washes it aside. Much more attention paid to Clowney's potential lack of heart than given to Lewan off the field stuff.
                        Charlie Casserley? The same guy who looks in the mirror everday and thinks that ridiculous wig looks good?

Comment

We should not be picking an OT in the 1st round. Worst case is we put Pugh or Charles Brown at LT. This draft has too much talent elsewhere to go OL.

All we need on the OL right now is a center.

Beatty | Brown
                          Schwartz | Mosley
                          Walton
                          Snee | Jerry
                          Pugh | Brewer

We have some good talent on the OL. I think we need to see Beatty this year before moving on from him already.

Comment

I don't see that at all
                            If you watch enough of Donald's game film you will see him get washed away on occasion.

Because he relies on quickness -- he often gambles and sometimes gambles wrong -- ends up turning his back to the o-lineman and getting washed out of the play.

Comment

You think he plays the run well? I think the top DTs in this draft are interesting. I think Donald is the best at rushing the pass, but average against the run. Jernigan gives you a little bit of pass and run stop. And Nix is more run, but average at the pass. It's a pick your poison for me.
                              Now Donald is "average" against the run? A few posts ago you said that "college lineman push him wherever they want"

Comment

I would not have an issue with grabbing best available D-Lineman at #12, or grabbing Barr(LB) from UCLA.

No way we get Clowney at #12 though, he is probably the highest rated player in this draft.

I personally think our pick will be either:
                                Taylor Lewan, OT - Michigan
                                or
                                Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                                X