Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Pick Secret

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1st Pick Secret

    With such a short time until the draft why is Cleveland keeping their selection such a big secret. In the past 1st pick teams have announced their choice and I believe they began negotiating. They have the 1st and 4th. No one considers such a QB needing team to trade out of 1st, and to where? Right now it's no secrte the Jest are going QB, the Giants aren't advertising who they want and the 4th pick could eb trade bait but fir what after Browns select Darnold or Rosen themn Barkely at 4 or trade at the 4th. Cleveland becomes in an instant a high scoring offense game controlling offense. It is the Browns after all so they may trade their picks to New England.

  • #2
    Cleveland is doing what real NFL teams do with the draft no matter where they are picking maybe they could bait some sucker to come up to #1 and draft Darold while all along they wanted barkely and get some picks and there QB at 4,if the old regime was still here I would worry that sucker would be us.

    Comment


    • #3
      I heard on Sirius that the NFL has discouraged teams with the #1 pick from announcing their pick before the draft ... they want to build up suspense before draft night....

      Comment


      • #4
        Part of the reason might be to keep the Giants guessing. If the Browns announce who they plan to pick, then essentially the Giants are on the clock and can then start serious negotiations for that pick, if they intend to trade down, or they can firm up their strategy for the later rounds. If, for example, the Browns go QB and the Giants want Barkley, then the Giants would know with some certainty that they've addressed their RB need.

        Comment


        • #5
          There's no real dominant majority consensus for the No. 1 pick this year unlike Garrett, Luck, Newton, etc. It happens.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cheapseats View Post
            Part of the reason might be to keep the Giants guessing. If the Browns announce who they plan to pick, then essentially the Giants are on the clock and can then start serious negotiations for that pick, if they intend to trade down, or they can firm up their strategy for the later rounds. If, for example, the Browns go QB and the Giants want Barkley, then the Giants would know with some certainty that they've addressed their RB need.
            Iím not sure how keeping the Giants guessing benefits the Browns

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by big blue dog View Post
              Cleveland is doing what real NFL teams do with the draft no matter where they are picking maybe they could bait some sucker to come up to #1 and draft Darold while all along they wanted barkely and get some picks and there QB at 4,if the old regime was still here I would worry that sucker would be us.
              So your saying The Giants aren't a real team? Then why root for them?

              Comment


              • #8
                The things teams like the Giants and others are doing is trying to throw off other teams because you don't want other teams to see your hand. Its a lot like a poker game. Believe none of the rumors If the media says The Giants don't want this player or that player or that we are not into this years QB class don't believe it the Giants are just leaking that stuff to throw other teams off. This happens every year.

                is it any wonder that the Giants went to every big QB's pro day did they go to every big Running Back's pro day or Every big Offensive lines pro day I think we are getting a QB...
                Last edited by Donnie Yen; 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  One would think this new regime would be better than the old regime being jumped for Conklin, Floyd, Hunt, etc... in the draft. lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Kimberly Jones who is one of the nicest kindest people on WFAN I Love her! she says that if its a definite that the Browns are taking a QB and the Giants really like Barkley why not make it known?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      this hasnt happened since the structured rookie contracts came in. Every draft pick has a set contract based on their draft position - money wise. Back in the day teams would say theyre taking like Bradford first and start working on a contract because it could be a long negotiation process.

                      it's probably also highly discouraged by the league for ratings and all as well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

                        So your saying The Giants aren't a real team? Then why root for them?
                        what are you talking about DG has our draft under raps,my post was just answering why clebveland was keeping the first pick a secret.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Because if they play their cards right they could get the two players they want most. Showing their hand may or may not have an actual impact, but the smart move is to not.

                          That and as someone else pointed out, maybe they don't want any of the QB's and are hoping to fool some team in to overpaying for the top spot.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PMcC View Post
                            Because if they play their cards right they could get the two players they want most. Showing their hand may or may not have an actual impact, but the smart move is to not.

                            That and as someone else pointed out, maybe they don't want any of the QB's and are hoping to fool some team in to overpaying for the top spot.
                            Would really be cool if we traded our 2nd to Cleveland for their 1st next year and a second this year . That would give us the 4th pick , 33rd pick and the 34 this year , and 2 #1s next year . Of course I don't know the points value of said picks , but that sounds like a nice little haul to give up 2 spots . We take Nelson at 4 , and back to back picks in 2nd (essentially , 2 late 1st round picks )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't see an issue with Cleveland keeping who they're picking at No. 1 a secret. They have two picks in the top 4 and will likely grab 2 stud players. No reason for the Browns to tip their hand to the rest of the league especially when they'll have a big impact on how the the first round plays out.
                              One of these teams is not like the others

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X