No announcement yet.

Strick's Mocks 2016-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me, or does this DT class not 'WOW' anyone. Yeah there are a few decent guys but nobody special
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post
      Is it just me, or does this DT class not 'WOW' anyone. Yeah there are a few decent guys but nobody special
      I agree. There's Brantley and then some tweeter guys who might play 3t, but are probably better off playing 5t (Allen, Thomas). There's some other mid round guys that I'd like (Mon Adams, Eddie Vanderoes among others), but it's certainly not as deep as last years class. Luckily however, RB, DE, and TE are all stacked.

Comment

I'd be stoked to get Maybin in the 4th.
        2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
        Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
        Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
        Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
        Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
        Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
        Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Comment

Originally posted by Jmulroy99 View Post
          I agree. There's Brantley and then some tweeter guys who might play 3t, but are probably better off playing 5t (Allen, Thomas). There's some other mid round guys that I'd like (Mon Adams, Eddie Vanderoes among others), but it's certainly not as deep as last years class. Luckily however, RB, DE, and TE are all stacked.
          Even Brantley doesn't wow me, maybe I've just been spoiled by the past few years DT classes, but I don't want us Taking 1 with any of our 1st 3 rounds

Personally, I think we'd be better off signing Hankins and drafting a DE to replace JPP
          Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Even Brantley doesn't wow me, maybe I've just been spoiled by the past few years DT classes, but I don't want us Taking 1 with any of our 1st 3 rounds

Personally, I think we'd be better off signing Hankins and drafting a DE to replace JPP
            I like Carlos Watkins from Clemson maybe in the 2nd. Gets a good interior push and good in the run game.

Comment

It's been forever since I have made one of these. I have been sick and busy with school and work. I have a lot of spare time today and the weather is bad outside, so I figured I might as well hop back into it. I have to admit I have been slacking quite a bit this year, but I paid close attention to the combine and have a good amount of guys that I already liked before the combine. With the few signings we have made I will have to adjust my previous mocks a bit.

1st round- Forest Lamp OG/OT Western Kentucky- This guy was someone that I checked out before the combine, because he was getting a ton of buzz and I really liked what I saw. He killed it at the combine too, so his stock is seriously rising. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being gone by the time we pick, but if he is there then it would be a very solid pick IMO.

STRENGTHS: Balanced movement skills with low hips in his shuffle. Resets well with lower body flexibility and lateral quicks to sit in his stance, stay square and mirror. Quick, efficient coil with the grip strength to lock out and maintain spacing between him and rushers. Aggressive hands to answer counter measures. Broad-shouldered frame with developed build. Proper kickslide depth to push speed rushers away from the pocket. Aware of his surroundings to pick up spins and stunts, closing inside rush lanes. Physical run blocker, rolling his hips at contact and creating movement. Blocks with a stubborn mentality and competes with the inner confidence required to face NFL linemen. Rarely ends up on the ground. Reliable playing temperament in both practice and games - voted a two-time captain. Strong preparation habits and knows his opponent. Four-year starter with 51 career starts (48 at left tackle, three at right guard), including 42 consecutive starts at one point.
              WEAKNESSES: Adequate wingspan, but below average arm length. Looks to get a head start protecting the edge, setting too aggressive outside and late protecting inside moves. Hurries his technique vs. speed, leading to wild limb use. Average lower body mass and frame appears maxed out. Reliable square blocker, but can struggle with defenders on his edge. Limited starting experience inside at guard. Missed two games as a senior due to a leg injury (Sept. 2016) and was forced to sit out the Senior Bowl due to a high ankle sprain (Jan. 2017).

NFL COMPARISON: Zach Martin, Dallas Cowboys -- While unfair to compare him to an All-Pro NFL lineman, Lamp has a similar square blocking style as a college left tackle with the technique and tenacity to dominate in smaller quarters.
              --Dane Brugler (1/30/17)

2nd round- Evan Engram TE Ole Miss- Now, I would love to get someone like Njoku or Howard, but I have a hard time believing that they will be there when we pick. If they are there in the first I would love the pick. We picked up a very solid blocking TE/RB in Ellison. Engram is a freakish athlete and is a legit threat in the passing game. Plus the last guy from Ole Miss with the nickname "Eazy E" panned out pretty well for us lol

STRENTHS: While listed as a tight end on the roster, Engram is better described as a versatile offensive weapon, lining up out wide, in-line and in the background at Ole Miss. He looks more like a physical wideout than traditional tight end with his size and growth potential, but his athleticism allows him to create mismatches vs. linebackers and safeties.
              Engram has elite short-area quickness for the position with excellent release off the line of scrimmage and agile feet to create separation out of his breaks and make defenders miss. He is also a tougher blocker than he looks with a quick punch and excellent balance.

IN OUR VIEW: Engram might not fit the prototypical profile of NFL tight ends, but he can be a difference-maker in the right offense.

3rd round- Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa- I am not sure if we are going to be able to bring Hankins back, because of the signings we have already made. If we don't resign him then we will need to address that position for sure. I think Bromley is solid, but I think there needs to be more depth at the position. Johnson is a fun player to watch. If you haven't watched him I would recommend watching one of his games on Draftbreakdown or just search him on Youtube. Very powerful player that plays with a really nasty streak, but also has good fundamentals while doing so. He is really good vs the run and he is a very solid power rush guy from the DT spot. I think he would be a really nice addition to the DT position for this team.

4th round- Conor McDermott OT UCLA- He is a guy that I think would really help the depth at the tackle position. I think the OL would our best in a while with the total amount of serviceable bodies. Flowers, Pugh, Richburg, Jerry, Hart, Fluker, Lamp, McDermott, etc... That is a pretty deep OL and for the most part very young.

STRENGTHS: Using the length and surprisingly light feet which no doubt helped him box out opponents on the basketball court, McDermott possesses two of the most important attributes in becoming a quality pass protector. He gains good depth in his initial kick slide, showing balance and agility to shuffle laterally to mirror opponents. He possesses long arms and good strength in his hands to latch on and control smaller defenders and anticipates counter moves well, reacting efficiently when he keeps his knees bent and feet active. McDermott showed resiliency in bouncing back after a couple of tough reps at the Senior Bowl, showing the tenacity he will need to develop in the NFL. Further, with only three years playing the position and some correctable issues in his technique, McDermott does come with some untapped potential.
              WEAKNESSES: While more athletic than he looks, McDermott does not possess elite initial quickness to remain at left tackle against today's speed rushers, something which stood out far too often at the Senior Bowl. Too often he is late off the snap, relying upon his length to recover. Further, for a man of his size, McDermott needs to work on generating more functional power in the running game. He is quick enough to turn and seal off opponents but struggles generating movement at the point of attack. More time in the weight room could help in this regard but McDermott also needs to work on fundamentals. When actively chopping his feet, McDermott can remain in front of pass rushers. When he plants his feet, however, McDermott has a tendency to lean into his opponent, leaving him flat-footed, bending at the waist and susceptible to counter moves.

IN OUR VIEW: In terms of his NFL projection, McDermott's best chance for duplicating his success at UCLA will likely be on the right side. Given that he possesses a relatively flat back side and thin legs, there is some question as to whether he will ever possess the functional lower body power to hold up to NFL bull rushers.

5th round- Jamaal Williams RB BYU- He is still a player I really like. I think he would be a solid compliment to Perkins and Vereen. He runs very hard and doesn't do much dancing. He is your one-cut and straight downhill from there guy. He is capable of making people miss in open field, breaking tackles, or running past people.

STRENGTHS: Shows lateral agility and surprising balance for a back with his high-cut frame. Impressive power for his build, consistently generating yardage after contact. Keeps his legs churning and spins out of tackles, falling forward to rack up extra yards.
              His acceleration comes naturally. His mother was a standout sprinter at UCLA and he ran for the BYU track team in 2014.
              --Rob Rang (9/14/14)

6th round- Jalen Reeves-Maybin OLB Tennessee- He has been one of my favorite players since I was scouting last year. I still remember a game vs Oklahoma last year when he had something like 22 tackles in the game. He is great at reading what the offense is doing. He might not be a big hitter at all, but he is typically a reliable tackler as far as getting his guy to the ground or holding him up until someone else can clean it up. In the 6th round I absolutely love the value.

__________________________________________________ _________

7th round- Des Lawrence CB North Carolina- He is a guy that could add depth to the CB position. He was a 3 yr starter in the ACC which is solid value in the 7th round. I think at the very least he could be someone who could bring something to this team in the ST's department

STRENGTHS: Meets the ideal requirements for height and length at the position. Disruptive in press and stays on top of routes with coordinated footwork to maintain body position. Improved route recognition to keep spacing in man coverage. Uses field leverage to pin receivers to the sideline and turn his head to find the ball. Not shy about using his hands and length in coverage and at the catch point (30 career passes defended). Nice job reading the eyes of the receiver to sense throws in his direction. Physical, drag down tackler with strong hands/wrists. Good edge speed as a blitzer. Experienced on special teams coverages. Durable three-year starter and locked-in competitor, giving consistent effort on each snap
              WEAKNESSES: Only average long-speed and lacks an explosive gear in pursuit or to recover after a receiver gains a step vertically. Forces receivers to run laterally in his jam, but overeager play style will lead to false steps near the line of scrimmage. Pops upright in his transition and tall center of gravity leads to balance issues. Needs to polish his cover mechanics. Prefers to play his man more than the ball, which will limit interception opportunities ? only three interceptions in 39 career starts. Has some dropped interceptions on his film. Can be fooled by ball and head fakes. Physical striker, but needs to eliminate the missed tackles by improving his angles and balance when breaking down on the move. Needs to avoid and detach quicker from perimeter blocks.
              --Dane Brugler (1/7/17)

Before I make my next mock I really need to get a good feel for our true needs after the signings we made. I kind of just winged this one. I think these players, especially early on would really help the team.
              sigpic
              S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
              __________________________________________________ ______
              Mock Draft
              1st) O.J Howard TE Bama 2nd) D. Walker DE F.S.U 3rd) S. Perine RB Oklahoma
              4th) E. Magnuson OT/OG Mich 5th) J. Replogle DT Purde
              6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn
              Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

Comment

LOVE the 1st 3 rounds and Maybin, but thats about it. Good overall mock though

Comment

LOVE the 1st 3 rounds and Maybin, but thats about it. Good overall mock though
                  Yeah, 4-7 is where the rust really showed. A lot has shifted since my last mock about a month ago or whatever. I really like those picks as well. I'm a fan of Williams too, but I wouldn't be against grabbing a RB earlier. 7th round was a real mystery for me hahaha
                  sigpic
                  Mock Draft
                  Strick's 2015 All-Sleeper Team - http://boards.giants.com/showthread....t=sleeper+team

Comment

I have a set few guys that I REALLY like in this draft, but I have been doing a little more "research" and have grown to like quite a few new players that I really didn't look too much into before. It may not come out to be the most "ideal" draft, but I am mixing it up and trying to use all new players that I have not used in previous mock drafts (as far as I can remember lol)

1st round- Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford- The possibility of this pick has really grown on me as the draft gets closer. He still wouldn't be my top choice, in fact I have at least 3-5 people I would pick in front of him personally. That being said, his game speaks for itself. His ability to change the game in a single play is undeniable. He is a versatile player who we could use in the returning game and utilize in multiple different ways on offense. I think that him and Perkins would be a really exciting RB duo.

2nd round- Tyus Bowser OLB Houston- This pick is an example of a player that I have recently become a fan of. I never really checked him out until this week. I think that he has a ton of potential and think the Giants could be seriously interested in him. When I watched him I got a lot of similar vibes I got from Leonard Floyd last year. I wasn't huge on Floyd that early in the draft, but the talent was clearly there to become a very good player in the NFL. He isn't as tall as Floyd at 6'5-6'6 or whatever he was, but 6'3 is still tall for a LB. He can rush the passer well from the LB spot. He also is fluid in coverage for a tall LB. He is really athletic guy like Floyd as well. I think that him being a little shorter than Floyd will help him in run defense, because, like Floyd, he isn't the bruiser Ray Lewis type build. If the Giants were as high on Floyd as it sounded, then I think they would really like what they could get from a guy like Bowser in the 2nd.

3rd round- Antonio Garcia OT Troy- OL is still a major question mark IMO. I think that we could really use upgrades on the OL. That being said, this isn't the best OL draft from what I have seen. I wouldn't necessarily want to reach just to fill a need. Garcia in the 3rd is value that I like quite a bit. I think it would be ideal to get a player earlier if possible, but if there isn't anyone worth the pick at 23, I think they would be better off going in another direction.

STRENGTHS: Sports a prototypical tackle build with a tapered, high-cut frame, long arms and plenty of room for additional muscle mass without sacrificing his quickness. Poised in pass protection, easing out of his stance with an efficient kickslide and patiently waiting for the defender to come to him. Shows good quickness and balance to force defenders to run the arc around him. Slides easily, showing natural mirror skills, as well as some recovery ability even when beaten off the ball, effectively using his long arms and flexibility to get a late shove in on defenders. Looks to help out teammates when not covered up and shows some nastiness with well-timed punches to knock defenders down. Physicality extends to the running game, where Garcia does not appear to be satisfied with just walling off defenders, providing a good pop on contact with heavy hands and selling out with good core strength and leg drive to move the pile. Encouraging use of greater physicality against top competition, ratcheting up the intensity in the showdown with then No. 2 Clemson.

WEAKNESSES: Protected by an offense that routinely gets the ball out of the quarterback's hands quickly and rarely asks its linemen to block out of the three-point stance. Highly inconsistent hand placement, shooting them too low and leaving himself vulnerable to swim moves and too often reaching outside of the numbers and grabbing the side panels of the jersey. Can get lazy with his footwork, lunging rather than mirroring opponents and occasionally leaving easy lanes in the B gap (between the left guard) that NFL rushers will have no problems exploiting.

IN OUR VIEW: With his long arms, light feet and aggressive playing style, Garcia possesses the combination of traits scouts are looking for in a modern day offensive tackle. Given the caliber of players he's faced over his career, the level of competition question is not as concerning as the up-tempo scheme in which he played at Troy. With a little time to acclimate to a more traditional pro-style offense, Garcia could wind up "surprising" as an NFL starter.

COMPARES TO: David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers: The blindside protector for former NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers, Bakhtiari has gone from a fourth round pick (No. 109 overall in 2013) to a legitimate Pro Bowl candidate. Just like Garcia at Troy, Bakhtiari's quick feet, length and tenacity stood out at Colorado but scouts questioned how well he'd acclimate to the greater size and strength of the NFL.
                    --Rob Rang (1/16/17)

4th round- Nazair Jones DT North Carolina- If we don't bring back Hankins (or another solid DT), then I would probably prefer to address this position a little earlier than the 4th round. That being said I think a DT core of Snacks, Bromley, and Jones could be pretty dang solid. Snacks makes things easier for everyone on the DL due to the attention he demands, especially in the running game. We also have two really solid DE's that play the run and rush the passer well. Having those 3 main pieces on the DL will really make the job easier for the 2nd DT. I think we could live with going into the season with Bromley the starter and be just fine due to the talent already on the DL. That being said, it is always really nice to have depth on the DL. Jones is a guy that is solid vs the run game. He's physical and with someone like Snacks next to him, he will get more favorable matchups that will allow him to make plays vs the run and rush the passer.

5th round- George Kittle TE Iowa- In this strong TE class there are some players that are going to fall that would normally go higher if they were in a different draft class. Guys like George Kittle and Jeremy Sprinkle are two TE's that I think are really solid value picks in the mid-rounds. Kittle may be gone before this pick, but I don't think it is too unreasonable to say he could be here in the 5th. Iowa is a school that produces really solid OL and TE's. They are a school that prides itself on being tough on offense and defense. Their guys know how to block on offense, plain and simple. Kittle also surprised me a ton with his 4.52 40 time, which is essentially the same thing that O.J ran. That time is faster than TE's that are praised for their athleticism like Njoku and Hodges. If Kittle is here in the 5th this would be a great pick IMO.

6th round- Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee- This is a bit of an odd ball pick by myself, and I am willing to admit that. Dobbs is a guy with a lot of talent, but definitely could use some polishing before he would be ready to play in the league. He is a mobile guy with a really solid arm. He also is an incredibly bright guy. I was watching a Tennessee game and they were mentioning how he majored in Aerospace I believe. I am aware that we recently signed Geno, but I think someone like Dobbs is smart enough and talented enough to learn a lot from Eli. I think he has the tools to become solid NFL QB, but I would hope he never sees action for this team in the near future lol.

7th round- Nathan Gerry S Nebraska- This is a guy that made a TON of plays in his college career. I think the fact that Nebraska has been an average team at best for most of his career is a good reason why he is not as talked about as he could/should. He is currently projected to go undrafted on CBS Sports, but I think that in the 7th round this could be a really solid pick. At the very least Gerry will be able to be a guy on ST's that will make an impact. He is a big kid who can make tackles in the open field, deliver a big hit, and make plays on the ball in coverage. I am a big fan of the potential of a Collins/Thompson safety duo for years, but I think Gerry would be a guy that would be great for depth. Spags has used 3 safety looks in his past, so having another capable safety would be a good idea, especially in case of injury.
                    sigpic
                    Mock Draft

Comment

sigpic
                      Mock Draft

Comment

I could get fully behind a draft like this from the NYG. A ton of talent and fills a ton of needs
                        sigpic
                        Mock Draft

Comment

Me like, me like

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                            Me like, me like
                            Thanks! I think this would be an example of a draft that J.R could pull off and put us in position where we could seriously contend if we were to stay healthy. There is a good mix of solid players and players who can straight up change the game.
                            sigpic
                            Mock Draft

Comment

We can call Nate" 'Little" Jerry.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
                                We can call Nate" 'Little" Jerry.
                                LOL, I believe it is pronounced like his last name is Gary instead of Jerry
                                sigpic
                                Mock Draft

Comment

Working...
                                X