X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bLuereverie
    started a topic Cornerback Thread

Cornerback Thread

Thought we could start a cornerback specific discussion rather than go back and forth between threads.

I've always had an affinity for the position, and in today's game, it's the counter to the arms race.

Now obviously, the primary debate at hand is which best fits the Giants in skillset, projected draft position and so on, but don't let that be the end all in the discussion.

Morris Claiborne LSU Jr 6-0 185 vid

Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama Jr 6-2 192

Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska Sr 5-10 205 vid

Janoris Jenkins North Alabama Sr 5-10 182 vid2010

Chase Minnifield Virginia rSr 6-0 185

Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech Jr 5-10 172

Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina Jr 6-1 193

Trumaine Johnson Montana Sr 6-2 204

Brandon Boykin Georgia Sr 5-10 183

Leonard Johnson Iowa State Sr 5-10 202

Coryell Judie Texas A&M rSr 5-11 190

Shaun Prater Iowa Sr 5-10 185

Cliff Harris Oregon Jr 5-11 168 vid 2010

Josh Robinson UCF Jr 5-10 192

Donnie Fletcher Boston College Sr 6-1 195

Omar Bolden Arizona State rSr 5-10 195

Casey Hayward Vanderbilt Sr 5-11 188

Ryan Steed Furman Sr 5-11 190

Jamell Fleming Oklahoma rSr 5-11 192

just quick list pasted from cbs. will update remaining prospects of this year and next as well as vids/reports

• bLuereverie
    replied
    Re: Cornerback Thread

Gilmore played plenty of zone and at best, press bail in college. He looks explosive to the ball and to the run, but limited to teams who play zone like perhaps NE. I just didn't find anything footage with him playing any man.

Leave a comment:

• slipknottin
    replied

[quote user="critters"] Dequan Menzie, although he's just shy of 6ft.[/quote]

Hes just over 5'10, actually.

Like every alabama prospect, he measured shorter than expected

Leave a comment:

• critters
    replied

I'm not very high on Gilmore. He's just too inconsistent IMO.

It's unfortunate Dre Kirkpatrick will be gone by the time we draft, but there's another guy on that Alabama squad we need to seriously consider in Dequan Menzie, although he's just shy of 6ft. His cover skills are great and his tackling is very impressive. He also beat out D. Milliner at Alabama, a 5 star player that had started the year before Menzie got to campus.

Josh Norman is a tall/rangy CB to watch for. 6ft about 200lbs, long arms and good speed. Him and Trumaine Johnson are guys with great measurables and speed that could turn into elite CBs but would start off as projects IMO.

I also like Brandon Boykin. He's a little on the small size but his cover skills really impressed me this year. He'd also be a good return man.

Leave a comment:

• slipknottin
    replied

[quote user="bLuereverie"]
    Is George Iloka a FS or CB?[/quote]

FS, but he has experience playing CB.

Leave a comment:

• bLuereverie
    replied

[quote user="deekay7685"]instead of resigning TT to even a 1 yr contract why not look elsewhere.
    i would like us to sign BCarr from KCT. someone is a quality player (though not a star) and doesn;t have an injury history.
    a secondary of webster-carr-phillips- rolle w/ prince would be nice.
    i would draft someone in the 4th (Hayward) or 5th round such as Asa Jackson, a kid with blazing speed and can double as a good punt returner.[/quote]

The cost of signing a cornerback like BCarr who will ask for starting CB money will be far more pricey than signing TT to a short term deal to reestablish his value in a healthy season.

Some of my notes and observations from Senior Bowl practice:

Janoris Jenkins has been up and down in compe***ion, but for the most part has been battling throughout nicely.

On the other end, Alfonzo Dennard hasn't looked good at all. He has a great break to the ball on the short routes, but has looked horrible in off man to say the least. It looks like there are only three corners who deserve a first round selection right now.

Everyone's favorite Casey Hayward has looked solid and consistent. He lacks speed as he got beat on some of the deep routes, but hard to blame him when they're playing one on one with no safety help. Doesn't bite on many moves, and in the few times he got "beat" on shorter and intermediate routes. he was in great position to make a play and just missed out on an awkward throw and one-hand catch from Criner.

This Bentley kid from Louisiana Lafayette has probably had the finest practices thus far. Looks dwarfed next to some of these receivers, but has held his own, especially against Dwight Jones who probably has a good 6" on him.

Leonard Johnson from Iowa is someone I know nothing about but heard raves about from commentary. Haven't seen what exactly they are seeing though from practices. Looks best matched up at the line, but not so much i coverage.

Is George Iloka a FS or CB?

Leave a comment:

• deekay7685
    replied

instead of resigning TT to even a 1 yr contract why not look elsewhere.
    i would like us to sign BCarr from KCT. someone is a quality player (though not a star) and doesn;t have an injury history.
    a secondary of webster-carr-phillips- rolle w/ prince would be nice.
    i would draft someone in the 4th (Hayward) or 5th round such as Asa Jackson, a kid with blazing speed and can double as a good punt returner.

Leave a comment:

• titwio
    replied

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="***wio"]I definitely wouldn't mind Harris. I don't think he's 1st round material even though people were projecting him there before the season started. [/quote]

Definitely not. Certainly cant show up to the combine at 165 pounds either.

Will be interesting, love him mid-late rounds.[/quote]

Yeah I'd love him there too. Last year all kinds of draft heads were projecting Harris to be a top 20 pick...maybe even top 15 in 2012.

Here's one of the articles on him....
    http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index....erback_cl.html

Leave a comment:

• slipknottin
    replied

[quote user="***wio"]I definitely wouldn't mind Harris. I don't think he's 1st round material even though people were projecting him there before the season started. [/quote]

Definitely not. Certainly cant show up to the combine at 165 pounds either.

Will be interesting, love him mid-late rounds.

Leave a comment:

• titwio
    replied

[quote user="slipknottin"]Ive always loved Cliff Harris. Even if he is an idiot.

But if he actually does measure in at 5'11, I could certainly see him being a target mid rounds. Best off man coverage CB in the draft, IMO.

His return skills would be a huge added bonus.[/quote]

I definitely wouldn't mind Harris. I don't think he's 1st round material even though people were projecting him there before the season started.

I'm curious to find out what slot he does land in. One things for sure is the Giants need another corner especially with guys coming back off injuries FA and such.

Leave a comment:

• titwio
    replied

[quote user="lawl"]

If he isnt 6'. Chances are we arent drafting him early

[/quote]

Chase is exactly 6'0...He's the same size as Prince.

Leave a comment:

• slipknottin
    replied

Ive always loved Cliff Harris. Even if he is an idiot.

But if he actually does measure in at 5'11, I could certainly see him being a target mid rounds. Best off man coverage CB in the draft, IMO.

His return skills would be a huge added bonus.

Leave a comment:

• lawl
    replied

If he isnt 6'. Chances are we arent drafting him early

Leave a comment:

• titwio
    replied

I've always liked Kirkpatrick because of his size and physicality but he's going waayy before the Giants pick.

Right now I'm on the Chase Minnifield bandwagon. I've been watching a lot of tape on him and he'd be great addition to the secondary. He's a play maker and plays zone very well as well as man. I'd love if the Giants went CB in the 1st again and they should be in prime position for him in the late 20's....Just depends on what players fall and who's the BPA in that spot.

Leave a comment:

• slipknottin
    replied

Hes right, as good as Mathieu's ball skills are, he will never be drafted by the giants.

Giants draft prototype defensive players, especially DBs. They just steer clear of DBs under 5'11.

Perhaps under 5'11 if a guy had exceptionally long arms they would take a look, but I dont think Mathieu is a freak like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X