Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the Giants "WTF?" pick this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the Giants "WTF?" pick this year?

Every year, the Giants draft someone that almost no one had predicted. The "tremendous upside" guys Reece talks up that leave even the draft analysts confused. They're usually guys that the Giants can take in way later rounds or as an UDFA. Not that they don't have talent, but still leaves you going "wtf?".

My nomination this year is: Round 3 - Tyler Orlofsky, C, WVU

Draft Projection: Round 6-7
    NFL Comparison: Corey Linsley

Bottom Line Has the natural power to face off and compete against NFL nose guards, but lack of length and leverage could put a cap on where teams are willing to draft him. Functional in space. Lack of lateral quickness isn't a big enough weakness to prevent him from making a living as an NFL starter. Though limited, he has average starter's potential.

Who do you nominate?

I think Reese already had his WTF moment when he overpaid for Ellison. Don't necessarily mind the player, but can't imagine another team paying that much for such little production. Let's hope that was it, and Reese got it out of his system.

In the draft, if he does have a WTF moment, I think it'll be not drafting a OL or LB. I can also see him grabbing a CB in the 1st, which would make me scratch my head a bit.
    NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
    Garrett Bolles - OT
    David Njoku - TE
    Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

im not sure of any like out there names that he'll draft or anything that we havent heard of because well, i havent heard of them haha. but i can see him taking someone projected later and Reese taking him early. i think the 3rd round may be the round in happens in too. Giants got a 53 pick wait between rounds 3 and 4 so i can see Reese grabbing someone there he really likes but doesnt want to risk waiting to round 4.

Comment

josh dobbs round 1 would be a mind bender, or maybe a trade up (in rounds 1 or 2 most likely) to get a QB

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post
          josh dobbs round 1 would be a mind bender
          that would be beyond a "mind bender" that would be the beginning of the end of JR's career here.

Comment

Originally posted by u2good View Post
            Every year, the Giants draft someone that almost no one had predicted. The "tremendous upside" guys Reece talks up that leave even the draft analysts confused. They're usually guys that the Giants can take in way later rounds or as an UDFA. Not that they don't have talent, but still leaves you going "wtf?".

My nomination this year is: Round 3 - Tyler Orlofsky, C, WVU

Draft Projection: Round 6-7
            NFL Comparison: Corey Linsley

Bottom Line Has the natural power to face off and compete against NFL nose guards, but lack of length and leverage could put a cap on where teams are willing to draft him. Functional in space. Lack of lateral quickness isn't a big enough weakness to prevent him from making a living as an NFL starter. Though limited, he has average starter's potential.

Who do you nominate?
            I nominate any player coming from Boston College or Syracuse these players usually are average at best and we always seem to draft them high like teams are breaking down the door to take these players.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
              I think Reese already had his WTF moment when he overpaid for Ellison. Don't necessarily mind the player, but can't imagine another team paying that much for such little production. Let's hope that was it, and Reese got it out of his system.

In the draft, if he does have a WTF moment, I think it'll be not drafting a OL or LB. I can also see him grabbing a CB in the 1st, which would make me scratch my head a bit.
              Way overpaid. But maybe seeing he knew he could not enter the bidding wars for the OTs that went for way more then they were worth he figured he'd get this guy to line up and block on one of the ends to maybe help protect the blindside. Still could of done it cheaper I'm.

Yep he always reaches for a guy that leaves even the Analysts scratching their heads saying he could of got them at the back end or even as an UDFA yet he takes them in round 3 or so.

Many times the pick leaves us sayin' "Who?" And scrambling to look the guy up, Lol

We can't really afford to have that happen as we need to hit on every pick this year
              Football has been very, very good to us.
              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
              4-New York Giants!!!
              5-NE
              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Adam Shaheen. a division II tight end. If we take him in the 2nd, I will most definitely say WTF.
                2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
                Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
                Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
                Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
                Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
                Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
                Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post
                  Adam Shaheen. a division II tight end. If we take him in the 2nd, I will most definitely say WTF.
                  JR has done it every Draft sometimes more then once per Draft so you know he will do it this weekend. I tend to think it won't be on a TE like BlueSabbeth cause Its such a deep draft at that position. I would say he reaches for a guy that's an O Lineman. After the top three are gone he will reach for someone in rounds 1 or 2 he could probably get in middle to back end rounds just so he us not shut out at the position lol. It will happen
                  Football has been very, very good to us.
                  After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                  But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                  2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                  3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                  4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE
                  Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I'll take a crack. Going with Natedog Peterman in the 2nd. Guy has 4th maybe even 5th round grade from a lot of people, but due to lack of QBs this year will mostly be a 2nd, possibly 3rd round pick. He has some good qualities, but is missing the deep ball and arm strength. I don't necessarily dislike him, but would rather take someone like him later if we go that route. If it were up to me, I'd prob wait until next year to find a groomable QB.
                    2017 Draft Wishlist:
                    1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
                    2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
                    3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
                    4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
                    5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
                    6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
                    7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
                    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
                    - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I gotta disagree, that's right where he belongs and he's one of the few solid all around TEs in a draft w lots of tweeners at the position, which I don't mind and seems to be the direction the position is heading. He's def 2nd round talent and I think would be a good pick for us
                      2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
                      "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
                      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

+1 along with gerald everett and bucky hodges

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
                          I gotta disagree, that's right where he belongs and he's one of the few solid all around TEs in a draft w lots of tweeners at the position, which I don't mind and seems to be the direction the position is heading. He's def 2nd round talent and I think would be a good pick for us
                          Agreed, I would be just fine if we went after him. Seems to have the mold of a mini-Gronk and, as you mentioned, isn't a tweener. If this OL group is weak this year, we'll need a TE that can block as well as catch/run.
                          NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
                          Garrett Bolles - OT
                          David Njoku - TE
                          Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
                            I don't disagree that he could end up being a good player. But help me out here. I can only think of 2 division II Tight Ends that woud be considered good TEs in the NFL. Zach Miller and Delanie Walker. Both were 6th round picks I think, and Walker was a far superior prospect. I would prefer a 2nd round player that got it done against quality competition. I'm also not sure I've seen one mock that has him going before our pick in the 3rd round. I would say WTF, whether anyone disagrees or not. ha Cause I don't want a player in the 2nd that we could have a good chance of getting in the 3rd.
                            2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
                            Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
                            Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
                            Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
                            Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
                            Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
                            Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Comment

I'm also not sure I've seen one mock that has him going before our pick in the 3rd round. I would say WTF, whether anyone disagrees or not. ha Cause I don't want a player in the 2nd that we could have a good chance of getting in the 3rd.
                              Check those boards again, I've consistently seen him going in the mid-late 2nd round now (possibly early 3rd). He's someone who has driven up the boards since his killer combine and gained more stock after a great pro day.. his speed is exceptional for 6'6" 278. You can take his division into consideration but I think his numbers even that out, as he outperformed the other top prospects there (and I realize numbers aren't everything but they don't lie either:
                              Howard: 45 catches, 595 yds, 3 TDs
                              Njoku: 43 catches, 595 yds, 3 TDs
                              Everett: 49 catches, 77 yds, 4 TDs
                              Shaheen: 57 catches, 867, 16 TDs

I say no way is he there for our 3rd round pick. Someone will see his measurable, numbers, testing, and want an all around TE.
                              2017 Draft Wishlist:

sigpic
                              - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X