Superbowl Era Teams that have Won or Competed in Multiple Superbowls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl Era Teams that have Won or Competed in Multiple Superbowls

I was looking up the list of past Superbowl Champion teams and contending teams and noticed something interesting. There have been quite a few teams that have won or competed in multiple Superbowls in a short amount of years. I noticed a lot of these teams have something in common for the most part. All had great QB play (obviously) but also most had great RBs as well. Not just good but most are HOFers. Heres the list:

Packers- Late 60s- Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor- HOF
    Dolphins- Early 70s- Larry Csonka- HOF
    Steelers- Late 70s- Franco Harris- HOF
    49ers- 80s- Roger Craig- Borderline HOF
    Bears- Mid 80s- Walter Payton- HOF (Added to the list just out of pure dominance)
    Dallas- 90s- Emmit Smith- HOF
    Broncos- Late 90s- Terrell Davis- HOF
    Rams- Early 2000s- Marshal Faulk- HOF
    Patriots- 2000s- Bill B- GOAT

Its easy to say that RB position is no longer valuable and its not that important, history dictates otherwise. Some will argue that the game has evolved and that running backs are a dime a dozen and you can dont need them to be successful. Looking at the way the NFL is trending and evolving I think you are going to see more teams turn back to Power Running schemes and multi faceted RBs to combat the types of players NFL Defenses are using now. For people to be up and arms over picking a RB who is basically analyzed to be HOF caliber is crazy. I agree if Peyton Manning is there at 2 you take him but im not sold on any of the QBs in this draft in the top 10. I am just excited to see if management can continue to build around some of the amazing talent we have here. Enjoy it while it lasts, it doesnt come around very often.

Good post but

You left out The NY Giants
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
      Good post but

I think he was naming HoF running backs .

Comment

Good post but

The Giants teams had to much space between there contending teams. I would have liked to put them on the list but they didn't make the cut.

Comment

Good post but

When did the Bears win or compete in multiple SBs??
          Football has been very, very good to us.
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
          4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE
          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

But i get the point of his post!!
            Football has been very, very good to us.
            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
            4-New York Giants!!!
            5-NE
            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by MagicManning View Post
              I was looking up the list of past Superbowl Champion teams and contending teams and noticed something interesting. There have been quite a few teams that have won or competed in multiple Superbowls in a short amount of years. I noticed a lot of these teams have something in common for the most part. All had great QB play (obviously) but also most had great RBs as well. Not just good but most are HOFers. Heres the list:

Packers- Late 60s- Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor- HOF
              Dolphins- Early 70s- Larry Csonka- HOF
              Steelers- Late 70s- Franco Harris- HOF
              49ers- 80s- Roger Craig- Borderline HOF
              Bears- Mid 80s- Walter Payton- HOF (Added to the list just out of pure dominance)
              Dallas- 90s- Emmit Smith- HOF
              Broncos- Late 90s- Terrell Davis- HOF
              Rams- Early 2000s- Marshal Faulk- HOF
              Patriots- 2000s- Bill B- GOAT

Its easy to say that RB position is no longer valuable and its not that important, history dictates otherwise. Some will argue that the game has evolved and that running backs are a dime a dozen and you can dont need them to be successful. Looking at the way the NFL is trending and evolving I think you are going to see more teams turn back to Power Running schemes and multi faceted RBs to combat the types of players NFL Defenses are using now. For people to be up and arms over picking a RB who is basically analyzed to be HOF caliber is crazy. I agree if Peyton Manning is there at 2 you take him but im not sold on any of the QBs in this draft in the top 10. I am just excited to see if management can continue to build around some of the amazing talent we have here. Enjoy it while it lasts, it doesnt come around very often.
              cool info dude. nice study! You know the verse....

There is Nothing entirely new under the ...

Comment

Nothing new under the sun definition at Dictionary.com, a free online dictionary with pronunciation, synonyms and translation. Look it up now!

Comment

IMO, The 70s Dolphins were the team that really dominated with just running the ball down people's throats. They won with just smashmouth football & tough defense.

During their 3 yr SB run from 71-72-73, their O's run game rankings

1971-Miami #1 run team 2,429 yds 173ypg 5.0 ypc 11 TDs
                  1972-Miami #1 run team 2,960yds 211ypg 4.8 ypc 26 TDs
                  1973-Miami #3 run team 2,521 yds 180ypg 5.0 ypc 16 TDs

Miami Dolphins defensive rankings in points allowed 71-72-73:

1971-Miami D #4 174 PA 12.4 ppg
                  1972-Miami D #2 171 PA 12.1 ppg
                  1973-Miami D #2 150 PA 10.7 ppg

Miami Dolphins pass rankings 71-72-73

1971-Miami #19 1,983 yds 141 ypg 20 TDs Overall ranks #4 O #3 D
                  1972-Miami #15 2,076 yds 148 ypg 17 TDs Overall ranks #1 O #1 D
                  1973-Miami #21 1,582 yds 113 ypg 17 TDs Overall ranks #5 O #1 D

Bob Griese barely had to throw the ball in both their SB wins, that's how dominating their run game & Defense was. D held both Wash/Minn to 7pts each.

SB VII Griese 8 com 11 att 88yds 1 TD 1 Int
                  SB VIII Griese 6 com 7 att 73yds 0 TD 0 Int

So in my book, Miami in the mid 70s was the definition of run the ball, stop the run, rush the passer. Great run game & great D is a very hard combo to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
                    IMO, The 70s Dolphins were the team that really dominated with just running the ball down people's throats. They won with just smashmouth football & tough defense.

During their 3 yr SB run from 71-72-73, their O's run game rankings

1971-Miami #1 run team 2,429 yds 173ypg 5.0 ypc 11 TDs
                    1972-Miami #1 run team 2,960yds 211ypg 4.8 ypc 26 TDs
                    1973-Miami #3 run team 2,521 yds 180ypg 5.0 ypc 16 TDs

Miami Dolphins defensive rankings in points allowed 71-72-73:

1971-Miami D #4 174 PA 12.4 ppg
                    1972-Miami D #2 171 PA 12.1 ppg
                    1973-Miami D #2 150 PA 10.7 ppg

Miami Dolphins pass rankings 71-72-73

1971-Miami #19 1,983 yds 141 ypg 20 TDs Overall ranks #4 O #3 D
                    1972-Miami #15 2,076 yds 148 ypg 17 TDs Overall ranks #1 O #1 D
                    1973-Miami #21 1,582 yds 113 ypg 17 TDs Overall ranks #5 O #1 D

Bob Griese barely had to throw the ball in both their SB wins, that's how dominating their run game & Defense was. D held both Wash/Minn to 7pts each.

SB VII Griese 8 com 11 att 88yds 1 TD 1 Int
                    SB VIII Griese 6 com 7 att 73yds 0 TD 0 Int

So in my book, Miami in the mid 70s was the definition of run the ball, stop the run, rush the passer. Great run game & great D is a very hard combo to beat.
                    Very good post and thank you for it.
                    I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

85 07
                      Last edited by TEM; 05-05-2018, 06:12 AM.
                      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by MagicManning View Post

The Giants teams had to much space between there contending teams. I would have liked to put them on the list but they didn't make the cut.
                        86 90 is too much space 07- 15 is too much space?

Tha bears had 22 years but you added them . Your reason for leaving out the Giants is not consistent with your list.

But I do get the premise of your post.
                        Last edited by TEM; 05-05-2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

86 90 is too much space 07- 15 is too much space?

Tha bears had 22 years but you added them . Your reason for leaving out the Giants is not consistent with your list.

But I do get the premise of your post.
                          I added them because of there dominance in 1985 and out of respect for Walter Payton. Had Barry Sanders won a Superbowl he would be on here as well
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Also the Bears didn't make it to the SB in 1986 but they were very dominant to the tune of a 14-2 record. They were upset in the playoffs by the Redskins. The NFC was crazy good that year. Redskins, Bears, Niners and Giants were all real tough.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

Mike, he said he just threw them in there as a salute to Walter Payton. He forgot 2 years of Seattle and Marshawn Lynch.

Comment

Working...
                              X