Do you think TE Colt is worth the risk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here and don't agree w Colt or Sterlings comments in the least bit, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Race and politics are a work of difference apart. One is self-choice, the other you are born into. Commenting on what one might view as political conspiracies may seem stupid, but it's completely different than racism by a long shot.
    An offensive opinion is an offensive opinion, regardless of the topic. Just like Sterling's racist comments touched a nerve with people, Lyerla's comments about Sandy Hook touched a nerve with people. While the subject matters are completely different, it doesn't change the fact that they elicited strong emotions in people and both Sterling and Lyerla are being judged by their comments.

School shootings are a serious thing in this country and when you say that the parents are lying about their kids being dead then you're going to be judged by that comment. That's not really a political issue, that's a issue of bad taste.
    One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Do you guys remember how many republicans were saying the same thing he tweeted? I'm bipartisan, but he's a young kid who probably listened to the wrong news program or radio broadcast. Bottom line is the kid could use some head meds but I think if he can pull it together he'd be a fine TE and we have a huge weakness there.
      2017 Draft Wishlist:
      1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
      2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
      3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
      4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
      5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
      6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
      7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
      "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Do you guys remember how many republicans were saying the same thing he tweeted? I'm bipartisan, but he's a young kid who probably listened to the wrong news program or radio broadcast. Bottom line is the kid could use some head meds but I think if he can pull it together he'd be a fine TE and we have a huge weakness there.
        What republicans were saying this? Seems like political suicide to me . . . which is more evidence that publicizing dumb opinions has consequences

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
          I know Sterling has been identified with being a racist in the past and he deserves to get slammed for his comments. Just like Lyerla deserves to get slammed for his comments about Sandy Hook. Just because Lyerla doesn't have a long history of making offensive comments like Sterling does of practicing discrimination, doesn't mean that Lyerla shouldn't be condemned for his comments the way Sterling is being condemned for his.

Just like people are offended by Sterling's racist comments, people are also offended by Lyerla's comments about a school shooting being a conspiracy and saying that the parents lied about their kids being killed. Just like Sterling and Lyerla are entitled to express their opinions the people that are offended by those opinions are equally entitled to express their opinions of displeasure.
          No. This kid posted these video(s) which caused him to create his own opinion and conclusions. He did not make it up. He reviewed info and believes it. Whether the info he saw on youtube is correct or incorrect is a different subject matter totally. He believes this to be true or suspicious, hence his agreement with a conspiracy theory. He did not make this up, he believes it to be true. Anderson Cooper even conducted an investigation because all this controversy. This has absolutely nothing to do nor similar with Sterlings actions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrngd...ctr=1400084851

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyhX3B8HYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-UNwE1pWU
          1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

There was also some crazy viral video on YouTube that went into detail about the conspiracy, young minds are easily manipulated. It was a sick idea, but I don't hold it against him if that's what he believed at the time. Even newspapers printed stories about the conspiracies. I know it's sick but I can't blame a young guy biting it. More concerned over drugs that that.
            2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
            "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
            - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
              No. This kid posted these video(s) which caused him to create his own opinion and conclusions. He did not make it up. He reviewed info and believes it. Whether the info he saw on youtube is correct or incorrect is a different subject matter totally. He believes this to be true or suspicious, hence his agreement with a conspiracy theory. He did not make this up, he believes it to be true. Anderson Cooper even conducted an investigation because all this controversy. This has absolutely nothing to do nor similar with Sterlings actions.

You make no sense.

Sterling's opinions and this kid's opinions are just that . . . opinions . . . . the fact that they relate to different subjects doesn't matter in the least.

You first seemed to say that everyone should be able to state their own opinions without ramification. Now you seem to be saying that this principle of yours doesn't apply to certain opinions -- for example, those opinions related to race. Which is it? Should everybody be able to publicize any opinion on any subject with no ramifications whatsoever, or does that only apply to certain categories of opinions that apparently you will decide for the rest of us?

Comment

There was also some crazy viral video on YouTube that went into detail about the conspiracy, young minds are easily manipulated. It was a sick idea, but I don't hold it against him if that's what he believed at the time. Even newspapers printed stories about the conspiracies. I know it's sick but I can't blame a young guy biting it. More concerned over drugs that that.
                Key word "crazy"

What do you think the reaction of the local media would be if we signed this train wreck? You don't think that they would ask him about his conspiracy theories?

It would be an absolute disaster for him and the team. If he has a future in the NFL, it probably won't be within a 100 mile radius of Sandy Hook Elementary.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                  You make no sense.

Sterling's opinions and this kid's opinions are just that . . . opinions . . . . the fact that they relate to different subjects doesn't matter in the least.

You first seemed to say that everyone should be able to state their own opinions without ramification. Now you seem to be saying that this principle of yours doesn't apply to certain opinions -- for example, those opinions related to race. Which is it? Should everybody be able to publicize any opinion on any subject with no ramifications whatsoever, or does that only apply to certain categories of opinions that apparently you will decide for the rest of us?
                  A college kid stated an opinion on news clips.

Sterling had willful malicious intent over many years proven in court.

Maybe that's simple enough for you to comprehend.

Comment

+1

Comment

Key word "crazy"

What do you think the reaction of the local media would be if we signed this train wreck? You don't think that they would ask him about his conspiracy theories?

It would be an absolute disaster for him and the team. If he has a future in the NFL, it probably won't be within a 100 mile radius of Sandy Hook Elementary.
                      Not saying I disagree at all, he will have to answer questions just like he did at the combine. I'm saying if he can pull it together I'd love a killer UDFA to fill a big need, that's all.
                      2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
                      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

A college kid stated an opinion on news clips.

Sterling had willful malicious intent over many years proven in court.

Maybe that's simple enough for you to comprehend.
                        Sterling faced no ramifications from the NBA whatsoever for whatever happened in court in the past. He now faces ramifications for an offensive opinion that was taped and publicized. What happened before the tape was publicized is completely irrelevant because Sterling has not and is not facing any ramifications because of that -- the ramifications that he is now facing arise solely from the opinions that he recently stated on that tape.

If it was just as trivial as a silly college kid stating an opinion on a news clip (as you say), why did Oregon come out with this statement:

“Twitter posts attributed to student-athlete Colt Lyerla concerning the tragedy at Sandy Hook are insensitive and offensive, especially those devastated by the shootings, and we have communicated as much to Colt. Though the University of Oregon Department of Athletics as well as the football program have social media expectations in place for our student-athletes, at times, personal opinions go well beyond what we expect from our students. The University of Oregon and Department of Athletics understand that our young men and women have a great deal of freedom of expression on social media but with that freedom comes responsibility. Our prayers and thoughts continue to be with the families of Sandy Hook.”

So what is your bottom line? Do you think that the Giants or any NFL tam considering signing this dip**** should not in any way consider his opinions on Sandy Hook?

Comment

Not saying I disagree at all, he will have to answer questions just like he did at the combine. I'm saying if he can pull it together I'd love a killer UDFA to fill a big need, that's all.
                          You know, if the team did it's research and came to the conclusion that the kid had reformed, wasn't on drugs and just misunderstood something that he had seen on the Sandy Hook tragedy, then maybe he would be worth the risk. I just can't accept the proposition that a team looking to sign this kid must completely ignore the Sandy Hook thing. That's just poor business.

Comment

Sterling faced no ramifications from the NBA whatsoever for whatever happened in court in the past. He now faces ramifications for an offensive opinion that was taped and publicized. What happened before the tape was publicized is completely irrelevant because Sterling has not and is not facing any ramifications because of that -- the ramifications that he is now facing arise solely from the opinions that he recently stated on that tape.

If it was just as trivial as a silly college kid stating an opinion on a news clip (as you say), why did Oregon come out with this statement:

“Twitter posts attributed to student-athlete Colt Lyerla concerning the tragedy at Sandy Hook are insensitive and offensive, especially those devastated by the shootings, and we have communicated as much to Colt. Though the University of Oregon Department of Athletics as well as the football program have social media expectations in place for our student-athletes, at times, personal opinions go well beyond what we expect from our students. The University of Oregon and Department of Athletics understand that our young men and women have a great deal of freedom of expression on social media but with that freedom comes responsibility. Our prayers and thoughts continue to be with the families of Sandy Hook.”

So what is your bottom line? Do you think that the Giants or any NFL tam considering signing this dip**** should not in any way consider his opinions on Sandy Hook?
                            The University of Oregon and Department of Athletics understand that our young men and women have a great deal of freedom of expression on social media but with that freedom comes responsibility. Our prayers and thoughts continue to be with the families of Sandy Hook.”

Freedom of Speech. The school did not say he did anything wrong. Insensitive yes. You stated my point exactly. He believed the info on the clips I attached. Maybe should review them completely, because they are very convincing and I do not know the real truth of what happened. Neither do you.

Yes, Sterling has been taken to court for the same behavior prior to this NBA incident.

The kid has an unfortunate drug problem, like many others who are throwing away their careers due to drugs. He is not a terrorist nor conspirator. The FO on any team should make this decision, not me.
                            Last edited by BigBlueBoricua; 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

The fact remains that Lyerla posted an opinion that is widely viewed as controversial/offensive. How he came to that opinion is irrelevant. When you get on social media and start claiming that parents are lying about their kids being dead in a school shooting then you should expect some pushback. Lyerla is entitled to post and say whatever he wants and people are allowed to agree or disagree with his opinion.

And the only reason why I questioned you about Sterling is because you were the one who said that you had an issue with people on the board judging another person's opinions, regardless of topic. Regardless of topic includes everything from racism to political conspiracies and everything in the middle.
                              One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
                                The fact remains that Lyerla posted an opinion that is widely viewed as controversial/offensive. How he came to that opinion is irrelevant. When you get on social media and start claiming that parents are lying about their kids being dead in a school shooting then you should expect some pushback. Lyerla is entitled to post and say whatever he wants and people are allowed to agree or disagree with his opinion.

And the only reason why I questioned you about Sterling is because you were the one who said that you had an issue with people on the board judging another person's opinions, regardless of topic. Regardless of topic includes everything from racism to political conspiracies and everything in the middle.
                                My premise was a team should not sign him because he has drug problems and conduct issues. If he agrees with some news reports that he believes are true, should not be the reason he is not signed. That was my point.

Comment

Working...
                                X