LT/Clowney Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    If he tries? Yes. He has more ability than just about anyone in the league.

It's just a matter of how hard he will work to be the best.
    Exactly why it is such a risk to take him #1 overall. Hell its a risk for the top 5. Clowney could go one of 2 ways, feed off all the negative thrown at him all last year and push himself to dominate, or just kick back and expect people to think he is a beast before he even steps on the field. Personally, this would scare me big time if I was Houston. And if I really liked on eof those QBs, Id go that way. Is he worth the #1 pick if he becomes the next JPP? All that potential but not being tapped?

Obviously he COULD be amazing, but the very fact we have to explain why he didnt play well last year is very scary. And dont even get me going on his contract year... it would probably look like this past year (or like Nicks) if I am a betting man.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      Will he be better than JJ Watt? Julius Peppers? Mario Williams?
      His ceiling and upside are much higher, so I'd like to say yes. Anythings possible tho.
      2017 Draft Wishlist:
      1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
      2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
      3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
      4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
      5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
      6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
      7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
      "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Exactly why it is such a risk to take him #1 overall. Hell its a risk for the top 5. Clowney could go one of 2 ways, feed off all the negative thrown at him all last year and push himself to dominate, or just kick back and expect people to think he is a beast before he even steps on the field. Personally, this would scare me big time if I was Houston. And if I really liked on eof those QBs, Id go that way. Is he worth the #1 pick if he becomes the next JPP? All that potential but not being tapped?

Obviously he COULD be amazing, but the very fact we have to explain why he didnt play well last year is very scary. And dont even get me going on his contract year... it would probably look like this past year (or like Nicks) if I am a betting man.
        Clowney a risk, I've heard it all. Every players a risk. Clowneys got the least risk in the whole draft, that's why he is #1
        2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
        "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
        - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
          His ceiling and upside are much higher, so I'd like to say yes. Anythings possible tho.
          I agree, but did you see those players do what Clowney did his last year?

JJ Watt
          59 tackles -21 TFL - 7 sacks - 2 ff

Mario Williams
          62 Tackles - 24 TFL - 14.5 sacks - 1ff

Julius Peppers
          63 Tackles - 19 TFL - 9.5 sacks - 3 INTs

Jadeveon Clowney
          40 tackles - 11.5 TFL - 3 sacks - 1 ff

I just would of liked to see more his senior year if he was a beast.

Comment

Clowney a risk, I've heard it all. Every players a risk. Clowneys got the least risk in the whole draft, that's why he is #1
            Agree to disagree. Personally, I think Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews are the 2 players with the least risk. Clowney's motivation is what makes me make him a very risky pick. I could see him domiante, then disappear for a few games, something Tuck gets ripped for all the time here.

Comment

Clowney did not want to get hurt last year, I can't blame him. He hasn't made a dollar yet.
              2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
              - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Clowney did not want to get hurt last year, I can't blame him. He hasn't made a dollar yet.
                Ok. Well then, will he want to get hurt his contract year? How about down the stretch of a season where games are meaningless? Will he just play not to get hurt then too? Thats what scares me. LT never gave a crap about getting hurt, just hurting others.

Comment

Ok. Well then, will he want to get hurt his contract year? How about down the stretch of a season where games are meaningless? Will he just play not to get hurt then too? Thats what scares me. LT never gave a crap about getting hurt, just hurting others.
                  I don't think it was all about not getting hurt, but definitely in his mind. After his junior year, teams had his number. I watched him take doubles and triples his senior year as well as offenses sending the runs, boots, and screens wherever he wasn't. Def a reason his stats were down
                  Last edited by TAILGATIN'; 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM.
                  2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
                  - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

A lazy not trying Clowney is still probably an 8 sack a year player.

Comment

I don't think it was all about not getting hurt, but definitely in his mind. After his junior year, teams had his number. I watched him take doubles and triples his senior year as well as offenses sending the runs, boots, and screens wherever he wasn't. Def a reason his stats were down
                      hes a junior now, so last year was his sophomore and he couldnt come out. makes sense as to why he would take it easy for the year. you're projected #1 pick and all you have to do is not get hurt and that wont change, cant blame him

Comment

Double.post

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                          A lazy not trying Clowney is still probably an 8 sack a year player.
                          Highly doubt that. He only had 3 sacks in 2013 against college linemen. Why would he be better against better competition? A lazy not trying Clowney is sitting on a bench, something Spurrier would of done if he wasn't pressured to keep him playing.

Comment

Highly doubt that. He only had 3 sacks in 2013 against college linemen. Why would he be better against better competition? A lazy not trying Clowney is sitting.on a bench.
                            You could tell he didn't want to be out there. He knew no matter what he was going to be a top 5 pick unless he got injured. He will start to play like he did when he was killing people
                            sigpic
                            S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
                            ________________________________________________________
                            Mock Draft
                            1st) O.J Howard TE Bama 2nd) D. Walker DE F.S.U 3rd) S. Perine RB Oklahoma
                            4th) E. Magnuson OT/OG Mich 5th) J. Replogle DT Purde
                            6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn
                            ________________________________________________________
                            Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
                              You could tell he didn't want to be out there. He knew no matter what he was going to be a top 5 pick unless he got injured. He will start to play like he did when he was killing people
                              Why would you want a player with that kind of mentality which will most likely follow to the NFL? Give me an Andrew Luck who goes back to college another year after being projected #1 to perfect his craft. That's the kind of guy I want. Someone who gives a scrap. Sounds to me like Clowney is just chasing money with your description.

Comment

Highly doubt that. He only had 3 sacks in 2013 against college linemen. Why would he be better against better competition? A lazy not trying Clowney is sitting on a bench, something Spurrier would of done if he wasn't pressured to keep him playing.
                                He isn't going to be getting three blockers on him every play in the nfl.

He had no other talent on that DL at all really

Comment

Working...
                                X