Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone worried about Aaron Donald's size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELIte4MVP View Post
    i find it interesting that they do not do a leg press or anything like that at the combine. what are your thoughts on that?
    The jumps test that

Vertical and long jumps are the best tests in the combine to determine explosiveness and lower body power.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 04-02-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

You still havent answered 1 question I asked you Slip
      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post
        What about guys that are strong, do they not have a massive advantage on the bench as well???

Those guys may have short arms but you're not putting up 40reps unless you have strength, I dont care how short your arms are

...Sometimes I feel like you argue just to argue
        I have to agree with Slip here. Most bodybuilders, weightlifters, powerlifters that have long arms, usually bench less weight / lbs. It is a physical formula which involves " distance ". The more distance, the more force is exhausted. Many times you see a guy half the size of another at the gym, yet benches much more weight because of the shorter arms. Of course this is comparing two dedicated lifters that weigh about the same ( for ex both weigh 220 lbs )

http://mmafighterreview.radculture.c...press-physics/

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...ls-bench-press
        Last edited by BigBlueBoricua; 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM.
        1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

I see we are yet again going to debate in circles and circles.

So according to you any weakling with short arms can put up more reps than a beast with long arms??

You are taking strength out of the equation completely and thats incorrect. I said before that it is easier with short arms but you cant put up 50reps without strength and you arent grasping that
          I'm not taking strength out of anything. But the bench press doesn't measure strength. It measures work done.

Work is a function of force * distance

Comment

Originally posted by DT2012 View Post
            IMO as it pertains to Donald I feel that as a DT in the NFL he has boom or bust written all over him. Yes Donald is fast for a 285lb man but he is short with Short arms playing against guys much bigger and experienced in dealing with fast guys. Aaron Donald is no Clowney and lets not make the mistake and act as if he is. He is not the answer as a 3T. He will be one dimesional if he pans out. he is not gonna be able to hold up against the run he will get killed and run all over. Thats why people out there like me would rather see the Giants take a guy like Jerrnigan or Nix they are guys who can fit into more schemes cause they can stop the run and rush the passer. Nix may be big and not as fast as Donald but he has a quick first step for a 335 pounder.
            We dont need Nix or Jernigan, they dont fit our system. If we needed a NT and space eater then yes, but we already have Big Hank
            Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Yeah Donald does have great leg strength but I think he has more than adequate arm strength as well. The bench numbers do get exaggerated like Kevin Durant in basketball for instance. He couldn't bench 185 but he's got a ****ing massive wingspan. He has to bench it a lot higher than the guards that were "stronger" than him. Although they might have been stronger than him because he's the slim reaper.

Donald definitely gets the drive from his legs but he is able to extend with his arms well to create separation and get past the OL.

That being said I still think his biggest asset is easily his quickness off the ball. It is crazy for a DT!
              sigpic
              S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
              6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                I'm not taking strength out of anything. But the bench press doesn't measure strength. It measures work done.

Work is a function of force * distance
                In addition to strength. If someone isnt strong they're not putting up 50reps on the bench, its plain and simple

Comment

In addition to strength. If someone isnt strong they're not putting up 50reps on the bench, its plain and simple
                  Like I said. Bench reps measure force * distance.

They measure work done.

You have to remove the distance aspect of it to compare different people. And even then, repetitive force is not necessarily an indication of strength. But a mixture of strength and stamina.

Comment

I don't think his size is that big of a factor, it will be more about how disruptive he can be against a Pro Offense. Given that, I'm not certain we really want to spend our 12th pick on a DT. We have been able to find starting quality DTs in the second round by giving them some time to mature. Think we need to look at a skill position WR, TE… Not that I would be totally disappointed if they took this kid.

Comment

Like I said. Bench reps measure force * distance.

They measure work done.

You have to remove the distance aspect of it to compare different people. And even then, repetitive force is not necessarily an indication of strength. But a mixture of strength and stamina.
                      Yea just like broad jump measures 'work done', how much work they did from standing still to the end of their jump.

EVERY DRILL IN THE COMBINE MEASURES WORK DONE!!!!!!

So since you cant remove the distance aspect then you cant compare players or something?? What are you getting at with this one???

OK so what do you want a big 3 ton boulder and players have to push it ONCE and that will accurately measure their strength according to doctor slip??

... You say so much without saying anything at all, its like an artform

Comment

I don't understand why people think the bench indicates strength.

It indicates short arms more than anything else.
                        i mean it does indicate strength...so he has to put it up a shorter distance, that doesnt mean with longer arms hed only put up 225 15x then? you're acting like it was a 7 inch difference between his arm length and everyone elses. at the most its about a 2 inch arm length difference, which is about 1 inch per arm then. it's like youre saying he would put up nothing if his arms were longer, which just isnt true.

and just to prove my point. Donald has a 32 5/8 arm length, Timmy Jernigan has a 31 5/8 arm length. now by your theory, because Jernigan has a shorter arm length he should be able to put up more since his arm length is shorter. all signs pointing to Jernigan putting up 225 more times than Donald..Donald put up 225 33x, Jernigan put up 225 27 times.

arm length does not mean less strength at all.

Comment

Yea just like broad jump measures 'work done', how much work they did from standing still to the end of their jump.

EVERY DRILL IN THE COMBINE MEASURES WORK DONE!!!!!!

So since you cant remove the distance aspect then you cant compare players or something?? What are you getting at with this one???

OK so what do you want a big 3 ton boulder and players have to push it ONCE and that will accurately measure their strength according to doctor slip??

... You say so much without saying anything at all, its like an artform
                          Broad jumps and vertical jumps measure distance. That's what they record. You factor weight into those to compare players.

Same as you compare weight in the 40. Fat guys run slower than light guys.

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
                            i mean it does indicate strength...so he has to put it up a shorter distance, that doesnt mean with longer arms hed only put up 225 15x then? you're acting like it was a 7 inch difference between his arm length and everyone elses. at the most its about a 2 inch arm length difference, which is about 1 inch per arm then. it's like youre saying he would put up nothing if his arms were longer, which just isnt true.

and just to prove my point. Donald has a 32 5/8 arm length, Timmy Jernigan has a 31 5/8 arm length. now by your theory, because Jernigan has a shorter arm length he should be able to put up more since his arm length is shorter. all signs pointing to Jernigan putting up 225 more times than Donald..Donald put up 225 33x, Jernigan put up 225 27 times.

arm length does not mean less strength at all.
                            Arm length is half of what a bench press measures.

Distance * force = bench reps

Comment

We dont need Nix or Jernigan, they dont fit our system. If we needed a NT and space eater then yes, but we already have Big Hank
                              Both of them are scheme versatile they don't have to be put in a 3-4 system playing NT to be good. Big Hank is going to need rest and Donald is not the Giants answer at DT. Donald is Overrated and will get chewed up in the NFL. Nix and Jerrnigan don't fit our system but a guy to small by every standard for a DT is a good fit cause he is fast?? I don't get this logic!!!!!!! I think it is better to have two down DTs that are run stuffers who have pass rushing ability and collapse the pocket over a pure Speed rusher at DT in Donald. Sorry i haven't bought into Donalds Hype i think he is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by DT2012 View Post
                                Both of them are scheme versatile they don't have to be put in a 3-4 system playing NT to be good. Big Hank is going to need rest and Donald is not the Giants answer at DT. Donald is Overrated and will get chewed up in the NFL. Nix and Jerrnigan don't fit our system but a guy to small by every standard for a DT is a good fit cause he is fast?? I don't get this logic!!!!!!! I think it is better to have two down DTs that are run stuffers who have pass rushing ability and collapse the pocket over a pure Speed rusher at DT in Donald. Sorry i haven't bought into Donalds Hype i think he is overrated.
                                You are comparing different positions.

3t vs 1t.

Jernigan, Nix, etc. are 1t players.

Donald like Jenkins is a 3t

Comment

Working...
                                X