Why it has to be OL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boogie12 View Post
    Agree with this...I also think Pugh would have gone before him also had it not been for certain intangibles.
    Matthews I think is rated higher than Joeckel Lewan is not far behind Matthews. Man would Matthews look good in blue thou.
    I think Matthews is every bit as good as the top OTs from last year. I think there is a considerable gap between Matthews and Lewan. I think Lewan is a LT in the NFL. I think he can be a 10 year starter there. I just don't think he elevates the offensive line as much as those other guys. I don't think he improves the team as much as other players at different positions even though the OL is still one of the more glaring weaknesses. I don't think he's worth the reshuffle at the offensive line that may move Pugh to a position of weakness in the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
      I think Matthews is every bit as good as the top OTs from last year. I think there is a considerable gap between Matthews and Lewan. I think Lewan is a LT in the NFL. I think he can be a 10 year starter there. I just don't think he elevates the offensive line as much as those other guys. I don't think he improves the team as much as other players at different positions even though the OL is still one of the more glaring weaknesses. I don't think he's worth the reshuffle at the offensive line that may move Pugh to a position of weakness in the interior.
      So would you move up for Matthews -- like to 6 or 7?

Comment

I can see your point however I don't think Pugh should or will be moved. Tackles are hard to come by and drafting one and seeing him be your best lineman as a rookie shows incredible promise. Lewan would be an upgrade over Beatty. I was a big Beatty supporter and thought as long as he got stronger he could be a dominant LT. That's not happening he's way to inconsistent and honestly I don't think he's ever going to be what we all hoped he would. Problem is theirs not much behind him. CBrown is not an answer. Not saying to take Lewan I wish we could get Matthews but he's unreachable baring a miracle. However I don't think the gap is all that great between Matthews and Lewan. Is their a gap - yes Matthews is a slightly better player right now and could potentially be a great player. Wish I had seen him 1 on 1 against Clowney as Lewan did. Would have been interesting. Lewan did well in that game thou.

Comment

I think it could easily see it be a OL after last years disaster, but David Wilson's career was not ruined by that. It was ruined by him not being patient behind the OL and his weak arms / hands.
          WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
            I think it could easily see it be a OL after last years disaster, but David Wilson's career was not ruined by that. It was ruined by him not being patient behind the OL and his weak arms / hands.
            Funny, I thought it was his injury?
            2017 Draft Wishlist:
            1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
            2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
            3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
            4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
            5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
            6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
            7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
            "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
            - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
              Funny, I thought it was his injury?
              That was probably just the final nail in the coffin. What did he do before that? He never showed he was nothing more than a 3rd down scat back who had fumbling problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                That was probably just the final nail in the coffin. What did he do before that? He never showed he was nothing more than a 3rd down scat back who had fumbling problems.
                Disagree. He showed plenty of his talent and breakaway speed. Had we not had such a terrible line and been playing from behind the whole year, I think we would have seen just what Wilson is capable of. Maybe we still will one day. I realize many of you don't like him which is fine, I'm a supporter and looking for a comeback.
                Last edited by TAILGATIN'; 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM.
                2017 Draft Wishlist:
                1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
                2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
                3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
                4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
                5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
                6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
                7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
                "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
                - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
                  Disagree. He showed plenty of his talent and breakaway speed. Had we not had such a terrible line and been playing from behind the whole year, I think we would have seen just what Wilson is capable of. Maybe we still will one day. I realize many of you don't like him which is fine, I'm a supporter and looking for a comeback.
                  Its not that I dont like him. He is a Giant. I want him to come back and prove me wrong. I just dont feel he has all the tools to be a great RB. Sur ehe is blazing fast, but a RB needs more than that. Can he block? Can he catch out of the backfield? Can he read blitzes? Can he be patient and let holes develop? How is his vision? Can he hold on to the ball? All these things are needed to be a solid RB.

Comment

I can see your point however I don't think Pugh should or will be moved. Tackles are hard to come by and drafting one and seeing him be your best lineman as a rookie shows incredible promise. Lewan would be an upgrade over Beatty. I was a big Beatty supporter and thought as long as he got stronger he could be a dominant LT. That's not happening he's way to inconsistent and honestly I don't think he's ever going to be what we all hoped he would. Problem is theirs not much behind him. CBrown is not an answer. Not saying to take Lewan I wish we could get Matthews but he's unreachable baring a miracle. However I don't think the gap is all that great between Matthews and Lewan. Is their a gap - yes Matthews is a slightly better player right now and could potentially be a great player. Wish I had seen him 1 on 1 against Clowney as Lewan did. Would have been interesting. Lewan did well in that game thou.
                    I agree about not moving Pugh. I think a kick inside works away from his strengths and against his weaknesses. Regarding Beatty, he's only one year into a contract. I don't think people are understanding the reality of it that he is contractually tethered to the Giants for some time. Should they get another LT, it will be Pugh who moves. That much turnover on the offensive line just isn't worth it for Lewan. There is even a considerable possibility that it may do more harm than good with the sabotaging of two successive first rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Jagger View Post
                      So would you move up for Matthews -- like to 6 or 7?
                      I don't think I would. As poorly as Beatty played last season, I still think there is more urgency in the interior OL to rush up and trade assets away on something that does not completely fix the line.

Comment

I agree that the Giants need to draft some O-line help but they dont need a tackle, they need interior lineman. You can get one of the highest ranked guards in the second round and use the 12th pick on a playmaker like Evans/Ebron.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                          No. It's not. It's not top 20 talent. He isn't physical at all. He reminds me of Jonathan Martin coming out with a little more athleticism.

The idea that he is some sure fire top LT is absolutely delusional.
                          100% disagree. He is leaps and bounds better than Martin was coming out. You have your opinion and I have mine. I think Lewan has the potential to be a franchise LT.

Comment

I agree about not moving Pugh. I think a kick inside works away from his strengths and against his weaknesses. Regarding Beatty, he's only one year into a contract. I don't think people are understanding the reality of it that he is contractually tethered to the Giants for some time. Should they get another LT, it will be Pugh who moves. That much turnover on the offensive line just isn't worth it for Lewan. There is even a considerable possibility that it may do more harm than good with the sabotaging of two successive first rounders.
                            I don't think because the Giants gave him the contract they wont ask him to renegotiate...He's not going to get it done. Maybe he has a better year but after last year just a little better effort is an improvement. That said I don't think he has it to become a dominant LT. IF you ask me to pick between Lewan and Beatty I'm going to pick Lewan. Stronger guy with a much higher ceiling. the OL needs talent desperately.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
                              100% disagree. He is leaps and bounds better than Martin was coming out. You have your opinion and I have mine. I think Lewan has the potential to be a franchise LT.
                              Agree he does have the potential to be a franchise LT. The skill set is their it's all up to him if he wants it. Team him with Pugh Schwartz & Snee as a mentor you may have something really special.

Comment

I don't think because the Giants gave him the contract they wont ask him to renegotiate...He's not going to get it done. Maybe he has a better year but after last year just a little better effort is an improvement. That said I don't think he has it to become a dominant LT. IF you ask me to pick between Lewan and Beatty I'm going to pick Lewan. Stronger guy with a much higher ceiling. the OL needs talent desperately.
                                Guys don't renegotiate multi-year contracts after one year unless they're simply moving base salary into bonuses. It's fiscally not in the Giants' favor to threaten to release him either. He'll be a Giant until at least 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X