No announcement yet.

Strick's Mocks 2016-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st round- David Njoku TE Miami- He is not my top choice, but I would not be mad at the pick at all. He would definitely add another dimension to this offense. He has ELITE Y.A.C ability for a TE. He has the physical tools to be an excellent weapon in this offense. We have a couple solid blocking TE's in Adams and Ellison. Trying to cover OBJ, Marshall, Shep, and Njoku would be an absolute nightmare for defenses.

STRENGTHS: Rocked up body type with muscular physique. Loose athlete with freakish ease of movement. Explosive release and instantly accelerates to top speed in his routes. Catches the ball in stride with nimble feet and dynamic skills after the catch. Powerful strides to run over defenders, maintain his balance and pull away. Big play threat with 17.2% of his career catches going for 30+ yards. Large hands to attack the ball away from his frame. Highpoints and plays in the clouds with his leaping skills (national champion high jumper in high school and also competed on the Hurricanes track and field team). Mixes it up as a blocker, flashing a mean streak. Smooth shuffle to shield rushers from the pocket in pass pro. Added 25+ pounds since high school with room to get stronger. Finished tied for second in the FBS among tight ends with eight receiving touchdowns in 2016.
    WEAKNESSES: Still developing his frame and lower body bulk. Excitable route runner and lacks polish, tipping his path. Strong hands, but inconsistent focus and too many drops on his film. Not always interested in blocking and falls asleep at the wheel. Delivers pop as a blocker, but lacks the grip strength to sustain the point of attack. Catch blocker in pass pro. Undeveloped hand placement and mirror skills to hold up in space. Late to identify proper blocking angles, allowing defenders to leverage gaps. Lacks ideal experience (nine starts) and career production with only one career 100-yard receiving game.

NFL COMPARISON: Eric Ebron, Detroit Lions -- A physical marvel, Ebron rocketed up draft boards in the 2014 draft class and Njoku could see a similar rise due to his rare athleticism for his size.
    --Dane Brugler (2/2/17)

2nd round- Tyus Bowser OLB Houston- He is rising up the boards recently and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up going late first round. That being said, I think he has a lot of tools that would interest the NYG's. If they were as high on Floyd last year as it sounds, then I think Bowser is going to be a guy high on their board. He is a tall, long LB who can rush the passer and cover pretty dang well. I think he would be a great addition to the defense.

3rd round- Antonio Garcia OT Troy- OL is still a major question mark IMO. I think that we could really use upgrades on the OL. That being said, this isn't the best OL draft from what I have seen. I wouldn't necessarily want to reach just to fill a need. Garcia in the 3rd is value that I like quite a bit. I think it would be ideal to get a player earlier if possible, but if there isn't anyone worth the pick at 23, I think they would be better off going in another direction.

STRENGTHS: Sports a prototypical tackle build with a tapered, high-cut frame, long arms and plenty of room for additional muscle mass without sacrificing his quickness. Poised in pass protection, easing out of his stance with an efficient kickslide and patiently waiting for the defender to come to him. Shows good quickness and balance to force defenders to run the arc around him. Slides easily, showing natural mirror skills, as well as some recovery ability even when beaten off the ball, effectively using his long arms and flexibility to get a late shove in on defenders. Looks to help out teammates when not covered up and shows some nastiness with well-timed punches to knock defenders down. Physicality extends to the running game, where Garcia does not appear to be satisfied with just walling off defenders, providing a good pop on contact with heavy hands and selling out with good core strength and leg drive to move the pile. Encouraging use of greater physicality against top competition, ratcheting up the intensity in the showdown with then No. 2 Clemson.

WEAKNESSES: Protected by an offense that routinely gets the ball out of the quarterback's hands quickly and rarely asks its linemen to block out of the three-point stance. Highly inconsistent hand placement, shooting them too low and leaving himself vulnerable to swim moves and too often reaching outside of the numbers and grabbing the side panels of the jersey. Can get lazy with his footwork, lunging rather than mirroring opponents and occasionally leaving easy lanes in the B gap (between the left guard) that NFL rushers will have no problems exploiting.

IN OUR VIEW: With his long arms, light feet and aggressive playing style, Garcia possesses the combination of traits scouts are looking for in a modern day offensive tackle. Given the caliber of players he's faced over his career, the level of competition question is not as concerning as the up-tempo scheme in which he played at Troy. With a little time to acclimate to a more traditional pro-style offense, Garcia could wind up "surprising" as an NFL starter.

COMPARES TO: David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers: The blindside protector for former NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers, Bakhtiari has gone from a fourth round pick (No. 109 overall in 2013) to a legitimate Pro Bowl candidate. Just like Garcia at Troy, Bakhtiari's quick feet, length and tenacity stood out at Colorado but scouts questioned how well he'd acclimate to the greater size and strength of the NFL.
    --Rob Rang (1/16/17)

4th round- Tanzel Smart DT Tulane- Last mock I went with another DT in this spot and figured I would mix it up a bit, since I have a few selections already that were in my last one. I think Smart is an interesting prospect. His level of competition is obviously not the greatest in college football, playing at Tulane, but I liked what I have seen from him. He is a big guy that can hold his ground against the run, but he can also penetrate to hurry/rush the passer and disrupt the running game. Snacks will make any DT's job easier, so I think Smart and Bromley will be able to hold the other DT spot down. That being said, I would probably prefer to address this position earlier since we lost Hankins in F.A.

5th round- Dawuane Smoot DE Illinois- I just really noticed how far he has fallen on draft boards due to other people rising up them. He was around a 2nd round projection for the longest time. I like his game, especially at this point in the draft. We have JPP, Vernon, Okwara, and others at the position, but I wouldn't be against throwing another pass rusher into the mix. He would be able to learn a lot from guys like JPP/Vernon. Plus, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some more depth at the position in case of injury.

STRENGTHS: Quick out of his stance with the arc speed to attack the outside shoulder of edge blockers. Flashes the flexibility to dip, skim and flatten. Active hands to fight off jabs and get blockers off balance. Controls his body well to redirect in space or use a spin move mid-rush. Comes to balance well in tight spaces with the trained eyes to make stops in the backfield. Lacks ideal size, but plays with a consistent motor and doesn't fatigue easily. Held up well the past two seasons, starting all 24 games. Solid production with 38.5 tackles for loss, 16.5 sacks and five forced fumbles over 24 starts - one of only seven FBS players to post at least 15.0 tackles for loss each of the past two seasons. Received NFL-style coaching in 2016 under head coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Hardy Nickerson.

WEAKNESSES: Undersized lower body with lean features. Lacks the core power or anchor strength to be a consistent edge setter. Can be bullied from his spot in the run game. Not a snatcher and won't overpower NFL blockers with his rush. Bad habit of getting too wide of the pocket or end up behind the quarterback. Needs to develop his counter measures once his initial move stalls. Overeager effort leads to false steps, chasing fakes and abandoning his gap assignments. Didn't take much of a jump from his junior to senior season on film.

--Dane Brugler

6th round- Elijah McGuire RB UL Lafayette- Talented, hard-nosed RB that would be a nice pair with Perkins IMO.

STRENGTHS: McGuire is a square runner with low pad level, using forward lean and run toughness to be productive between the tackles. He uses a good mix of balance and power to do his damage inside, but the athleticism and speed are also present to bounce runs outside, including secondary quickness once he clears the initial level of the defense.
    Considered one of the best athletes in the program, McGuire even joined the Ragin' Cajuns basketball team in January 2016 once the football season ended, playing in 16 games off the bench.
    While his athleticism and toughness stand out on film, McGuire's most impressive trait might be his receiving ability with strong hand-eye coordination to pluck the ball out of the air and quickly create. And he doesn't just run screens or take advantage of dump-offs, McGuire will run routes and occasionally line up in the slot as a receiver - evidence by his 11.5 yards per catch career average. Does some of his best work with defenders draped all over him downfield, getting his head turned to find, locate and secure the catch.

WEAKNESSES: McGuire has shown the ability to break a long run and be a home run threat, but he has room to improve his run tempo and decisiveness to better string together runs. He can be too patient at times, allowing the defense to swallow him up while he is waiting for a hole to open. He isn't immune to the occasional drop.

IN OUR VIEW: There isn't a clear-cut No. 1 senior running back prospect in the 2017 draft class, but McGuire is certainly a strong contender. And although he isn't a household name (yet), McGuire is definitely a prospect to keep on the radar entering the 2016 college football season.

COMPARES TO: Kenneth Dixon, LA-Lafayette -- The McGuire-Dixon comparisons make a lot of sense. Both are run with low pad levels, finish their carries and add versatility as receivers out of the backfield.
    --Dane Brugler, @dpbrugler (9/20/16)

7th round- Nathan Gerry S Nebraska- This is a guy that made a TON of plays in his college career. I think the fact that Nebraska has been an average team at best for most of his career is a good reason why he is not as talked about as he could/should. He is currently projected to go undrafted on CBS Sports, but I think that in the 7th round this could be a really solid pick. At the very least Gerry will be able to be a guy on ST's that will make an impact. He is a big kid who can make tackles in the open field, deliver a big hit, and make plays on the ball in coverage. I am a big fan of the potential of a Collins/Thompson safety duo for years, but I think Gerry would be a guy that would be great for depth. Spags has used 3 safety looks in his past, so having another capable safety would be a good idea, especially in case of injury.
    sigpic
    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
    6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn

Comment

Elijah McGuire highlights

Nate Gerry highlights
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post

Elijah McGuire highlights

Nate Gerry highlights
        Elijah McGuire is actually visiting the Giants according to Ian Rapoport.

And Gerry i've heard good things about. PFF loves him

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
          Elijah McGuire is actually visiting the Giants according to Ian Rapoport.

And Gerry i've heard good things about. PFF loves him
          I didn't hear that about McGuire. I really like his game. He is great at catching out of the backfield and runs really hard.

Gerry is a fun player to watch. Living in the Midwest I saw him play a ton (a good amount live). He makes plays all over the place.

I put those videos in a separate post, because it doesn't let you embed more than 3 videos in one post. I think the mock I have above those would be a solid one. Although probably not my ideal picks in certain spots, I still think it would help the team out quite a bit
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
            I didn't hear that about McGuire. I really like his game. He is great at catching out of the backfield and runs really hard.

Gerry is a fun player to watch. Living in the Midwest I saw him play a ton (a good amount live). He makes plays all over the place.

I put those videos in a separate post, because it doesn't let you embed more than 3 videos in one post. I think the mock I have above those would be a solid one. Although probably not my ideal picks in certain spots, I still think it would help the team out quite a bit
            i think it would be a very good draft too and gets a lot covered that the team needs. I think Smoot and Smart may go a bit earlier though. I'm starting to get the feeling the Giants are either getting Howard or not taking a TE in this draft. I think the draft would have to fall a specific way for the Giants to go Njoku at 23, but i wouldnt be mad at the pick at all. Garcia in the 3rd is good value for a player we could develop into a future OT for us.

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
              i think it would be a very good draft too and gets a lot covered that the team needs. I think Smoot and Smart may go a bit earlier though. I'm starting to get the feeling the Giants are either getting Howard or not taking a TE in this draft. I think the draft would have to fall a specific way for the Giants to go Njoku at 23, but i wouldnt be mad at the pick at all. Garcia in the 3rd is good value for a player we could develop into a future OT for us.
              I'm kind of in the boat where if we go TE in the first I would only want it to be Howard, but if we picked Njoku I would understand completely, because he is a unique talent at the position.

I could definitely see Smoot going higher. I saw that he was projected that low on CBS Sports now and was pretty shocked.

I think that would be a good mix of defensive and offensive playmakers. I'm really interested in that Bowser LB from Houston. He plays a lot like Floyd and the idea of getting someone like that in the 2nd would be awesome. McGuire and Perkins would be an exciting RB duo too I think
              sigpic

Comment

Nate "The White Snake" Gerry

I'll take him

Comment

Working...
                X